203 - Starfall Over the Plateau of Leng 05

Discussion of the Skype of Cthulhu podcast.
WiseWolf
Associate Professor
203 - Starfall Over the Plateau of Leng 05

Post by WiseWolf » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:45 pm

Skype of Cthulhu presents a Call of Cthulhu scenario : Starfall Over the Plateau of Leng by Jon Hook. Published by Goodman Games.

Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Autumn, 1926

Mr. Freeman has disappeared into the cave pool, and been gone far too long for anyone to have survived. The remaining Investigators must now try to proceed on without him.

Dramatis Persone:
  • Gary as Peter Peterson;
  • Jim as Basil St. John - Smythe;
  • Jon as The Keeper of Arcane Lore;
  • Jonathan as Jack Gordon;
  • Randall as George Freeman.
Download

Howard
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Re: 203 - Starfall Over the Plateau of Leng 05

Post by Howard » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:31 am

I am really enjoying this. I'm glad Jon is the Keeper. It seems(IMO) Keepers who run other author's work in a playtest have trouble. I like the setting. That "Springs" location was the basis of a movie(The Road to Wellville) 20 yrs ago. The Cthulian spin does it some improvement. The story is intriguing and the characters are being played with much color. As difficult as Basil seems to be for the party and the investigation, I often think this is how characters actually would react to these situations. I think players "meta" around how involved their characters are in these deadly investigations(that they normally would have no interest in)for the social contract. Thus is CoC.

Side note to podcasters of actual play. A happy accident occurred when Coleman interrupted play right after the party was split for various investigations. Right when the party reunited, Jon had to take a break and the players were able to share their information and develop a plan without the Keeper present. I know Keepers are "impartial"(very professional word)at their job, but listening to 10 minutes of the party developing a plan, I don't know how they can't mentally prepare(counter) for the actions that are about to occur. So my suggestion is that the Keeper dismisses himself during the analysis paralysis, what could it hurt? Downside is, planning often has a dozen questions the party needs answered(by the present Keeper) in order to nail down the specifics. Just a thought.

WiseWolf
Associate Professor

Post by WiseWolf » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:05 pm

Hey Howard, yes I am sure that Jon took some important notes from the playtest, and improvised a bit given that he knew HIS story very well. The writer been the keeper definitely helps in playtesting.

The interruption was fun, I think we were trying to set up Jon, and see how he reacted to our plans. He managed it pretty well. :)

OT, I noticed a link to Chill community on your link. I want to know more about the system and in general, how it differs from CoC but I haven't been able to find any AP out there. Any hints?
Last edited by WiseWolf on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Howard
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Howard » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:14 am

WiseWolf wrote: I noticed a link to Chill community on your link. I want to know more about the system and in general, how it differs from CoC but I haven't been able to find any AP out there. Any hints?

Here is an AP, there is a better one I currently can't find. The first Edition CHILL is by Pacesetter which changed the title to Crytworld, it used/uses an Action Table, the second edition was by Mayfair which there is currently a Kickstarter for the Third edition using similar mechanics. They all use percentile and a General check(roll under your score)and a Specific check(margin of success). S.A.V.E. is the organization the investigators work for, which is in all editions except Cryptworld. 2nd edition actually dissolved SAVE but they're bringing it back for 3rd.

My thoughts on comparing CoC vs. CHILL is, in Call, it's Lovecraftian in all it's bizarre mythos, cults, tentacles etc. CHILL can be that weird but mostly has the standard Werewolves, vampires, ghosts and mummys. Mechanically, they play pretty similar. Beginning characters in CHILL have a supernatural encounter(in their Background story)which made them a candidate for SAVE membership. They are also just average career guys with all of the same investigation skills you dump points in in CoC. The SAN mechanic is the difference and how it effects the game/your character. CHILL has WIL(power), which dwindles until your babbling in a corner. But you don't expect to go insane in CHILL, you miss a FEAR check, you run away to fight another day.

TravelerJim
Associate Professor

Post by TravelerJim » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:55 am

As difficult as Basil seems to be for the party and the investigation, I often think this is how characters actually would react to these situations.
Heh. Thanks Howard, that's exactly what I was trying for.

WiseWolf
Associate Professor

Post by WiseWolf » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:18 pm

Howard wrote: My thoughts on comparing CoC vs. CHILL is, in Call, it's Lovecraftian in all it's bizarre mythos, cults, tentacles etc. CHILL can be that weird but mostly has the standard Werewolves, vampires, ghosts and mummys. Mechanically, they play pretty similar.
Thanks for the info, and the link. Very helpful.