MU Podcast 050 - Semicentennial with the Count of Chaosium

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MU Podcast 050 - Semicentennial with the Count of Chaosium

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:03 am

In this episode, we mark a momentous milestone in the mad machinations of our Miskatonic mayhem -- with Chaosium's master of manuscripts, Mike Mason! Along the way, we talk over a whole sheaf of topics, from reinventing Lovecraft to the vagaries of Keeper style and tips for getting published. What's more, all four members of the MU assembly miraculously manage to materialize! Plus more in this memorable masterpiece...(ok enough with the alliteration already but it was pretty good).

Campus Crier
In Kickstarter news, Golden Goblin Press is well into its campaign for Tales of the Crescent City. They passed their main goal within a day of launching, and then proceeded to smash through stretch goals like a drunk Gug looking for the bathroom.

In case you missed it, Murph interviewed Oscar Rios in the early days of that campaign.

Delta Green: Tales from Failed Anatomies

We also get an update from a certain inside source on two mega-funded Chaosium Kickstarters, 7th Edition and Horror on the Orient Express.

Plus, announcing a date for the MUP Yearbook: it will be ready to release electronically for our two-year anniversary, on March 25!

We're also launching an MUP Crowd Fund campaign (probably Indygogo) for late April or Early May to cover some equipment costs and transport to get all of us to GenCon!

New Crier format.
We are now recording the next show on the day that a show releases. This allows us to do the impossible, same day news cycles! That means that this specific episode has a double Crier, in that we recorded one two weeks ago, and another one today.

Chaosium made a post in the updates for the Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition Kickstarter that show mock-ups of cover art for the Keeper’s book and the Player’s Guide.

The 10th Most Influential Rhode Islander: HP LOVECRAFT. Not a contemporary of Poe.

Horror on the Orient Express LIVE??

He Who Laughs Last - A Cthulhu Dark RPG Scenario

The One Literary Reference You Must Know to Appreciate ​True Detective

1d4Con game submissions end tonight!

Feedback!
On episode 049 and possible scenario ideas based on horror games?

Hey Keepers, this is Jenny. I've been a listener for a while (since episode 37) and finally decided to send in an e-mail! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to play in a Cthulhu game yet but I want to eventually change that. On episode 49 you talked about Lovecraftian video games and it reminded me of something.

I don't know if any of you know about Role Playing Game Maker (RPG Maker) games. There's quite a few good horror games that might be able to spark some interesting scenario ideas.

This site has some translated from Japanese games that might be of interest: http://www.vgperson.com/games/ There's also multiple walk-throughs done on YouTube. In particular, I'll recommend the Witch's House. This game is about a young teenage girl, Viola, stuck in a peculiar house. If the player does some in-game investigation (there's quite a few books labeled "Diary of the Witch") the truth of this scenario is revealed. Not to mention the fact that Viola can die very often and in various ways if the player isn't careful.

I won't spoil the secret but it's quite a shock! I also recommend Ib (pronounced Eeb) and Mad Father but out of the three games, the Witch's House is definitely the most horrific.

Hope you like the suggestion and go Pods!

Sincerely,
Jenny

Card Catalog
This week's hidden online resource is elegantly named...F**k Yeah, the 1920’s! (Fill in your own blanks, there.) It's a great source of images -- check out some examples here and here.

Cryptocurium-
The Horror in Clay
This sculpt will be retired soon, so get it while it lasts!

Main Topic
While talking about how to rework the Mythos for you games, we mention Graham Walmsley's Stealing Cthulhu, a book about...stealing things from Cthulhu and other Lovecraftian inventions. We talked to him in episode 26.

How to get published or noticed by a publisher - aspiring writers, artists, etc.

Somehow, we get onto the topic of guerrilla marketing and supernatural prankstership, like the coffee shop scene to promote Carrie, the elevator ghost prank in a Brazilian reality show, and the Japanese TV dinosaur attacks.

We also get a glimpse into Mike's accent repertoire, a Chaosium project Dan worked on, and some scandalous rumors about Wales!
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

SamS
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: MU Podcast 050 - Semicentennial with the Count of Chaosi

Post by SamS » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:29 am

Congratulations on 50 episodes!!!!!!!
You guys are Great!
Thank you for helping inspire me, and I'm sure many others, to get back into gaming again.

Sam
Sam Stamps
Keeper of my own little reality.

Citysliker
Junior
Junior

Post by Citysliker » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:03 pm

Congratulations guys on hitting the half century and hitting it with a great episode. One of the best interviews yet with Mr Mason.

Keep up the good work fellas and thank you :)

EddyPo
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by EddyPo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:45 pm

Congratulations on your 50th episode. Did you ever think you'd make it 50? Did you ever dream you'd have the guests on that you've had? :)

Your interview with Mike Mason was inspiring.

Great job! Here's to the next 50.
Not a hack!

hastur
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by hastur » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:29 am

hear, hear!
say it three times, girl
there's no tomorrow
and there's no today
say it three times
i'm not far away

i survived the Post GenCon Random Bizarre BS episode

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:04 am

Thanks guys! I can't state enough how much I love doing this. Becoming a podcaster has honestly changed my life, due in no small part to all of you.
I honestly tried my best to not have too many preconceived notions of how long we'd be doing this. As it stands, I hope to continue doing this for many years to come. While the evolution of the show and community will come with time, I have no intention of leaving this. The people I've met and the friends I've made have been worth every moment of work that's gone into it.

And sorry for missing Mike's F-Bomb. I was so careful to get all of Murf's that I missed his. Damn. :x :cry:
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

R.J. MacReady
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by R.J. MacReady » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:48 am

Congrats MUP faculty! You are truly stellar. I hope you continue this for many years to come as well Dan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“What would an ocean be without a monster lurking in the dark? It would be like sleep without dreams.”

― Werner Herzog

SeaOfTrouble
Freshman
Freshman

Post by SeaOfTrouble » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:16 pm

True Detective was mentioned on the show, and I have been glued to watching it like Murph. This got me thinking of other COC style tv shows and movies like the Ruins. I have not heard :fhtagn: The Banshee Chapter :fhtagn: mentioned (sorry if I just missed it somehow). The The Banshee Chapter is a must see for any horror based rpg lover. It to me is an investigation turned into a movie if I ever saw one. You will thank me if you take the time :)

Congrats on the 50th show. COC has been my favorite system since the first time I played it in 1988. Listening to your podcast just makes me aware that there are many other people with amazingly good taste in the world. I run a steampunk based COC game, and run a steampunk guild called North Star Steam, listening to this podcast gives me allot of good info and inspiration :cthulhudance:

SeaOfTrouble@gmail.com

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:40 am

Just started listening to this but did want to say rather immediately, CONGRATS on getting to episode 50! Just a sign that you guys are doing a stellar job. Hope you all get to Gencon as it's been long overdue that you all can finally meet up & maybe even play a quick one shot locally for once. :rock:
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:43 pm

Do agree 999% with Murph (how even if it's just republishing in PDF only format), i'd love to see more older & out of print scenarios get put up on Chaosium. And I'd be happy to help Chaosium out in any way I can on that (either as a graphic designer or play tester).

Also love the idea of opening up the future scenario collections to new writers, now that I'm moved, I can get back to writing my 1st scenario.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)