MU Podcast 047 - Starting 2014 the Hite way

Discussion about podcast episodes
trevlix
Investigator
Investigator
Re: MU Podcast 047 - Starting 2014 the Hite way

Post by trevlix » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:39 pm

Dr. Gerard wrote:Yeah, I think all three of us hosts were ready to defend 7e rules because we have really enjoyed using them, but I want to respect the concerns of traditionalists who are reluctant to mess with a time-tested recipe.

It occurs to me that no matter what position you take on the changes, the way that we present our views is going to determine whether it divides the community. In my own conversations with gamers who are skeptical about the changes, I have found that "it still feels like the same game" or "these are not big changes" are not helpful positions. On the other side, arguments like "these rules are not time tested" and "this isn't my game anymore" are equally dismissive.

We've got to keep mind and ears open to opposing viewpoints on all sides here, and think carefully during these conversations. It was great to get Ken to talk about his viewpoint, because he's the sort of person who expresses things thoughtfully.
Agreed. I am in the "I'm not so sure about this" group, but to be fair, I have not played any 7E games. I will hold back all my feelings until the rules come out and I can see for myself. Until then, its just speculation. It was interesting to hear Ken Hite's thoughts however. Thanks for having him on!
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:36 am

If 7th ed. is full of small clean-up things like combining or refining some of the skills (like dumping all unarmed combat into a brawling skill) and putting in other things like the push mechanic then leaving the rest as house rules I'll be fine with it. That being said & with all my previous time in other game systems, the CoC/BRP is by far the most easy to get into & admittedly with a few rough spots but overall not too bad so as long as there's a 6th ed. to 7th ed. conversion process that should satisfy most people out there.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:12 pm

There will be a whole new round of debate once the new rules come out, and I just think we all serve the game and the community best if we are thoughtful in how we react to opposing views. I'd like to think the CoC folks are better suited to weather disagreement than the ****storm that was D&D 4E wars, but the quality of discourse on some YSDC threads has tested my optimism.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:43 pm

Dr. Gerard wrote:There will be a whole new round of debate once the new rules come out, and I just think we all serve the game and the community best if we are thoughtful in how we react to opposing views. I'd like to think the CoC folks are better suited to weather disagreement than the ****storm that was D&D 4E wars, but the quality of discourse on some YSDC threads has tested my optimism.
Agreed. When the rules finally come out, I think we'll have three groups:

1. Those who love it
2. Those who hate it
3. Those who don't care and will pick and choose what they want

And we'll all fight. And this is a good thing.

Why? It shows the passion for the game. I liken this to friends who are fans of opposing teams in the Super Bowl. We'll argue, and sometimes feelings will be hurt, but in the end is shows our love and passion for the game.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

hastur
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by hastur » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:03 pm

4. those who get fed up with it all and go play Pathfinder instead

(since the bestiary 4 has most of the cthulhu mythos creatures, and the rest could be adapted from CoC d20) :cthulhu1:
say it three times, girl
there's no tomorrow
and there's no today
say it three times
i'm not far away

i survived the Post GenCon Random Bizarre BS episode

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:36 am

Guessing too that while the Pods might be great at rowing & water sports that with Hand Egg (aka US football though foots or a round ball do not make sense to the name of this sport as they're rarely used over hands & an egg-shaped item), they might be doing a great job at that sport too. If I was playing this sport & the thought of (plus SAN rolls needed) tackling or getting tackled by a few of them would probably send me & anyone else on the opposing team straight to the asylum.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

EddyPo
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by EddyPo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:29 pm

By the way, I loved Ken Hite and Keeper Murf going toe-to-toe at the end. That was a fun exchange. Worth the price of admission right there.
Not a hack!

Cthuhugh
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Cthuhugh » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:40 pm

Another wonderful podcast lads!

I'd heard Mr Hite referred to as a philosopher king on another podcast,after listening to him I'm not sure that description is far off the mark.It was a thought provoking interview so well done to all concerned.

Mr Hite's advice about how to run a horror rpg session was particularly apposite,I think horror roleplaying by its very nature engages a different type of scared,way different than when when watching a horror movie or reading a horror novel.Having players ready for interacting the experience of being in a scary situation will make the Keepers job that much easier

You always learn something new listening to MUP, I was wondering why Dan was referring to Ken as a "drama turd",very cheeky I thought.Then I went to the show notes....woops.

Dramaturge: A dramaturge or dramaturg is a professional position within a theatre or opera company that deals mainly with research and development of plays or operas.
Steve Highfield in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario. Fenton Beanland in the Call of Cthulhu "The Inheritor " scenario.

Scott Dorward
Senior
Senior

Post by Scott Dorward » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:58 pm

Thank you for the correction, chaps! Much appreciated.

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:15 pm

EddyPo wrote:By the way, I loved Ken Hite and Keeper Murf going toe-to-toe at the end. That was a fun exchange. Worth the price of admission right there.
It was a dream, I tell you.

Have YOU seen the yellow sign?