History Lecture Ideas

Topics for the Lecture and Slice of Life series.
Discussion about historical events, people, items, etc. that can add to the flavor to any historical game setting.
Discussion and sharing of links and resources.
Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor
Re: History Lecture Ideas

Post by Dr. Gerard » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:38 am

From a site covering internee suicides, this little gem hinting at a chilling reaction from locals...

"The location of this internment camp was likely at Cave and Basin, Banff. According to a November 18th, 1916 report ,the location of the camp was recently moved down from Castle Mountain to winter quarters near the Cave and Basin. The temperature at that time was 37 below zero. The camp held around 250 aliens, with 120 guards. According to the local paper - "...the majority of our citizens are of the opinion that the scenic outlook is not vastly improved by the presence of the slouching, bovine-faced foreigners."
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Koakai
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Koakai » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:05 pm

A little something I saw today.

Not really a lecture idea, but they are so esoteric that they might be something that confuses a character in a game.

A sunlight recorder.

http://www.kuriositas.com/2011/02/campb ... order.html
PH.D candidate -M.U. Western Annex

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:42 pm

Koakai wrote:A little something I saw today.

Not really a lecture idea, but they are so esoteric that they might be something that confuses a character in a game.

A sunlight recorder.

http://www.kuriositas.com/2011/02/campb ... order.html
That is cool. It looks like a mi-go sextet. I also like how it could absolutely be in a 1920s game.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:27 pm

Love it! How would you use it in a scenario, Jon?
Plays for Keepers

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:15 pm

Dr. Gerard wrote:Love it! How would you use it in a scenario, Jon?
Leveraging off of something I read in one of Fantasy Flight Games' novels set in the Arkham Horror Universe, I'd have the mi-go sextet be some kind of magic point battery that could open a gate to Yuggoth.

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Graham » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:51 pm

I stumbled across a 2005 news story about an isolated pair of Mormon splinter communities, that look to be the real world manifestations of Dunwich/Innsmouth.

Forbidden Fruit: Inbreeding among polygamists along the Arizona-Utah border is producing a caste of severely retarded and deformed children
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2005-12- ... ruit/full/
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:39 am

Graham wrote:I stumbled across a 2005 news story about an isolated pair of Mormon splinter communities, that look to be the real world manifestations of Dunwich/Innsmouth.

Forbidden Fruit: Inbreeding among polygamists along the Arizona-Utah border is producing a caste of severely retarded and deformed children
Oh man. That one is super dark!
Plays for Keepers

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Graham » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:39 pm

Dr. Gerard wrote:
Graham wrote:I stumbled across a 2005 news story about an isolated pair of Mormon splinter communities, that look to be the real world manifestations of Dunwich/Innsmouth.

Hope you get round to it. Here is something much lighter:

Otherhand: Historic Speed of Light measurements in Southern California

Which covers what Dr. Albert Michelson of Wikipedia: Michelson–Morley experiment fame was doing from 1922 until his death in 1931.

The last experiment Otherhand: Irvine Ranch measurements (1929 – 1933) might be useable as an adventure location for a post-Classic era adventure.
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:33 am

Graham wrote:
Dr. Gerard wrote:

Hope you get round to it. Here is something much lighter:

Otherhand: Historic Speed of Light measurements in Southern California

Which covers what Dr. Albert Michelson of Wikipedia: Michelson–Morley experiment fame was doing from 1922 until his death in 1931.

The last experiment Otherhand: Irvine Ranch measurements (1929 – 1933) might be useable as an adventure location for a post-Classic era adventure.
Love it. I really have to start turning these into lectures.
Plays for Keepers

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:16 pm

Came across the fext, and thought it would make a good history lecture. Trying to dig up more info on it, but so far not getting much.
Fext is a man vulnerable only by a bullet made of glass (the word itself probably comes from the German kugelfest) or a small stake used to tie young trees. Fext does not disintegrate after death and sometimes his corpse also shows a little activity like moving a hand if someone disturbs it. If a child is born in an amniotic cavity and this part of the placenta is carefully removed, dried, stored and later carried by the child under his left shoulder, the child will probably become a fext.

Most stories about fexts are located to eastern Bohemia and western Moravia, today's Czech republic, during the 30-years war. Some of the Swedish officers of protestant army plundering the countryside of Habsburg empire were believed to be fexts because of failures of attempts to assassinate them.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/