Cephalophobia 2016!

The Forum for all things concerning the newlestter.
Koakai
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: Cephalophobia 2016!

Post by Koakai » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:36 pm

Dr. Gerard wrote:Koakai, as you know I am a great fan of your BC dispatches. I'd so love to see some scenario seeds from your dark corner of the Earth. Feel free to shoot me ideers if you need a sounding board, or let me know if there is any other way I can help.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Oh I;m just trying to make up my mind. I could work up notes on stuff non BC centric like the high speed, high security silk trains that raced across the countryside, guarded by machine gun toting individuals.

I could write something up about the mysterious transformer spirits of legend, who roamed the country side in time immemorial, turning people into things like giant boulders, mountains, waterfalls and the like. Depending on your 'crime', you might become a mountain (one nearby is said to be a woman who was turned ), or your grief at loosing your family to the spirits might cause you to become the falls nearby. These spirits took many forms, from bears, to humans, and could be easily be something out of the mythos.

Then I was thinking of people to mention, personalities to write up, and I was struck by the story of 'Capi' Blanchet (M. Wylie Blanchet) whose book about her time cruising with her children on the coast is a BC staple. She was a character, whose husband mysteriously disappeared while swimming one night (he had heart failure and the water temp combined with the strain likely killed him). The boast he was using was recovered however and she cruised the coastline with her kids for years afterwards. There are strange tales in her life.

Then combined with this, I was trying to work her into a scenario in my head and was reminded of the rum runners of pacific northwest. Ships like the Malahat that would sit outside the territorial waters and act as floating warehouses for booze. What could I work in there.

I was also reminded of 'Club Malibu' a rich man's retreat that only ran for 5 years, shortly after the end of the second world war. it had limited access and a short operating time so it didn't fair well, but it had some illustrious visitors like John Wayne, Senator John F. Kennedy, Barbara Stanwyck, Bing Crosby, and Bob Hope. A polio death and quarantine are mentioned, so i can imagine working something up involving a strange death, a camp of rich individuals the isolation of bad weather and difficult waters. Today it is a christian youth camp, but does it have cultist roots?

I'm a little scattered right now as you can see.
PH.D candidate -M.U. Western Annex

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:04 pm

Fertile stuff!

Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Scriven
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Scriven » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:35 pm

AKA Professor Max von Schiller of the Miskatonic Area Paranormal Society (MAPS)
AKA George Finch of the Secret Everest Expedition
"Let's see if someone tries to kill us and work backwards" -- Dr. Who

Scriven
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Scriven » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:17 pm

Koakai wrote:
Dr. Gerard wrote:Koakai, as you know I am a great fan of your BC dispatches. I'd so love to see some scenario seeds from your dark corner of the Earth. Feel free to shoot me ideers if you need a sounding board, or let me know if there is any other way I can help.

Oh I;m just trying to make up my mind. I could work up notes on stuff non BC centric like the high speed, high security silk trains that raced across the countryside, guarded by machine gun toting individuals.

I could write something up about the mysterious transformer spirits of legend, who roamed the country side in time immemorial, turning people into things like giant boulders, mountains, waterfalls and the like. Depending on your 'crime', you might become a mountain (one nearby is said to be a woman who was turned ), or your grief at loosing your family to the spirits might cause you to become the falls nearby. These spirits took many forms, from bears, to humans, and could be easily be something out of the mythos.

Then I was thinking of people to mention, personalities to write up, and I was struck by the story of 'Capi' Blanchet (M. Wylie Blanchet) whose book about her time cruising with her children on the coast is a BC staple. She was a character, whose husband mysteriously disappeared while swimming one night (he had heart failure and the water temp combined with the strain likely killed him). The boast he was using was recovered however and she cruised the coastline with her kids for years afterwards. There are strange tales in her life.

Then combined with this, I was trying to work her into a scenario in my head and was reminded of the rum runners of pacific northwest. Ships like the Malahat that would sit outside the territorial waters and act as floating warehouses for booze. What could I work in there.

I was also reminded of 'Club Malibu' a rich man's retreat that only ran for 5 years, shortly after the end of the second world war. it had limited access and a short operating time so it didn't fair well, but it had some illustrious visitors like John Wayne, Senator John F. Kennedy, Barbara Stanwyck, Bing Crosby, and Bob Hope. A polio death and quarantine are mentioned, so i can imagine working something up involving a strange death, a camp of rich individuals the isolation of bad weather and difficult waters. Today it is a christian youth camp, but does it have cultist roots?

I'm a little scattered right now as you can see.
This sounds like promising, and very rich fare, Koakai. My own advice? (1) Start with the idea that you're most confident about. (2) Keep an eye on the word count guidelines at the beginning of this thread any try to come in under those limits -- that can focus the project nicely and prevent you from overwhelming yourself by trying to shoehorn too much content into a single submission. I personally like the rum runners idea. Looking forward to seeing something from you!
AKA Professor Max von Schiller of the Miskatonic Area Paranormal Society (MAPS)
AKA George Finch of the Secret Everest Expedition
"Let's see if someone tries to kill us and work backwards" -- Dr. Who