MUP 17- Made to Order Monsters

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MUP 17- Made to Order Monsters

Post by Keeper Dan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:56 pm

Episode 17 has a new contest, a voice mail, a Lecture, and a return to the Special Collections Vault. Then we go to the lab to make some monsters!
The first piece of news in the Campus Crier is the birth of Keeper Jon's daughter, Celia Hook!
And in honor of the new arrival, we are running a contest...

Celia's Cilia Giveaway
Prize: The Book of Cthulhu II

To enter, we'd love to see kid art of baby cthulhus/cthuloids/tentacles/squid/whatever....
-Or-
Mythos artwork that looks to have been done by a child.
Deadline is November 12. Send entries to contest@mu-podcast.com
We will determine a top three from all entries, then we'll post a poll for the listeners to vote for the winner.

We have a voice mail from Mikkel, (BarlOwe on the forums).
He asked who we thought were some of our favorite underrated horror authors. What resulted was a lengthy discussion with the following mentions:

The Double Shadow Podcast about Clark Ashton Smith
Laird Barron The Imago Sequence
Brian Lumley
Dean Koonz Phantoms is particularly Lovecraftian.
Westin Ochese Empire of Salt
John Horner Jacobs Southern Gods
Fritz Liber
W H Pugmeier
Cody Goodfellow
Ramsey Campbell
Adam Scott Glancy
Delta Green Books and stories

There is also A Podcast to the Curious about M.R. James

We got an E-Mail from Shaun telling us about the SCP. SCP stands for Secure Contain Protect.
I just recently stumbled upon this site and it has upwards of 1000 unique items, living things and even people that could make for a great horror or CoC game addition. Each entry has a short description written in the style of a censored lab report and normally includes several logs that make for good story building elements.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/

It's a blending of Warehouse 13 and Delta Green.

There was a mention of a Delta Green free scenario.
The base rules for the new Delta Green game are from Mongoose Publishing's Legend system.

For another podcast mention, Dan brings up Ken & Robin Talk About Stuff. A podcast by Ken Hite and Robin D. Laws.
http://www.kenandrobintalkaboutstuff.com/

Their episode 7 has their views of CoC 7e as based on the Seminar Mike & Paul held.

Just a few more days for the DriveThru RPG Trick-or-Treat Promotion!

Murph read an audio presentation for SFF Audio.com

Out Of The Storm by William Hope Hodgson
Murph was on an episode of their podcast to discuss the story.

We have the next lecture from the Miskatonic University History Department, but not from Dr. Gerard. This is the first Field Trip lecture, from Ben Wenum -- on the topic of 'The Witchfinder General'.

Doctor Gerard is looking for people interested in recording History Segment "Field Trips" that are recorded on location.
Anyone who wants to do something like that,talk to Dr. G. He'd love to get some more voices and field recordings into the Hist segments.

The Scarifyers episode with the Witchfinder General is episode 3- For King and Country.

In the Special Collections Vault, we talk about all the possibilities from the Revelations of Glaaki series.
The Severn Valley
Cthulhu Britannica
The adventure The Pale God is in the book The Great Old Ones.
YSDC has a live play game of The Pale God.

Main Topic:
Creating custom creatures and monsters for Call of Cthulhu.

Inspired by an e-mail from James from the 1d4cast Podcast

Malleus Monstrorum

Fish that sees with its teeth:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/27/cave-catfish-navigate-teeth-denticles_n_1919789.html

Link to the softball-sized eye.http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/oct/12/massive-mysterious-eyeball-found-florida

Link to the Christmas Tree Worm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirobranchus_giganteus

Fish tongue-eating isopod:
http://www.biodiversityinfocus.com/blog/tag/isopoda/

Fish with a transparent skull:
http://deepseanews.com/

Halloween caterpillar
Lumpfish
Pickled Punks

Examples of custom monsters will be forthcoming:
Jon's Homunculus.
Dan's shark-man Creature inspired by the TV mini-series, though of course the book is better.

We would also love to hear your ideas for topics for us to talk about. Send us a note directly, or go to the Campus forum with your ideas!
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Zombieneighbours
Sophmore
Sophmore
Re: MUP 17- Made to Order Monsters

Post by Zombieneighbours » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:58 am

Murph you where looking for "Leeroy Jenkins!!!!!!"

Charlie Stross used the tongue eating Isopods is the apocalypse codex.

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi guys, I'm listening to the podcast as I write this message. I'm still in the section where you guys are responding to Barlowe's question about underrated horror authors. Some of my favorite authors of the weird are:

Joe R. Lansdale - He is a down-home Texas boy who currently lives in Nacogdoches, Texas, (Murf's neck of the woods), and his work is super creepy and fun. I highly recomend reading The Drive-In first. I freaking love The Popcorn King! Read The Drive-In to learn more about his majesty.

David Wellington- David is one of the new generation of authors who cut his teeth on the internet. He started by writing his novels and releasing them one chapter a week for free on his blog. I read all three of his zombie novels, Monster Island, Monster Nation, and Monster Planet for free from his blog. I cannot stress how good his work is. He specializes on putting cool new twists on classic monsters, zombies, werewolves, and vampires. Please check out his work!

And finally I'll close with Joe Hill- Son of Stephen King, Joe Hill is a freaking powerhouse all on his own. Joe has two full-length novels in print, a collection of short stories, a new online story, and a freaking fantastic comic book! Joe is already a master capturing human emotions that can really move you as a reader, (at least, it's moved me).

Please check out all of these wonderful authors.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:54 pm

Keeper Jon wrote:Hi guys, I'm listening to the podcast as I write this message. I'm still in the section where you guys are responding to Barlowe's question about underrated horror authors. Some of my favorite authors of the weird are:

Joe R. Lansdale - He is a down-home Texas boy who currently lives in Nacogdoches, Texas, (Murf's neck of the woods), and his work is super creepy and fun. I highly recomend reading The Drive-In first. I freaking love The Popcorn King! Read The Drive-In to learn more about his majesty.

David Wellington- David is one of the new generation of authors who cut his teeth on the internet. He started by writing his novels and releasing them one chapter a week for free on his blog. I read all three of his zombie novels, Monster Island, Monster Nation, and Monster Planet for free from his blog. I cannot stress how good his work is. He specializes on putting cool new twists on classic monsters, zombies, werewolves, and vampires. Please check out his work!

And finally I'll close with Joe Hill- Son of Stephen King, Joe Hill is a freaking powerhouse all on his own. Joe has two full-length novels in print, a collection of short stories, a new online story, and a freaking fantastic comic book! Joe is already a master capturing human emotions that can really move you as a reader, (at least, it's moved me).

Please check out all of these wonderful authors.
Thanks, Jon. Awesome picks. I'll have to check out Lansdale and Wellington. I was kicking myself after the show about all the other names I could have come up with. Trying to identify someone who is "underrated" makes it kind of a challenge. Joe is obviously not as much of a superstar as his dad, but he's had plenty of good press for his work. Totally should have mentioned Joe. But I think Barl0we's question just comes from a desire to get good new reading material anyway.

I almost said Stephen King, just because in a way I think he gets short changed by the geekeratti since he's too well known. But I really think he's a fantastic writer. Not every novel hits it out of the park, but the good stuff is incredibly haunting.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:11 pm

Zombieneighbours wrote:Murph you where looking for "Leeroy Jenkins!!!!!!"

Charlie Stross used the tongue eating Isopods is the apocalypse codex.
Stross, you task me. Now I must read your story that uses the awesome idea that I should have come up with much earlier.
Plays for Keepers

TAK
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TAK » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:18 pm

Not sure if he fits under underrated, but I'm not sure if this particular movie has gotten it's fair due: Lord of Illusions by Clive Barker.

Ken & Robin podcast is all kinds of awesome, still haven't managed to get thru all of them cos I tend to listen to the new stuff when it's released. I don't know how they do it. I can barely get 10% of all the shit done that I can think of during the day.

And hey, no weekly release, I wanna do more actual plays... Murph, when is that Delta Green campaign starting? Huh? I wanna so be a part of that.

Zombieneighbours
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Zombieneighbours » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:37 pm

Unfortunately professor, Apocalpse Codex is the 4th book in the laundry series and will make little to no sense without having read at least the first and third book in the series(though you can probably avoid the second, which is also my least favourite)

On the subject of underrated horror writers, I would have to go with two Charlie Stross and John Scott Tynes.

Stross's The laundry series has been a major influence that has shaped my take on the Mythos, with its far more cypherpunk/science fiction take on ultimate cosmic horror.

John Scott Tynes is the reason I am obsessed with yellow, between his various essays on the hastur mythos, and his short stories Ambrose and Broadalbin freak me the hell out. Insidently, if any one has a copy of Sosostris, I am prepared to throw money at you for it, please contact me!!!!!!!!!

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:53 pm

Great show guys!!

All I can say is that just solely based upon the number of outtakes at the end of the show, that my presence on the show only brings all kinds of awesome, and thus eliminates the outtakes!!! :D

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:22 pm

I don't know what exactly our problem was, but we were all kinds of punchy when we recorded that. It was a really fun time recording it, though.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through the first Laundry book, and I'm loving the crap out of it. I can see why this was made into an RPG. It's like Delta Green, but with more fun than fatalism.
If I ran a DG game, Laundry is what it would eventually turn into.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:58 pm

Keeper Dan wrote:I don't know what exactly our problem was, but we were all kinds of punchy when we recorded that. It was a really fun time recording it, though.
Yeah, between feral cat attacks and Murf's little public health message on venereal disease, we had an extra dose of the stupids.
Plays for Keepers