Need Subjects for CoC Experiment Sunday 4-21 5:00 EST

A place for games to be managed and run, as well as looking for people to play with online.
Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor
Need Subjects for CoC Experiment Sunday 4-21 5:00 EST

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi again!

I need three or four guinea pigs for a slightly strange RPG experiment.

Time: 5:00-9:00pm Eastern Standard Time on Sunday, April 21st.

I'm running Nightmare in Silence from Blood Brothers II at a local convention coming up, so I'd like to give it a try over Skype first to work out some of the kinks. The thing is, this scenario is normally played with minimal talking, to emulate the silent film horror genre.

So here's my hack: Players would describe what their characters do in visual terms, perhaps even using camera directions for flavor, but any "spoken" dialogue would be posted in the Skype chat window. OOC talking will be allowed -- I don't see any way to avoid that. After the first hour or so of play, we'll chat about how that's working. This whole approach is totally new to me, so I'm asking for a patient group of players who can help figure this out together. Pregens provided.

Here's the pitch I posted for the convention:

Want to spend four hours inside an old silent horror film? This Call of Cthulhu scenario is an homage to the shadowy style of German Expressionist classics like Nosferatu and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

This will be an unusual role play experience, because there will be…no talking. In fact, your actions and dialogue will be acted out in dramatic pantomime, or written on shocking title cards!

Will you play one of the ingenues, HANS or FREDA? Perhaps you'll be their impetuous friend KONRAD? Or will you dare to play the mysterious hunchback, FULMINATO?

The story takes us to the town of Bremen in 1920 — a carnival has come to town, and with it a notorious magician DOCTOR GRIMOIRE, who has packed away some terrible secrets. An innocent day at the carnival will soon become a living nightmare.

Intrigued? Sign up, and together let’s create a strange and moody story worthy of the Silver Screen...
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree
Re: Need Subjects for CoC Experiment Sunday 4-21 5:00 EST

Post by Nvision » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:10 pm

I think this particular scenario has strengths if presented as a Skype game, perhaps more so than when run in person. What do you think about using a combination of webcam/chat window, with muted microphones? That would reinforce the rules on not talking, though as Keeper you could still pipe in music or fx to augment the game.

As for playing, I'll have to get back to you, but if you end up short on players just shoot me a PM.

jovial1
Freshman
Freshman

Post by jovial1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:43 pm

Eastern times? I might be able to be a part of this. Just have to let the wife know that I'll be occupied Sunday evening.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:20 pm

jovial1 wrote:Eastern times? I might be able to be a part of this. Just have to let the wife know that I'll be occupied Sunday evening.
Yup, this would be 5-9 pm eastern times. I can move it an hour earlier if that brings in more players. But for now I'll see what happens with this schedule.

Nvision, it could indeed be great over voice. You're not the only one to suggest using webcams, so I'll mull that over. Music would be great.

Anyway, thanks to both of you for responding, and keep me posted!
Plays for Keepers

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:41 pm

I'll probably let this simmer on the MUP forum until tomorrow evening, and then open up the invitation to Infrno and Google+.
Plays for Keepers

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:44 pm

My speakers are broken, and the plug for earphones are too, so if I participated, it would truly be a silent movie experience. The microphone and the webcam still works though.
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.
-"The Strange High House in the Mist" by HPL

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:50 pm

Thomas R. Knutsson wrote:My speakers are broken, and the plug for earphones are too, so if I participated, it would truly be a silent movie experience. The microphone and the webcam still works though.
That would be interesting -- so you would only be able to contribute, but not hear. That would be pretty surreal! Like role playing with a ghost.

Hm...not sure it would work entirely as a visual, though. I suppose it could be chat and face only...

Well, if you can figure out a solution so you can hear us, let me know. Let me mull over the camera-text idea....
Plays for Keepers

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:01 pm

Guys, I'm going to pull the plug on this for tomorrow. I appreciate the response, but it's looking a little unsure at the moment so I'm going to focus on other ways to prep instead. I promise I'll be recruiting for more games down the road!
Plays for Keepers

jovial1
Freshman
Freshman

Post by jovial1 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:06 pm

Ah, well.

It sounds like a really neat way to run a game. I'll keep my eyes open for other opportunities to join in.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:28 pm

jovial1 wrote:Ah, well.

It sounds like a really neat way to run a game. I'll keep my eyes open for other opportunities to join in.
Depending on how the con version goes, I might be inspired to try again online afterward. That way, you'll be the ones to reap the benefit of guinea pigs, instead of the other way 'round.
Plays for Keepers