Poll- Podcast rating-my 2 cents.

Questions, comments, quips, criticisms, suggestions & compliments regarding the podcast and this forum.
Cthuhugh
Sponsor
Sponsor
Poll- Podcast rating-my 2 cents.

Post by Cthuhugh » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:30 am

Hi Guys,
as you know the MU podcast is my favorite (if I haven't already made that clear) so I thought I'd tell you why I opted for the main naughty words to be bleeped.
I'm married to a Chef so you can imagine the language at home can get quite strong. I'm completely un-offended and non judgemental with swearing and I do it myself,however I try not to do it around the kids which brings me to my point.

I like to pop the iphone into the speaker dock when I'm listening around the house and on speaker in the car and that can't happen when the swear words are left in and the little terrors are about.So I guess I'm suggesting that the utility of listening to the podcast in certain circumstances is limited with blue language-and may put off potential regular listeners who are offended (not me) by swearing.

At the end of the day its your podcast and whatever decision is made on this issue I'll still be a loyal listener,just my 2 cents.. :D
Steve Highfield in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario. Fenton Beanland in the Call of Cthulhu "The Inheritor " scenario.

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor
Re: Poll- Podcast rating-my 2 cents.

Post by Keeper Jon » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:44 am

And just to let you guys know a little bit about me, I'm also guilty of having lots of profanity-laced language... maybe it has something to do with my time in the Army, lots of swearing there for sure. But, now that I'm a father to a 3 1/2 year old, and about to have a new one in October, I am working to clean up my language as well.

If my vote counts for anything, I say we keep our regular show, which is edited by Dan, as clean as we can keep it. But, the Live Play shows are just too difficult to edit, so I think we should leave those episodes "blue."

Wordcraftian
Senior
Senior

Post by Wordcraftian » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:00 pm

I like the language of the shows. Not swearing in the main show makes it sound a little more professional, and the swearing that happens in the live play adds color and depth. Helps make the experience a little more relatable, I think. I say keep up the great work.

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:24 am

What would be preferable for a sensor, beep or mute? Or maybe a sound effect?
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Wordcraftian
Senior
Senior

Post by Wordcraftian » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:16 pm

For the love of god just mute please. The beeps and sound effects are terrible to listen to through earbuds. Plus, you don't really want to call attention to the fact that you're editing by highlighting it every time somebody slips up. Just my opinion though.

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:22 pm

I agree with Woodcraftian, on other podcasts, when they do a bleep sound effect it is usually extremely jarring and/or loud in earbuds. But, if we do go with a bleep sound effect, maybe we could make it very quiet.

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:44 am

Okay. 13 will be the last episode with beeps. I didn't know they made the beep a problem with earbuds as I use over-the-ear headphones.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:39 pm

I'm a earbuds guy too -- if you take the beep volume level down to about half of the peak volume and round off the fade-ins-and-outs just a little, they're much better. I think a sound effect can be fun if it doesn't sound too silly. Maybe some low-frequency part of the monster sound you use in the bumpers?

Now that I've heard Cthuhugh's argument for the freedom to listen to a podcast in your garage while kids are around, I'm swayed toward bleeping the main episodes and trying to keep it otherwise mostly clean so Dan doesn't spend too much more time in the editing room.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:21 pm

Dr. Gerard wrote:I'm a earbuds guy too -- if you take the beep volume level down to about half of the peak volume and round off the fade-ins-and-outs just a little, they're much better. I think a sound effect can be fun if it doesn't sound too silly. Maybe some low-frequency part of the monster sound you use in the bumpers?
Great idea! :cthulhudance: