MUP 20 - Bumps in the Night With A.S.G.

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MUP 20 - Bumps in the Night With A.S.G.

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:22 am

- Explicit Language Warning-
Episode 20 has a special guest , Adam Scott Glancy, president of Pagan Publishing!
We forgo much of our usual format to cover a wide range of topics with Scott, from the new Delta Green material they're working on at Pagan, to the new Bumps in the Night book for Call of Cthulhu, to the development of 7th Edition. He was kind enough to join us despite being ill, and we had a wonderful time talking with him.

The plugin that gives the download link seems to have stopped working, so here is a direct link to the file.

Campus Crier News-
MUP fundraiser died at 77%. So, if you pledged, we thank you very much for your support, but you won't be paying out anything. If you would still like to support the show, use the donation link on the front page.

We also have a new store up on Zazzle! If you want a shirt with the Mythos Babies, or to proclaim your love for Dr. Gerard's History Lecture series, you can get them on the shirt of your preference.
http://www.mu-podcast.com/zazzle

Punktown Kickstarter from Miskatonic River Press-
You got Cthulhu in my Cyberpunk! You got Cyberpunk in my Cthulhu!
Help bring an all new setting to squamous life by supporting the Kickstarter by friend of the show Tom Lynch, president of MRP!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1799183063/punktown-an-rpg-setting-for-call-of-cthulhu-and-br

We got a voicemail from our friend Brian in MA, discussing the pulp and purist scale of game play we discussed in episode 19. It sounds like he has a great balance in his games. He mentions Keeper Jon's Timeless Sands of India book from Goodman Games' Age of Cthulhu collection.

We then talk a little about Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition, and Scott's take on the proposed changes to the system.
Scott mentions the character creation system for the Fallout Series, which was apparently based on GURPS; another percentile skill system like BRP.

Scott brings up the story A Colder War, by Charles Stross.
North Korea's interesting details, the Unicorn Tomb (or was it?), the Ryugyong Hotel, and the Pyongyang Traffic Girls.
Scott references the Harry Paget Flashman books, by George MacDonald Fraser

We have a new lecture from Dr. Gerard at the Miskatonic University History Department -- on the topic of ''The Dream Hunters of Corsica”

Development of new Delta Green game involves being completely compatible with BRP/Call of Cthulhu. It will also feature separate Player and Keeper books.
They might be using the Legend core rules by Mongoose Publishing. All of their books with the plain black cover are all Open Gaming License, and the main book is only $1.00 US!

Murph has questions about the production for Sense of Slight of Hand Man, by Arc Dream Publishing.

Q: For new Keepers, what do you suggest for a first scenario? Any other advice for first-timers?
A: First DG scenarios: Last Things Last, Puppetshows and Shadowplays

We feature a new Mythos related song by Mikey Mason: Scoobythulu
Mikey is a very gamer & geek-friendly comedian and songwriter, who regularly appears at the RPG convention Fear the Con, run by the guys at the Fear the Boot podcast.
http://www.mikeymason.com/
You can listen to his music and purchase here: http://mikeymason.bandcamp.com/releases

There's mention of Robert E. Howard, L. Sprague de Camp, and the Conan stories.

We talk about Scott's experience of using Kickstarter to fund Bumps in the Night.
Then we talk about Non-Mythos threats and how they approached it in writing Bumps in the Night

Scott mentions the audio drama Three Skeleton Key, available free here at Archive.org.

We would also love to hear your ideas for topics for us to talk about. Send us a note directly, or go to the Campus forum with your ideas!
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

EddyPo
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: MUP 20 - Bumps in the Night With A.S.G.

Post by EddyPo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:39 pm

Great episode guys. I'm a big fan of ASG. I could listen to him talking about anything for hours. And I guess I just did. Sounds like you all were having a great time. I can't wait for Horrors of War to come out. That scenario with the lighthouse sounds amazing!
Not a hack!

Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree

Post by Nvision » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:36 pm

Excellent show guys. Thanks for the Mythos Babies shout-out and for getting it up in the store. I've already had a couple of RPG jobs come in as a result of the referral link. :) The extra run time was a welcome treat...I kept working longer than I usually do because I was so absorbed in the conversation, so now I'm a little ahead on my deadlines! MU Podcast, improving productivity!

It wasn't in the show notes, but ASG had also mentioned PX Poker Night as a good starting point for a Delta Green campaign. You can grab the PDF directly, here: http://www.tccorp.com/site09/images_09/ ... rNight.pdf A more sandbox-style intro game that I've had good luck running is A Victim of the Art which you can also grab for free, here: http://www.delta-green.com/wp-content/u ... he-Art.pdf

EddyPo
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by EddyPo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:52 pm

And let me second something Mr. Glancy suggested. For your next fundraiser you should consider offering a Skyed game for big donors. I would absolutely open up the wallet to get a ticket at that table. Maybe with the potential to someday be pushed out as a MUP-AP. I think a lot of others would be into that too.
Not a hack!

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:57 am

Wow, maybe we should consider that afterall.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:51 am

Okay. Much of my free time is filled with baby duties and other kid stuff, but with enough heads-up notice I'm sure I can set aside time to do a Skype game.

For my game, it would need to be a single one-shot game, and we'll set aside six hours to get it completed.

Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree

Post by Nvision » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:06 pm

Would anything from The Timeless Sands of India fit into that time slot? Playing with the author of a scenario would be an excellent bonus for donors, and I'd love to hear an AP from the book.

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:04 pm

Nvision wrote:Would anything from The Timeless Sands of India fit into that time slot? Playing with the author of a scenario would be an excellent bonus for donors, and I'd love to hear an AP from the book.
Yes, I think I could get Timless Sands of India in a six hour block, if the players were motivated to drive forward and tangent rat-holes were kept to a minimum. I'm also in the process of writing a new adventure, and I might do a secret playtest too. In the secret playtest I would record it, but not release it until after the actual product was published. Plus, participants in that game would be credited in the book as playtesters.

I will try to do both.

EddyPo
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by EddyPo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:31 pm

Keeper Jon wrote:
...and I might do a secret playtest too. In the secret playtest I would record it, but not release it until after the actual product was published. Plus, participants in that game would be credited in the book as playtesters.

I will try to do both.
That is crazy cool. HERE TAKE MY MONEY! TAKE IT! TAKE IT!
Not a hack!

WiseWolf
Associate Professor

Post by WiseWolf » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:56 pm

Hola,

I really like the show that A.S.G did for you guys, lol.

Great show, you should really try to get guests more often, it is very interesting. Dr. Gerard informative section was really creepy. I can see that appearing on a game or two.

Skype games for raising money should work, I think.