Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries

Post by fox01313 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:25 am

Just saw this on a thread at Yog-Sothoth & wondering with our British & MUP fans down under about this show - Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. Looks like it'd be a lot of fun but just started down this rabbit hole of TV shows so curious (if it's started) what people thought of it.

"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

Gazza567
Freshman
Freshman
Re: Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries

Post by Gazza567 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:21 am

It is a great show that really explores australia in the 20's very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SamS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by SamS » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:15 am

I'm not downunder, I'm here in the states. But I watched what is available on netflix and loved the show. Can't wait for more.
Sam Stamps
Keeper of my own little reality.

GreatmanKing
Freshman
Freshman

Post by GreatmanKing » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:23 am

I'm from New Zealand, and we get the show here. It's really rather interesting. Good characters, excellent writing and it keeps to the period as far as I'm aware.

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:49 pm

I love this show. The second season is streaming a new episode per week on Acorn Online.

Sent from my Infected Rezound using Tapatalk

Scriven
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Scriven » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:56 am

The missus and I watch this. The finale to season 1 was particularly good. The acting is respectable, the writing a little predictable. There's the invevitable "will they or won't they?" dynamic between the Ms. Fisher and the Detective, which gets a little cloying at times. I find it a little off putting that the entire police force seems to consist of one detective and one officer. Also, I think it may have just a touch of that "Murder She Wrote" dynamic where dead bodies seem to multiply wherever the titular character happens to be.

That being said, it's worth watching for an idea of how to play a liberated, free thinking, self-confident female investigator in a 20s-era context. Very entertaining.

Murf, have you seen any of the "Endeavour" episodes featuring Colin Dexter's Inspector Morse as a young man in the 1960s?
AKA Professor Max von Schiller of the Miskatonic Area Paranormal Society (MAPS)
AKA George Finch of the Secret Everest Expedition
"Let's see if someone tries to kill us and work backwards" -- Dr. Who

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:10 pm

I am a massive Morse fan and am eagerly waiting for the next season to start. I also love Miss Fischer, they are both great shows but I think that the new Endeavor is the better by far.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Scriven
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Scriven » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:50 pm

Yeah, I'm really jonesing on Endeavour. I like the Ms. Fisher stuff quite a bit, despite my criticisms. After we watched the season finale involving her childhood nemesis, I said to my wife, "That's not a bad idea of what a Call of Cthulhu adventure might be like if you threw in some elements of the horrific and uncanny."

And then there's my own personal favorite . . . Foyle's War. I think they last did an abbreviated season of 3 episodes following his work as the Cold War gets into full swing. Really, really good stuff.

Last week, after Downton Abbey, PBS premiered a new mystery series about (I think) a coroner and his assistant during the London blitz. I was only watching it with half my attention, but it seemed pretty well done.

We'll have to have a chin-wag about British mysteries at Gen Con, Murf -- I think we're on the same wavelength there.
AKA Professor Max von Schiller of the Miskatonic Area Paranormal Society (MAPS)
AKA George Finch of the Secret Everest Expedition
"Let's see if someone tries to kill us and work backwards" -- Dr. Who

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:05 pm

Oh most definitely, also if you have a Roku then you can sign up for the Acorn streaming service. They are simulcasting the new seasons of Miss Fischer, Foyle's War, and George Gently.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:22 am

I'll check it on my Netflix. Thanks for the info, people.
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/