MU Podcast 052 - Ruling the House of the Pre-Generates

Discussion about podcast episodes
EddyPo
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: MU Podcast 052 - Ruling the House of the Pre-Generates

Post by EddyPo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:28 pm

Great episode guys. The discussion on house rules was very helpful. It's given me some "killer" ideas. :twisted:
Not a hack!

Scriven
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Scriven » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:05 pm

Recommend starting a new thread on the Forums where members can post "pre-gens" -- to create kind of a NPC or PC library we all can dip into as needed.
AKA Professor Max von Schiller of the Miskatonic Area Paranormal Society (MAPS)
AKA George Finch of the Secret Everest Expedition
"Let's see if someone tries to kill us and work backwards" -- Dr. Who

SamS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by SamS » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:50 pm

Scriven wrote:Recommend starting a new thread on the Forums where members can post "pre-gens" -- to create kind of a NPC or PC library we all can dip into as needed.

Yes I like that idea. Then some could get put into the next yearbook/Newsletter.
Sam Stamps
Keeper of my own little reality.

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:31 am

Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:24 pm

Big thanks for this episode & for the link to Tabletop Audio (which I love). I do like the idea you put out there with the pregens of giving part or all of the hobby points from Intelligence stat over to the player to come up with so you at least know that the character will have some of the vital skills for where they are going but some degree of freedom similar to what's in the back of the 6th ed. core book of how it deals with the pregenerated characters.

One of the things that I've really enjoyed with some of the Call of Cthulhu games I've played lately, which you touched on with the podcast, was how the characters might know each other which when this was used in the games I was in, made the game interaction 100% better. If it's supplied by the keeper beforehand or something done by the players in the first few minutes (as well as doing a brief day-in-life-of for each character to see what they're day is usually like), stuff like this just helps the immersion of the group as a whole to just have more fun with the characters. One game I was in recently had just about everyone working or worked with one character whom everyone disliked so amid the mystery was also the new conspiracy of all of us thinking that the boss or the one above was doing this as some kind of scheme to get more money at our expense.

As for house rules I'd like to point people to Eclipse Phase, plenty of it is up on Role Playing Public Radio including a good overview of the rules, but as it's a d100% system similar to BRP, there are things in Eclipse that might work as good house rules. One which I love with Eclipse Phase is how instead of the 1/5 impale role of BRP, Eclipse has it where if you role doubles (i.e. 11, 22, 44, 66, etc.) this is a critical though depending on how far above or below it is to your skill roll, this could be a success or a failure. Another thing is instead of the sound of possible abuse from using luck points, with Eclipse Phase there is a Moxie system similar to benes in other games, where a moxie point refreshes at the start of a session & will let the player either flip a die roll (changing a 61 to a 16) or just letting them reroll it. With a max of 10 moxie it still will be limiting to when the player will want to push his/her/it's luck to changing the dice but it limits them. With Savage Worlds I've not done too much time looking into but I've heard of some games where the players have something similar to this but the GM also has one token for every player to use with the NPCs or enemies to keep the players from just mowing over everything in their way if the situation calls for it.

link to the Free Eclipse Phase quickstart rules on drivethrurpg
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/8 ... 00_0_0_0_0
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

Cthuhugh
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Cthuhugh » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:52 am

SamS wrote:
Scriven wrote:Recommend starting a new thread on the Forums where members can post "pre-gens" -- to create kind of a NPC or PC library we all can dip into as needed.

Yes I like that idea. Then some could get put into the next yearbook/Newsletter.
Coming soon...Fenton Beanland.Be afraid..be very afraid....
Steve Highfield in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario. Fenton Beanland in the Call of Cthulhu "The Inheritor " scenario.

Howard
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Howard » Mon May 05, 2014 7:29 am

Good show guys. Good conversation on pre-gens. Cheers!