Your top five Call of Cthulhu scenarios

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: Your top five Call of Cthulhu scenarios

Post by Shannon Mac » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:21 pm

Has anyone run all of DAY OF THE BEAST? I've heard a mix of good and bad reviews.
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

Gladius
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Gladius » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:13 pm

Shannon Mac wrote:Has anyone run all of DAY OF THE BEAST? I've heard a mix of good and bad reviews.
Yes, I ran the entire Day of the Beast campaign. It's classic Keith Herber. Some great stuff. Shorter than Masks, but there is probably a bit of overlap in terms of "look and feel" between the two.

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:38 pm

Herber is in my top five of COC authors. Big fan of "Edge of Darkness".
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:30 am

Just want to second the MTS37 endorsement, though perhaps my perspective is unfairly influenced since I played it with the author keeping. The way it sparks paranoia among players is sinister, and emulates the nuances of that historical setting extremely well. But I do like my horror bleak. It also references my very favorite HPL story.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:43 am

My list is comprised of scenarios that I've either loved reading, or loved running...

1. The Return of Old Reliable, by Oscar Rios, published in Atomic-Age Cthulhu
2. The Hermetic Order of the Silver Twilight, by Sandy Peterson, published in Shadows of Yog-Sothoth
3. The Pale God, by Kevin Ross, published in The Great Old Ones
4. The Ilsley Variant, by Rick Hudson, published in Dead Leaves Fall (and other Halloween Horrors)
5. Garrison, Montana, by Keith "Doc" Herber, published in Spawn of Azathoth

WiseWolf
Associate Professor

Post by WiseWolf » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:32 pm

I will list only the ones I have played and not the ones I have read.

Dockside dogs
Convergence
With in without you
King
Wrong Turn

skyman
Freshman
Freshman

Post by skyman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:04 am

I got to play MTSKh-37 as a player. I enjoyed it and I died horribly in a truck. It works off of pre-gens and that builds the chemistry much like John Wicks Digging up a God (sic). The GM reported that he took out some elements to streamline the play for us because it got crunchy for him. I cannot say my view is bias. I bought the monograph after hearing it be reviewed highly and quickly gave it to my friend to GM before I opened it. Cannot say I was disappointed as a player.

Shannon Mac if you like the Secrets of San Fransico suppliment. I wrote a scenario for the contest monograph Horror Stories From the Red Room that uses the suppliment alot, in fact, it plays off of one of the Secrets of San Fransico scenarios. the title of the scenario is the same as the monograph.

Jon, The Ilsley Variant is an interesting choice. :science: I am quite fond of it too and it has some great aspects in it.

my top five at this moment with no care for recalling the name correctly (mostly with spelling) because this is off the cuff.

Masks of Nylar....it's. just. epic.
CrookD n CrackD Manse....self contained sandbox (house) that players can run around and die in. While the resolution takes away from the Lovecraft bleakness it is straight fun
Room 360....by Chad Bowser. Chaosium missionary convention scenario (So maybe it does not qualify) that has players armed to the teeth as SWAT entering a building. So like CrookD n CrackD only instead of a house its a building to run around in like Die Hard.
The Haunting....So you wanna play Call of Cthulhu? Simple. Easy. I would have chosen the Paper Chase for the same reason. I have just run this so so many times with good results. It's the gateway drug to Cthulhu. Oh yeah another house that people can run around in
Halloween in Dunwhich....by Oscar Rios. From the very first Halloween Contest monograph....Halloween Horror...or something like that. Nothing like being vulnerable than being a child. While the pre-gens are cool it is the way they interact in the scenario with adults and the elements provided that stood out in my mind.