Twist on a "Choose Your Own Adventure" game!

A place for games to be managed and run, as well as looking for people to play with online.
Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:44 am
Location: Lindsay, Ontario
Contact:

Re: Twist on a "Choose Your Own Adventure" game!

Post by Nvision » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:04 am

2. Try to find some shelter.
The harsh sting of the rain lashes your exposed skin and the damp chill seeps into your bones. You need to get out of this rain, and well away from the road, in case that man-thing decides to come back this way. As you push deeper into the woods the torrent lessens slightly, though your drenched clothing seems to weigh you down more and more. You take off your jacket, wring it out as best you can, and drape it over your head and shoulders. The spreading heat from another quick swig steels you slightly and you slog onward.

After what seems like ages, but your pocket watch swears was only twenty minutes, you notice something in the air. The scent of wet pine is now mixed with the acrid tang of wood smoke. Glancing around, you can barely notice a lighter glow in the dark mist, coming from behind a rise to your left.

Do you:

1. Rush towards the promise of warmth and shelter?
2. Cautiously approach the light?
3. Steer clear, and keep heading into the woods?

User avatar
Howard
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:29 am
Location: Akron, Oh

Re: Twist on a "Choose Your Own Adventure" game!

Post by Howard » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:33 am

Nvision wrote:2. Cautiously approach the light?
As you cautiously approach the light, you notice a small, four posted shelter centered between several large trees. A lantern hangs from a post revealing a still, some empty crates, two large jugs filled with a liquid and an empty chair. A small fire smolders near the still. You take the opportunity to sit, dry off, check your belongings and have another drink. The pounding of the rain on the tin roof drowns-out any sounds and your vision is now limited to the edge of the light. After a while, looking down you notice the floor of the shelter seems to be an older stone surface with strange carvings. Further inspection shows a flow of rain water going beneath an outer stone. Curious, you lift up the stone to reveal a passage leading into the ground beneath the stones. Now holding the lantern, you determine the bootleggers were unaware of this passage existing. Just then, headlights winding through the woods come in your direction. Do you...

1. Head down the passage
2. Hang the lantern and run into the woods
3. Approach the truck

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:58 pm
Location: Sweden/Sverige, Europe/Europa

Re: Twist on a "Choose Your Own Adventure" game!

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:40 pm

1. Head down the passage
Quickly you head down the passage and close the opening with hope that the bootleggers won't fine it. There is a stairwell, and with that you descend into the depth. If you had been a more eloquent man you would have described the darkness, architecture and your descent with words like stygian, cyclopean and abyss, but fortunately your imagination of the fantastical has not gotten much training during your adult life. With the exception of your line of work, you are a very dull man, or at least that is how it would appear to others.

Do you...

1. Turn around and go back up towards the bootleggers' camp.
2. Explore the walls of the stairwell.
3. Stop and listen for sounds.
4. Continue down the stairwell without pause.
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.
-"The Strange High House in the Mist" by HPL

Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:44 am
Location: Lindsay, Ontario
Contact:

Re: Twist on a "Choose Your Own Adventure" game!

Post by Nvision » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:53 pm

3. Stop and listen for sounds.
Pausing to catch your breath, you can hear the muffled voices and occasional laughter from the bootleggers above you. Deciding it would be best to avoid their attention, you make your way more cautiously down the tight passage. Soon the walls tighten and the slope increases dramatically, turning into a narrow, roughly-hewn stairwell. The walls drip with rivulets of dark moisture, and are covered in patches of blighted, rugose fungi. Through the organic matter on the walls you can almost see forms, as if they once sported elaborate carvings that have since succumbed to time and the elements. Channels dug into the edges of the steps carry the trickle of water away from the stairs keeping them relatively dry, though their corners have been rounded from untold ages of use, so you still move carefully down them.

As you stop to examine a section which shows a little more definition than the rest, you hear something ahead of you, in the dark. A faint, scratching hiss, like the rustle of dry, brittle leaves, drifts up to you. Quickly dousing the lantern your vision is flooded with black and your other senses strain in it's absence. The sound is moving away from you, but is now accompanied by spates of incomprehensible whispers. A faint green glow starts to suffuse the passage as your eyes adjust, apparently coming from the fungus patches on the walls, revealing the outline of the stairs to you once more.

Do you:

1. Call out to the whispering voice?
2. Stealthily follow down the stairs?
3. Head back up and take your chances with the bootleggers?
4. Relight the lantern and try to study the carvings?

User avatar
Howard
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:29 am
Location: Akron, Oh

Re: Twist on a "Choose Your Own Adventure" game!

Post by Howard » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:10 am

Nvision wrote: A faint, scratching hiss, like the rustle of dry, brittle leaves, drifts up to you. The sound is moving away from you, but is now accompanied by spates of incomprehensible whispers.

1. Call out to the whispering voice?
"Is there someone down here" you say, but hear no reply. Moving further on, you attempt to bring light back into the lantern. Stopping, you notice your standing in a circle of the green glow and your feet feel stuck to the floor. Unable to move, the scratching hiss sound returns. The whisper speaks but only in your thoughts, "I require an un-pure soul......do my bidding and draw one to me."

Do you...
1. Begin shouting and alarm the bootleggers
2. Use the Lantern to break the circle and free your movement
3. Grasp your sanity.....and open negotiations

Post Reply