Useful Non-Cthulhu RPG books

Where new Keepers can ask "stupid" questions without fear of hazing.
trevlix
Investigator
Investigator
Useful Non-Cthulhu RPG books

Post by trevlix » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:09 pm

I'm curious what non-Call of Cthulhu RPG books others have found useful for referencing or getting ideas from. Some that I have:
  • Hunter: The Vigil - This may be World of Darkness, but has a lot of great ideas for a modern or DG campaign.
  • Slasher - Another WoD book, but damn, its an RPG sourcebook about how to run a serial killer in your campaign, or run a campaign with serial killers. Still, damn. I can't recommend this book highly enough.
  • GURPS Horror - I've only read the 3rd edition, but it was written by Ken Hite so you know it has to be good.
Anyone else got any?
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

PirateLawyer
Senior
Senior
Re: Useful Non-Cthulhu RPG books

Post by PirateLawyer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:28 pm

Unknown Armies, by John Tynes and Greg Stolze.

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:35 am

The Book of Unremitting Horror. This thing has some of the creepiest gaming material I've read. Try to read all of the Blossomer entry without feeling at least a little grossed out. :-o :shock:
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:41 pm

Apart from any world setting book from Gurps or Word of Darkness (which helps dive into resources on exploring the settings or gives you some great ideas for npcs), I'd have to throw in here the suggestion on the 2nd edition AD&D Ravenloft stuff.

Sure that's fantasy but as the horror filled worlds are all different little islands of madness (some of which closer to the middle ages in some settings instead of the normal D&D fantasy stuff similar to how the Hammer films put many of their movies in some generic 17-19th century village), so if a game is going for something around that time period or a dreamland then it might be good for ideas on story choices, town layout or npcs. Also want to point out that there's many of the complex monsters which would not be all that great to use, however there's some plants (like the Death's Head carnivorous tree) or ghosts/elemental spirits/automaton which might be good ideas even if it's only something the investigators think they are seeing.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:12 pm

Good call on Ravenloft. I think you could use alot of the stuff from Masque of the Red Death in a gaslight game.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:17 pm

Would like to point out (after finding it in the library here buried under tons of things) that there's one to avoid: Agent 13 Sourcebook from the Top Secret rpg from the 80s I believe. While one would think that it being a small sourcebook for a spy rpg going into the pulpy or gritty 1930s would be useful to CoC but not really. Apart from some basic additions to their modern day spy setting, like coming up with ideas on gas guns or vampires in the pulpy games as well as a little bit in character creation & some sample small mission ideas, the best section in this sourcebook is a year by year breakdown of history & entertainment going on in the 1930s in a bullet list so hopefully this will help those looking at it & wondering if it'd be useful, just skip this one.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

Eibon
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Eibon » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:35 pm

trevlix wrote:Good call on Ravenloft. I think you could use alot of the stuff from Masque of the Red Death in a gaslight game.
The problem I find with Masque of the Red Death is they cover the obvious stuff, like Dracula, Jack the Ripper and Frankenstien, but CoC (particularly Gaslight), has already detailed these -- sometimes even done them to death -- so it's kind of covering old ground.

Probably not one for "Freshmen", but Gangsters!, the old 1979 FGU game, included a 16-page "Patrol Guide and Laws of the Land" booklet which had basic information for an American-style legal system and police procedures, such as how to arrange a road block. It's good enough to form a working system for an RPG. As a non-American I've found it useful over the years and keep it on hand in case the players have a run-in with the Law. It would be great if there was a way of making it available separate from the game. I notice that FGU are still around, but Gangsters! has gone from their product range (www.fantasygamesunlimited.net). The also made Daredevils which covered some of the same territory as classic CoC, although I wouldn't recommend it as a source book I have used a couple of the Daredevils adventures as fillers in campaigns.

Riq
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Riq » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:18 am

From Pelgrane Press you have Esoterrorists, Fear Itself and Night's Black Agents. All good on ideas for settings, concepts, horror role playing and game mechanics.

Other older games include: CyberPunk 2020, Twighlight (and Merc) 2000 and GDWs horror spin off Dark Conspiracy, Kult, Chill, Milleniums End, Al Majara / Over the Edge.

All fascinating games that are well worth a look and receptive to the Mythos without much tweaking needed.