Anyone out there ...

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
KeeperAntUK
Sophmore
Sophmore
Anyone out there ...

Post by KeeperAntUK » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:42 am

... from Vancouver, BC or nearby?

So, it seems my wife and I might be moving to Canada later this year, Vancouver to be precise.

Although Skype and Hangouts make gaming with my old UK friends a viable option, I would also like to make contact with local gamers in the area to both arrange meet ups, and get the down low on the scene in Van City.

This also means I will be on the same continent as NecronomiCon 2017, albeit almost as far away in miles, so attendance possibility has just risen significantly! :cthulhudance:

So, what's the skinny?

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor
Re: Anyone out there ...

Post by Keeper Jon » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:27 pm

Wow! Welcome to the west side of the world, Keeper Ant! I've heard great things about Vancouver, but I have not yet had the pleasure to visit it. I hope all goes well with the move, and I hope you get some responses to your call to players in the Van City area.

KeeperAntUK
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by KeeperAntUK » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:08 pm

Thank you, thank you :¬)

It's not set in stone yet, but the probabilities are increasing day by day!

My wife's sister lives in Squamish, a little north of Van City, and we were over earlier this year for a few weeks. We loved it and when this possible opportunity came about for Ally (my wife) we decided to go for it.

Members of my family tend to have this little bell that goes 'ding' suddenly one day, and off we go to continents new :) My Dad is from South America, moved to England, then 'ding' he and Mum went off to Florida for 17 years ... My Brother went off next, so its probably genetic !

Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree

Post by Nvision » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:18 pm

Awesome! I'd love to live in Vancouver if I could afford it...it's a gorgeous city filled with culture. You get the best of both the mountains and the ocean! I'm fairly certain there are at least a couple of British Columbians kicking around here.

PirateLawyer
Senior
Senior

Post by PirateLawyer » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:08 pm

I live in Vancouver. It's my hometown. Send me a PM. Would be lovely to meet up. I'd be more than willing to be a native guide, and so forth.

NB. Van City is not really a favoured nickname (at least by the locals) for the city. ;)

Koakai
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Koakai » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:43 pm

I find myself moving further away from Vancouver, alas. I work for a grocery chain, and in an elderich fit of insanity decided to join the ranks of the hated bosses once more. :fhtagn: I am going from the land of the airshow to the land of Rambo just as soon as I can convince my condo to sell.

Mind you, Vancouver is shit right now for real estate prices, doubly so with our foreign buyers tax they just brought in.
PH.D candidate -M.U. Western Annex

Canageek
Senior
Senior

Post by Canageek » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:21 pm

I'm also in Vancouver, at least until I finish my PhD (so at least a couple of more years). We should set up a meetup at some time, possibly at one of The Storm Crow's locations?

Where on earth is "The land of Rambo", Koakai? Afghanistan?
Moderator of the Suppressed Transmissions board.
Plays GURPS, Call of Cthulhu and a few other things.

Canageek
Senior
Senior

Post by Canageek » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:32 pm

Koakai: Ok, Vancouver native coworker filled me in on what The Land of Rambo is. Knew it instantly. You can tell I moved here from S. Ont. still. It is funny, I came into the open forum as I saw all the posts in the early part of the history lecture thread on local BC legends, and figured it was worth asking around if there were many other people from BC in the forums.

PirateLawyer
Senior
Senior

Post by PirateLawyer » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:39 pm

I think we can do better than the Storm Crow.

Canageek
Senior
Senior

Post by Canageek » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:22 am

I'll be honest; I don't eat out much. I just suggested The Storm Crow due to the gaming connection and easy transit access at both locations. If you've got other suggestions and are interested in a meetup, I'd love to hear them.