Need advice from a list of popular scenarios to run

Talk about the published scenarios and campaigns from our favorite publishers.
Spoilers are expected, so if you will be a player in these adventures, stay away!
Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor
Need advice from a list of popular scenarios to run

Post by Shannon Mac » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:40 am

So at the end of the year or early 2015 I expect to run a new Cthulhu campaign for my online crew. We just finished up a two year COC 1925-39 camp focused primarily upon the San Francisco Bay Area and tied into the Costonoan Indians and pacts they made with Dark Gods to get their lands back from the white men.

I'm on break for the summer while others in the group run.

Anyway . . .

Here are a list of scenarios that they have not played which interest me in varying levels. Please feel free to talk as openly as you like as this is a spoiler folder. Or, PM me the details.

These are scenarios I already have or that I am thinking of purchasing.

1. THE SENSE OF THE SLEIGHT HAND MAN by Detwiller

PITCH: 1920s characters sent into the Dreamlands and must escape. It's over 200 pages.

2. THE LEGACY OF ARRIUS LURCO by Oscar Rios

PITCH: Ancient Rome in which investigators go globe trotting across the Mediterranean so follow various clue trails. This has a slight pulp edge to it. I only played a few sessions out of 22 but there were 1-2 TPKs as a warning. The scenario captures the Roman Era and you can tell Oscar has done his homework on evoking the era.

3. THE KING IN TATTERS: a 1920s group of investigators who have reality challenged set mostly in the UK and then the Far East. Has lots of reality bending and the promise of Hastur. Since my last run had reality bending as well this is probably not my top pick.

I have skimmed it. This seems like more of a madness than meat grinder but the vote is still out.

4. KS HORROR ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS: 1920s train ride through Europe. The original was a meat grinder similar to MoN in which you could lose a character every chapter. My vote is out on this one b/c I have yet to read it. Additionally, I just ran a 1920s camp so I'm not sure about another.

5. RAVENAR SAGAS: early medieval times in which you play "Vikings" from their youth to old age as they serve their lord. This is more of an at sea and outdoors type of thing than spending much time reading tomes as the Norse were not known for the written word so much.

There are pregens but I suspect you will need back ups. It operates in three parts. I really liked the first chapter but have yet to read the other two.

Body count is expected to be moderate to high unlike low to moderate for the previous campaign I ran.

6. other possibilities I have yet to discover :science:
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor
Re: Need advice from a list of popular scenarios to run

Post by Keeper Jon » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:44 am

Shadows of Yog-Sothoth, or maybe something original that starts in Innsmouth and leads to the East Indies.

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:01 pm

Ravenar Sagas, but only because it's about Vikings, which I'm a descendant of.
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.
-"The Strange High House in the Mist" by HPL

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:20 am

(Jon): one of my players already experienced SOY. I believe Tatters ends up somewhere near India or in India.

(Thomas): it doesn't get as much spotlight as some of the other Oscar Rios scenarios but the first scenario seemed very good.
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:56 am

Heard great things about Lurco from Oscar, I'd say go with that as there's enough AP recordings out there to listen to for further ideas. Tatters is interesting & playing it now with some folks from the UK but a really slow build up on it & wondering if things are going to get going or we are just missing the major things. Started listening to the Slight of Hand stuff on Role Playing Public Radio & not sure about it but based on the writer, it'd be a good choice too along with Orient Express.

Other suggestion would be the stuff from the Mansions of Madness if you have that.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:02 pm

I like Ravenar a lot, and the Viking mode is used less than other eras, so you'd be offering something unusual to players. I like the next two chapters a lot -- would love to hear what you think when you read them. Its a tight campaign.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers