Kickstarter Proof Reviews Here

Find a type on the 7e Proof Edition PDF? Share them here so Chaosium can get them cleared up before print!
sjaffe
Freshman
Freshman
Re: Kickstarter Proof Reviews Here

Post by sjaffe » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:45 pm

Page 34 of the Keeper's book: in the box at the top left of the page, under "Determine Characteristics", it says: "Roll 2D6+6 multipled by 5 for SIZ, INT, and EDU". That should be "multiplied".

sjaffe
Freshman
Freshman

Post by sjaffe » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:30 pm

What appears to be missing from the rules (among spells, creatures, etc. that were in 6th but left out here) are rules for how multiple individuals can combine their attributes for a task.

For example, on P. 83 in the box there is an example where Harvey tries to pry open a locked door. He has a STR of 20 and the keeper decides it's a heavy oak door and Harvey needs a Hard success or better. But that's one person. What if two or more people were helping? How do their strength's combine? Do they each roll separately (which doesn't account for them working together) or do they roll one roll for the group and what value is that roll based on? Is it still a Hard roll or does it become a regular roll? There are several different ways this could work, but there's nothing in the rules that I found that can be used as guidance.

Similarly what if two people are casting a spell together, or as often opens a coven of witches or cultists doing a spell together. Do they combine their POW? Do they all suffer the same amount of Sanity loss? Does the chance of the spell succeeding increase? There are no guidelines at all.

Sure, each Keeper could come up with their own way of handling situations like this but the whole point of creating a rulebook is to create some level of consistency otherwise why do we need a rulebook in the first place?

MikeM
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by MikeM » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi

Many thanks for the various corrections and notes. We have worked through 90% of the ones relating to the Rulebook and are currently finishing that one up. Then we will work through the Investigator book and begin indexing the Rulebook.

We have also fixed any typos our proof reader found, so combined with backer error spotting we look to have a much cleaner book. Thanks to everyone who took time to note errors and whatnot here.

Best regards

Mike
Mike D Mason
Call of Cthulhu Line Editor, Chaosium Inc.

groovyclam
Freshman
Freshman

Post by groovyclam » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:09 pm

Will Chaosium be releasing the "post-proofed" Keeper PDF or do we have to wait until the final release date ?

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:57 pm

groovyclam wrote:Will Chaosium be releasing the "post-proofed" Keeper PDF or do we have to wait until the final release date ?
My guess would be the final product.

PaulBaldowski
Freshman
Freshman

Post by PaulBaldowski » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:18 am

Keeper Jon wrote:
groovyclam wrote:Will Chaosium be releasing the "post-proofed" Keeper PDF or do we have to wait until the final release date ?
My guess would be the final product.
I hope that a post-proofing proof would be forthcoming, as it was really tough to tell from this format of feedback whether all the issues got covered. I'm still only halfway through reading the Keeper's book and I have seen plenty of issues to feedback on... but, having posted a couple of times here, I struggled to work out whether this issues I found got covered or not.

I realise that more feedback means more delays before a final version, but I would rather see a refined final version and wait a few days or weeks longer.

PaulBaldowski
Freshman
Freshman

Post by PaulBaldowski » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:36 am

This isn't an error, but it is something I noted in my read through.

Is it possible to change the format of the densely packed Phobia and Mania tables so that they can breathe with a little more room?

The current format is overwhelming. Possibly if they just appeared as a normal text table rather than with the parchment background it might help.

PaulBaldowski
Freshman
Freshman

Post by PaulBaldowski » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:48 am

In reference to Poisons, both in Table III: Other Forms of Damage and in the section on Poisons it says:

a roll equal to or less than one-fifth of CON will halve damage from poisons

Shouldn't this state the need for an Extreme Success on a CON check, to keep consistency in reference/mechanics?

On page 121, under Dying it states that:

The Medicine skill should be used to treat a dying character after he or she has been stabilized with First Aid.

And that First Aid is the only skill used for stabilization. However, on the same page under Medicine it says:

who must initially receive successful First Aid, after which they must be stabilized using Medicine.

This I assume to be incorrect.