MU Podcast 064 - Suppressive Fire and Shelves of Mythos

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MU Podcast 064 - Suppressive Fire and Shelves of Mythos

Post by Keeper Dan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:55 am

In episode 64, we cover auto fire rules for Call of Cthulhu 6th Edition, and we talk with Brian about all the many and varied projects he has in the works and on the shelves.
This episode was recorded on September 7, 2014.

Campus Crier
Horrors of War, A Covenant with Death, from Adam Scott Glancy is well past its funding goal, and has another 20-ish days to go until the campaign is done.

A new KickStarter from artist Rhonda Libbey for new Mythos themed Bicycle playing cards.

Cthulhu Reborn
Geoff Gillan’s “Machine King” has been released!
MISKATONIC WEST:
A web series based on the writings of H.P. Lovecraft.
Miskatonic University has a West Coast campus, and it is the center of an attempt to awaken the primordial god Dagon from the vast unknown depths of the Pacific Ocean in “Miskatonic West,” a new webseries set in H.P. Lovecraft’s literary universe. Professor Sousaku Kaos, head of the Biology department, and his intrepid students pull back the curtain on a world of monsters, magic, and mystery as they race against time to stop the Esoteric Cult of Dagon from their eldritch undertaking. Will Kaos and his students prevail, or will the Esoteric Cult of Dagon succeed in unleashing unnameable horrors into the world?

Miskatonic West is the creative spawn of Harry Kakatsakis and Noah James Butler, who are currently crowd funding to help make the inaugural episode. The creators hope that their efforts will in turn launch a complete first season.

“The Southern California setting gives us the opportunity to contribute something new to the Mythos while honoring Lovecraft’s original work,” says Moore. “After all, we know who waits dreaming in the Pacific Ocean.”

“Maintaining Truth, Virtue and Courage in the face of infinite darkness.”
They launched a Kickstarter to get funding for the first episode of the series as a proof of concept.

Mythos Expeditions from Pelgrane now available to the public! The print book is available in their shop, but no sign of PDF only yet.

Cryptocurium Spot
The Witch House Collection
A prop collection of items inspired by H.P. Lovecraft’s tale, “The Dreams in the Witch House”

Side Topic
Listener Feedback-
Sam writes us:
Really enjoyed your last podcast number 62. Heck I haven't heard one yet that wasn't good.
Just wanted to drop a line and tell you that I'm jealous not able to make it to GenCon, I haven't been to a con in decades. Oh that makes me sound old.

I do have a question about combat. I never understood the rules for shotgun and for autofire. So I would just make up my own house rules for them. So could you go over them? I know you will go over them for 7e when it comes out, but I would like to have 6e down first.

Keep up the good work and don't stop what you’re doing PLEASE!!!!!! you guys are awesome!!!!!
Murf made a mistake, not a hoodoo gun, but a Howdah gun, and therefore Howdah box…
“Except at the lowest charge, shooting the pistol can only be described as 'brutal' - my knuckles were bruised, and my wrists felt like they were hit with a bat. “
6e Call of Cthulhu stats:
Skill- Shotgun base +10%
Range- 5 yards
Damage- 1D10 + 2D6 + 7 (Assuming both barrels are fired at once, and contain one with shot, the other with a slug.)

Main Topic
Brian seems to like to keep so many irons in the fire that he can barely see the coals. Here is a listing of the projects he mentioned, past, present, and future.
World War Cthulhu: A Collection of Lovecraftian War Stories by Dark Regions Press
Amazon link
Also, Brian is now the Weird Fiction lead for Dark Regions Press!
The book has done well enough that World War Cthulhu 2 will be published!

Brian edited a book called The Dark Rites of Cthulhu for April Moon Books.
Brian is working on a Werewolf and other shapechanger anthology with April Moon!

Chaosium

Game books-

Call of Cthulhu book with Chaosium for eventual publication. (No release date yet)
Doors to Darkness- Scenarios designed to introduce new Keepers to CoC.
Kevin Ross- intro
Scenarios by:
Brian Sammons
Christopher Smith Adair
Brian Courtemanche
Tom Lynch
Glynn Barrass

Blood Brothers 3!

A Time to Harvest- Campaign by Brian and friends.

Fiction-

Steampunk Cthulhu
Brian is doing with with Golden Goblin Press
De Horrico Cosmico Kickstarter will feature an Invictus fiction anthology as a stretch goal called: “Tales of Cthulhu Invictus

There was mention of the scenario Brian wrote for Tales of the Sleepless City from Miskatonic River Press.
Brian is also a recurring guest on the podcast Evil Episodes.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Wordcraftian
Senior
Senior
Re: MU Podcast 064 - Suppressive Fire and Shelves of Mythos

Post by Wordcraftian » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:32 am

Having trouble getting this to download in iTunes at the moment. Hopefully the gremlins will be dead before I go to work this afternoon, I always look forward to new episodes; makes my 10 hour shift considerably more bearable. :-)

csmithadair
Freshman
Freshman

Post by csmithadair » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:25 pm

I'm also unable to access the episode, but that's through the website itself. That includes trying to download it or save the file, as well as trying to play it on the page itself. When attempting to download it, I get a notice that the connection has timed out.

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:31 pm

Update : It looks like archive.org is having issues.
It looks like the file is corrupt on our file host. Dan will likely have to re-upload it tonight. Sorry guys. I know it was working OK since I and Jon downloaded it, but something must have happened to it since there.

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:39 pm

As Murf said, I have now re-uploaded to archive.org and updated our feed. I just ran a test, and it looks to be working now. :cthulhudance:
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

CthulhuDude
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by CthulhuDude » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:02 pm

Awesome, can't wait to give it a listen...again. :cthulhu1:
“Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk.” ― Robert Bloch

SamS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by SamS » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:42 pm

Thank you Guys for going over my request for Shotgun and Autofire rules discussion. I'm clearer on the rules now.
Sam Stamps
Keeper of my own little reality.

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:13 pm

Nice episode! The tiger video sounds...terrifying.

Dr. Gerard, let me know when you want to run the Cthulhu Dark game! ;)
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Graham » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:15 am

Good episode, looking forward to Episode 63. When you mentioned small caliber shotgun shells I was rather surprised you didn't bring up Velo-Dog pistols, these were small caliber revolvers sold to bicyclists to ward off angry dogs (Seriously!), amongst the ammunition were cartridges loaded with cayenne pepper or dust.

Wikipedia has an article that makes for a reasonable start point:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velo-dog
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

WinstonP
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by WinstonP » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:45 pm

My absolute go-to for all things firearms related is Hans-Christian Vortisch's Investigator Weapons vol. 1 - http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/1 ... C-volume-1 - It is indispensable.