Advice?

DaveST
Freshman
Freshman
Advice?

Post by DaveST » Sun May 17, 2015 1:17 am

Just starting a new campaign for Tatters for my hometown gaming group. We completed the lovely Prologue, and I'll be starting the campaign proper this upcoming Friday. Any suggestions? I'm a Cthulhu veteran, but I've never run this campaign before.

HalcyonDaze
Freshman
Freshman
Re: Advice?

Post by HalcyonDaze » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:22 am

I'm afraid I don't have any advice for this one, rather curious to see how your Tatters campaign has been playing out.

I am in the process of reading the campaign book now and I think it's brilliant. My impression so far is that it has the same epic scope that Masks does but is not nearly as pulpy with less gun-play and fighting/violence (that may change as my reading progresses however). I just finished Book One and the storylines of researching the asylum and the events walking through Carcosa present so many narrative opportunities for crazy/surreal encounters. Reading this has made me want to start a game. I'd like to hear how yours has developed.

PRuano
Freshman
Freshman
Re: Advice?

Post by PRuano » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:28 pm

Played through this campaign, its very nice.

Some notes:

- the final part of book 1, on Carcossa, can be a campaign ending slaughterfest (of the 5 investigators going in, only three (technicaly two, see below) survived, and only because one managed to avoid becoming insane, and dragged another other away. Its a glorious ending, if it happens, though :D

- one of the investigators (the writer, which had been studing the tomes), facing certain death of himself and his new lover from Carcosa, decided it was a good time to make a pact with the King in Yellow, and thus managed to "survive", bringing his lover as a refugee. 1 year in real life later, at the end of the campaign, the pact is revealed, and the traitor SoB investigator does the Kings bidding and helps him come to Earth, thus ending the campaign in failure :o

- Book 2 its a very big letdown (particularly after the BIG finish of book 1), and seems like filler; gives some marginal information on some NPCs, most of them secondary, and fills the necessary time between book 1 and 3, but its a drag, so a keeper may want to try a different approach for those requirements and avoid it altogether.

- the India/Tibet part can be interesting or a drag, depends on the players and the keeper, its probably the most pulpy part of the adventure

On the whole, its a great campaign, particularly for players who prefer their adventures tending more to the investigative part.

ByW, if the campaign does end belly up like ours, with the players failing their objective, a nice coda can be achieved by adapting Trail of Cthulhu The Repairer of Reputations (it was our plan, but things got in the way).