MU Podcast 038 – Con-Madness!

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MU Podcast 038 – Con-Madness!

Post by Keeper Dan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:12 pm

We're back from the convention attack that August brought to us. Dan has been to GenCon, and Chad & Murph have been to NecronomiCon: Providence. We go into depth about these conventions, plus a good amount of news to share.

Campus Crier News:
Last month, August 20th was HP Lovecraft’s 123rd birthday.

The Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition Quick-start rules are out to Kickstarter backers. We don’t know when they will be available to the general public, but we’ll let everyone know when we hear something.

Friend of the show, Mike Mason has been announced as the new Line Editor for Chaosium!

Raiders of R’lyeh Kickstarter has launched and is moving along nicely.

A peek at Guillermo del Toro's sketchbook reveals some of his thought about At the Mountains of Madness.

New Edgar Allan Poe podcast is out, featuring one of the Skype of Cthulhu players, Jonathan Powell.

A new Kickstarter for the video game: The Moaning Words - An investigation into the Cthulhu Mythos.

We’ve joined the d20 Radio Network!

RPPR has a nice interview with Sandy Petersen about Cthulhu Wars.

We have more contests on the way! Including a copy of the paperback edition of Sense of Sleight of Hand man by Dennis Detwiller!
Details of the contests will be announced when we have things in place.
Community Sponsor shout-out to G. Godoy. Thank you for helping to keep the podcast rolling!

Card Catalog-

This episode's Card Catalog entry is the Welcome to Night Vale podcast.

For the side topic, Dan talks about his epic GenCon experiences.

Time lapse video of Balloothulhu being created.

Videos of the costume parade-
YouTube video 1
YouTube video 2

Some photo galleries from around the web-
The Doctor on this page is Dan's friend Charlie on Thursday.

Dan's photos from GenCon. More will be added as he gets copies of pics from Charlie and Grace.

The dates for GenCon 2014 are August 14-17. We need to try and get as many MUP staff and listeners together as we can!

The main topic is a well detailed discussion about the experiences of Murph and Chad at NecronomiCon Providence.

S. T. Joshi's NecronomiCon Keynote address.

Here is the main website for WaterFire Providence.
Photo gallery of the WaterFire Providence exhibition.

The guys got to play in a game of Machine Tractor Station Kharkov-37, run by writer Bret Kramer.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Cthuhugh
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: MU Podcast 038 – Con-Madness!

Post by Cthuhugh » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:24 pm

...only one hour and five minutes in and the green eyed monster is crushing the life out of me.Sounds like you had a blast Dan,playing games with Mr Peterson,Paul and Mike-wow..just wow :mrgreen:

Can't wait to hear the rest with the high jinks from NecronomiCon.
Steve Highfield in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario. Fenton Beanland in the Call of Cthulhu "The Inheritor " scenario.

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:29 pm

You have got to get yourself up here for next year. We need to hang out and game together!

jpowell
Freshman
Freshman

Post by jpowell » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:32 am

Thanks for the kind words about the Edgar Allan Poecast.

We are still figuring out this podcasting business, and hope to have our second and third episodes out shortly!

fallingtower
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fallingtower » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:43 am

A superior podcast. Bravo!
Great job guys, funny, informative and entertaining. You guys have great chemistry.

I've been to Providence, but on my own without any special goings on. I definitely want to try and make the next NecronomiCon.
If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences.

H. P. Lovecraft

Citysliker
Junior
Junior

Post by Citysliker » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:35 pm

Great episode guys. The energy and buzz you got from the Cons really came across.

Feel really sorry for Jon having to listen to all the fun!!

Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree

Post by Nvision » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:55 pm

I'm sitting here feeling super jealous after hearing of your convention exploits. Man, why'd I have to go and have a baby and spinal surgery... I was all set to attend next year, but I guess I'll have to wait until 2015. Great show, as usual!

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:25 pm

I'm glad our excitement came across. It was an amazing time at GC. I want to see as many of you there as possible next year, then NecronomiCon 2015! :cthulhudance:

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:59 pm

Yeah it was an absolute blast. I can't wait until 2015!

Scott Dorward
Senior
Senior

Post by Scott Dorward » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:15 pm

A great show as ever, chaps! It gripped me and left me envious in equal measure. I shall make it out to Gen Con one year.

Dan: the reason why Paul treated you like a celebrity is that you are one! If it weren't for the influence of the MU podcast, we never would have started our own, and we're all in awe of how well you lot manage to make it work.

I know that at least two of the three scenarios in Missed Dues and Other Adventures (the limited scenario book only for Gen Con 2013) will be made available in other forms. As you mentioned, Blackwater Creek will be in the Keeper's screen; I think the only changes will be artwork and proper maps instead of the roughs that Paul and I did. Paul's scenario, The Moonchild, will be included in Nameless Horrors )along with The Space Between, which got mentioned as well). This one will be heavily revised, as the version in Missed Dues was a first draft, unedited, and Paul is changing some aspects of it based on the games he ran at Gen Con. You should be able to see the finished versions of all these early in the new year.