Kickstarter Proof Reviews Here

Find a type on the 7e Proof Edition PDF? Share them here so Chaosium can get them cleared up before print!
groovyclam
Freshman
Freshman
Re: Kickstarter Proof Reviews Here

Post by groovyclam » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:49 am

Keeper Book - page 327 - under entry for "Tulzscha"

When it comes to the cult details for Tulzscha the heading "Cult" is divorced from its paragraph overleaf due to pagination - suggest moving the heading overleaf or at least bringing one line of the paragraph forward a page to start under the heading.

Page 246 - under spell entry for "Apportion Ka"

The "Alternative Names" section is formatted as a flush new paragraph after a line of empty space with bold type for "Alternative names:" followed by each name in italics. However none of the other spells use this formatting for their alternative names paragraph. I think they should, as it looks better, but it is probably less work just to remove this formatting from the "Apportion Ka" spell than alter all the other spells.

Page 254 - "Dust of Suleiman" spell

Missing "Cost:", and "Casting Time" should be in bold type.
Last edited by groovyclam on Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

groovyclam
Freshman
Freshman

Post by groovyclam » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:52 am

Investigator Book -

Page 12, second column - the second paragraph is completely in italics but it probably shouldn't be.

Page 12, first column, 4th paragraph - "Call of Cthulhu" should be in italics like other entries on this page.

Page 65 - "Step 6 Combat Values" box - the entries in the table for "365 to 444" and "445 to 524" are in a larger font than the rest of the table - thus the alignment goes wrong under the "DB" and "Build" columns for those lines.

Page 103 - outbox on "Living Standards" - the entry for "Credit Rating 99: Super Rich" has lost the font type formatting that the other entries follow

Page 150 - the first paragraph under the "Cemeteries and Churches" heading should be flush and not indented

Page 151 - the top, middle, callout box ( as a hanging tag graphic ) - the text should be moved down a bit as the top line is lost by the graphic a bit

Page 155 - "Automobiles" section - the word "carry" has gotten divorced too much from the main text due to the wrap around the graphics

Page 189 - Bonnie and Clyde heading entry - should be a comma after "Bank Robbers"

Page 191 - callout box "Songs of the 20s" - using the format of double-quoting song titles makes this box rather hard to read as there are a multitude of double-quotes spattered all over - suggest removing double-quotes and convert song titles into italic text.

Page 193 - the headings for James Curley and Eugene V. Debs are indented - should be aligned with their paragraphs like other entries.

Page 194 - the period after "Woodie Guthrie" in the title should be changed to a comma, ditto for the "A.E.Waite" entry.

Page 196 - Films of the 20s callout box - the 1926 entry - the film "Pretty Ladies" is using a different font to the other film titles in the box

Page 200 - Sports of the 20s - should this section be using the font it is ? That font seems to be used for callout boxes, not main book text

Page 218 - Callout box - should the bold text be bold ?

Page 218 - second column, bullet list - the first and third entries in the bullet list - their text ( both starting "You..." ) is indented when the second entry is not.

Page 219 - bullet lists - their second line of paragraph text is indented when it should all be flush

Page 221 - callout box - suggest narrowing the text box flow as the text runs too close to the graphic edges - it will then fill up the box graphic better ( vertically ) as well.

Page 233 - Suggest moving the caption "Challenger shuttle explosion" a bit lower as it runs too close to the main text

Page 243 - 4th entry in list "Maple Crutches" should not be indented

Page 243 - should the heading "Outdoor & Travel Gear" be the next size down heading font ( like "Household Goods" and "Medical Equipment" on the previous page ) ?

Page 245 - second column - the entries for "Chevrolet Pickup Truck" and "Tire Snow Chains" should not be indented

Page 249 - shouldn't "Lodging" be the next heading size down - like "Entertainment" above ?

Page 258 - callout box - the fonts ( once past the heading "Characteristic" ) are wrong when compared to the layout/fonts in other callout boxes in this section.
Last edited by groovyclam on Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sjaffe
Freshman
Freshman

Post by sjaffe » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:18 pm

sjaffe wrote:Ok, I know this isn't really "proofreading" necessarily but I wanted to say having read through the chapter on the grimoire, I feel disappointed. For one thing, it seems to me that spells that were in the 6th edition book are missing (Circle of Nausea comes to mind only because I wrote a scenario using it). From the same page of the 6th edition book that has Circle of Nausea, other spells seem to be missing from 7th edition: Charm Animal, Chime of Tezchaptl and Cloak of Fire. I didn't go through and check every spell from 6th edition but I did notice some glaring omissions. For example, in the section on tomes, in the list of spells that are found in the book "Monstres and Their Kynde" it lists: Enchant Altar, Enchant Blade and Enchant Pipes. Yet none of those spell descriptions can be found in the chapter on the Grimoire. Other spells mentioned in the section on tomes that are missing in the grimoire: Create Scrying Window and Prinn's Crux Ansata (both mentioned in the description of De Vermiis Mysteriis).

I had kind of hoped that the 7th edition book would have at least all the same material that was in the 6th edition book. I realize that some stuff may have been cut for space but the book should certainly contain descriptions of spells mentioned elsewhere in the same book! I had also hoped that this would be seen as a good opportunity to collect all the spell descriptions and tomes that have been mentioned in earlier scenarios and other published works that may now be out of print or hard to find.

As I said, I feel somewhat disappointed by this and it seems to be an opportunity missed.
Also mentioned in the 7th edition book, particularly in the lists of spells in tomes that are missing from the Grimoire:
Eibon's Wheel of Mist
Enchant Brazier
Levitate

Taking a look at the recently published Tales of the Crescent City, spells listed there that are in 6th edition (or other books) that are not mentioned in the 7th edition grimoire:
Summon/Bind Child of Yig
Hands of Colubra
Healing
Send Dreams
Voice of Ra
Contact Loa
Enchant Candle
Enchant Gris-Gris
Enchant Ju-Ju
Journey to the other side
Create Hand of Glory
Dream Vision

If I were going to run any of the scenarios from Tales of the Crescent City, I'd have to choose between using the 6th edition rules, or bringing both the 6th edition and 7th edition books with me to the games. I'd probably choose to use 6th edition. New players then probably won't buy the 7th edition books, they'll buy the 6th edition books. And as glitzy and nice and well-written as the 7th edition books are, once word hits in reviews and comments on the web that so much is missing from the grimoire, that may impact sales.

groovyclam
Freshman
Freshman

Post by groovyclam » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:59 pm

Investigator Book -

The illuminated drop-cap at the beginning of each chapter is formatted in two different approaches across the chapters:

a) Body text starts flush with the top of the illuminated capital and has one line of paragraph text indentation underneath the capital - this happens in Chapters 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9

or

b) Body text starts higher than the illuminated capital and has two lines of paragraph text indentation underneath the capital - this happens in Chapters 2 and 3

Suggest altering those drop-caps in chapters with type (b) formatting to look the same as type (a)

sjaffe
Freshman
Freshman

Post by sjaffe » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:43 pm

Page 391 of the Keeper's book, last sentence in the section on "Skill Pool", it says: The two weapons are different in many respects, but
someone who is proficient with a shotgun will have a great advantage over and untrained person when using a rifle."

That should be "an untrained person".

sjaffe
Freshman
Freshman

Post by sjaffe » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:56 pm

On the 7th edition character sheet included in both books (and separately) there are 3 boxes next to the Move Rate. I didn't see what the other two boxes are for - surely they are not for the standard 1/5 and 1/2 as other skills and attributes?

Also in the conversion guides in the Keeper's book, it doesn't mention that some skills have different starting values. For example, in 6th edition, Accounting had a base starting value of 10%. On the 7th edition character sheet, it gives the base starting value of 5%. Somewhere in the conversion guide starting on page 390 it should remind Keepers that some of these skills' base values have changed.

And I just noticed that the sidebar box on p. 390 giving the characteristic conversion values partially obscures the page number at the bottom.

Finally, one other question: most attributes just need to be multiplied by 5 to convert to 7th edition, except EDU. That basically works the same unless the resulting number is above 90 (any EDU value above 18). Then it increases by 1. But this has a slightly possibly unintended consequence. If a character had an EDU of 19 or 20 in 6th edition, then they would have an EDU of 91 and 92 respectively. BUT, the 1/5 values, instead of being 19 or 20 would then be 18 for both. Unless you mean the 1/5 values to remain at 19 and 20 respectively. I didn't see that mentioned. Maybe it would have been better to leave that alone and just say that any EDU over 20 becomes 100?

Icar
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Icar » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:54 pm

Happy to have a read of the books. I really like the layout and some of the artwork is really good. That said, some of the artwork is not good, or at least it doesn't appeal to me.
As I went through the player's guide I noticed that "classic" "Lovecraftian" and "modern" aren't explained.
I also noticed that although skills are given a base value, it doesn't explain if you need to purchase the base value at that minimum or whether it's free.
I know the answer, but it doesn't seem to be written anywhere.

All the best

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:51 pm

Icar wrote:Happy to have a read of the books. I really like the layout and some of the artwork is really good. That said, some of the artwork is not good, or at least it doesn't appeal to me.
As I went through the player's guide I noticed that "classic" "Lovecraftian" and "modern" aren't explained.
I also noticed that although skills are given a base value, it doesn't explain if you need to purchase the base value at that minimum or whether it's free.
I know the answer, but it doesn't seem to be written anywhere.

All the best
Hi Icar. I think you may have just overlooked it, but "Classic" occupations are only for the 1920's setting, "Lovecraftian" occupations are those used in Lovecraft's literature, and "Modern" occupations are only for modern settings.

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:11 pm

Investigators book

- p129 "and should take the Mythos Experience Package (see page @@)." - Missing page number. The "see page @@" occurs throughout the book. Perhaps this is just something that was going to be fixed later?
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Azimuth
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Azimuth » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:19 pm

Investigator's Handbook, page 252:

- There seems to be a font size inconsistency on two lines in the Rifles table, on both the .30-06 Bolt-Action Rifle and the .30-06 Semi-Automatic Rifle.
- There's also a typo in the skills column for the first of those lines, where it says "Firearms (rifle))."