Recommended Supplements

Tell us about the new thing you picked up. Be it a game, module, mini, dice, board game, novel, comic, video game, music, or whatever. Share what you love, or loathe with everyone.
jovial1
Freshman
Freshman
Recommended Supplements

Post by jovial1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:19 pm

What are, in your mind, the most valuable supplements as a keeper? I've currently got the 6th edition core rules, the 1920's Investigators Guide, Lovecrafts Arkham, Delta Green and Masks of Nyarlathotep. I'm debating other purchases - I'm currently Keeping for a few friends in the 1920's era. I've contemplated some scenario books (Mansions of Madness, or The Great Old Ones), the Keeper's Companion books, the Malleus Monstorum, the Dreamlands book, and other settings (Gaslight, Invictus, Dark Age).

What do you think are the most important book based resources for a Keeper to have?

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor
Re: Recommended Supplements

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:31 pm

I'm a very big fan of the Kingsport: City in the Mists book. If you're running anything in Lovecraft Country, it's just great to have that book on hand since it's only a few miles from Arkham and presents an entirely new setting to play with.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:11 am

Hoo-boy...

First off, I'd say find an era you like and focus there for a little while. Then you can branch out after you have a solid working of your primary.

If you like 20s, I can say that I really like the Mansions of Madness book. I've run the stuff out of there many times with great results.

There's also these I'd recommend as basic resources:

Ken Writes About Stuff

Curious Calibres

Special Shotguns

Investigator Weapons, volume 1

Basic Roleplaying

Legend

I have them all, and they're great resources.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

jovial1
Freshman
Freshman

Post by jovial1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:36 am

Keeper Dan wrote:Hoo-boy...

First off, I'd say find an era you like and focus there for a little while. Then you can branch out after you have a solid working of your primary.

If you like 20s, I can say that I really like the Mansions of Madness book. I've run the stuff out of there many times with great results.

There's also these I'd recommend as basic resources:

Ken Writes About Stuff

Curious Calibres

Special Shotguns

Investigator Weapons, volume 1

Basic Roleplaying

Legend

I have them all, and they're great resources.
I'm trying to focus on the classic era, for the most part. The other settings interest me but it's clear that the 20's are the focus of most of the game.

I'll probably look into Mansions for my next purchase. I'm planning to relocate my investigators to Lovecraft Country, so if I'm looking for pre-written scenarios, those are moving up the list. The podcast just gives me all kinds of ideas, and I'm not sure which way to turn sometimes.

I'd love to look up Dr. Gerard's Kingsport book, but being out of print (and, apparently, not yet scanned for digital availability) it commands a hefty price!

Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree

Post by Nvision » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:41 pm

I've heard good things about the Dunwich book, but don't own it myself. Adventures in Arkham Country has some great scenarios if you can find it, as does MRP's More Adventures in Arkham Country, which should be readily available. If you want an excellent '20's campaign (aside from Masks), try Tatters of the King. It's more of a slow-burn, and very dependent on atmosphere and good role-playing.

CthulhuDude
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by CthulhuDude » Fri May 03, 2013 3:36 pm

I’m a sucker for Lovecraft country and the classic era for just quick jump in and get started play. So I’d recommend getting the Arkham Unveiled book and then some of the classic scenario books. You can never go wrong with scenario books (IHMO). Even if you don’t like one or two of the adventures, you should hopefully find much more that you do like. New Tales of the Miskatonic Valley and More Adventures in Arkham Country from MRP are two great additions to anyone’s CoC library.
“Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk.” ― Robert Bloch

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Fri May 03, 2013 5:08 pm

I'd recommend Stealing Cthulhu. I'm about half-way through it and have found it an amazing resource so far.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Fri May 03, 2013 10:27 pm

I find myself regularly picking up Malleus Monstrorum regardless of the setting, or system.

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Fri May 03, 2013 11:32 pm

4 good books for oneshot scenarios are:
  • Blood Brothers 1&2 (A third has been announced! :yay: ) - These scenarios aren't appropriate to use as part of your campaigns, unless your Call of Cthulhu universe is very silly, but if you and your players just want to have fun for a few hours these scenarios are great for that.
  • Strange Aeons 1&2 (I hope there will be a third. :geek: ) - These scenarios can be used to spin off campaigns from, and Blood Moon from Strange Aeons 1 both have prequels and sequels. See material relating to Michael C. LaBossiere's End Times setting for Call of Cthulhu at http://www.yog-sothoth.com. (YSDC Files => Scenarios => End Times)
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.
-"The Strange High House in the Mist" by HPL

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Sat May 04, 2013 12:11 am

Another book I've used for years is the Cthulhu Casebook. Unfortunately, it's not available as a PDF that I can see. That makes me sad, as it's a great book with a list of really fun adventures that are great for inserting into your campaign.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast