What are you reading?

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
What are you reading?

Post by KeeperMurph » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:59 pm

With a lot of talk lately about weird fiction and read-alongs I thought we should have a space to share what we are reading regardless of the genre.

So I have been reading the latest in the Culture sci-fi series by Iain Banks called The Hydrogen Sonata. It is another of the ship-centric novels, like Excession, and is fan-fucking-tastic.

I am also reading Flesh Gothic by Edward Lee. This is a paranormal investigation novel that is pretty graphic, in violent and sexuality. But the story is good, and could easily be made into a CoC scenario.

So what are you guys reading?

Gladius
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: What are you reading?

Post by Gladius » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:56 pm

Definitely off-genre, but:
I just finished Gaiman's American Gods. It was "eh" IMO compared to some of his other stuff. It's about the "old world gods" being supplanted in America by new gods of Media, Technology, etc.

I'm now reading "The Driver" by Alex Roy, a book about a guy who broke the (illegal, underground) cross-country time record (from NY to CA in under 31 hours). Not sure there's any plot seeds in here for a mythos game (although I do have a copy of Cthulhu 500 that I have yet to play...).

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:09 pm

Gladius wrote:Definitely off-genre, but:
I just finished Gaiman's American Gods. It was "eh" IMO compared to some of his other stuff. It's about the "old world gods" being supplanted in America by new gods of Media, Technology, etc.

I'm now reading "The Driver" by Alex Roy, a book about a guy who broke the (illegal, underground) cross-country time record (from NY to CA in under 31 hours). Not sure there's any plot seeds in here for a mythos game (although I do have a copy of Cthulhu 500 that I have yet to play...).
Nice. I read American Gods years ago and quite liked it honestly, enough to read the sequel Anasi Boys. Which of Gaiman's stuff did you Iike better?

keepermurph

Howard
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Howard » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:52 am

Just received, have not started, "Victorian Undead" by Ian Edginton. Being a Sherlock Holmes fan, I want to see how him and Dr. Watson fair in a zombie apocalypse during London 1854.

PirateLawyer
Senior
Senior

Post by PirateLawyer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:52 pm

Captain Vorpatril's Alliance, by Lois McMaster Bujold. Run, don't walk, to a bookstore to get all of her books. She's an astonishingly good writer.

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:57 pm

PirateLawyer wrote:Captain Vorpatril's Alliance, by Lois McMaster Bujold. Run, don't walk, to a bookstore to get all of her books. She's an astonishingly good writer.
I love the Miles Vorkosigan series! Love. It.

Koakai
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Koakai » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:03 pm

Not weird fiction, but what the hay. I am presently reading "Vancouver Noir 1930-1960". Tales of corruption, murder, and life in my local city. Also has tons if nice black and white photos of some of the places and events during that time.
PH.D candidate -M.U. Western Annex

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:50 pm

Koakai wrote:Not weird fiction, but what the hay. I am presently reading "Vancouver Noir 1930-1960". Tales of corruption, murder, and life in my local city. Also has tons if nice black and white photos of some of the places and events during that time.
Sounds like a new campaign in the works man.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk HD

Cthuhugh
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Cthuhugh » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:29 am

I have a pile of RPG books in my pile of shame however I've just finished World War Z by Max Brooks,It's without a doubt in my top ten of all time favorite novels,do yourself a favor and check it out.
At the moment I'm reading Gods of Sand and Stone by Walter Shuler,Its got a bit of the H.E.Howard pulp vibe-I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
Steve Highfield in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario. Fenton Beanland in the Call of Cthulhu "The Inheritor " scenario.

Howard
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Howard » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:11 pm

Interesting Blogs should count as 'reading'. Chris Fowler puts together a descent one. http://www.christopherfowler.co.uk/blog ... t-stories/