History Lecture Ideas

Topics for the Lecture and Slice of Life series.
Discussion about historical events, people, items, etc. that can add to the flavor to any historical game setting.
Discussion and sharing of links and resources.
Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor
Re: History Lecture Ideas

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:40 pm

Koakai wrote:I almost should just tie a bunch of this stuff together for a free PDF or something. :shock:

I should poke around and see if I can find some good images of seated human figure bowls. Another strange style of artifact here in BC, the usually depict figures with prominent ribs and snakes usually play a role. If I can not tie the snakes into Yig in some manner, I am not trying hard enough.

I suppose I really need to read more mythos tomes. My poor San stat is going to start being blasted. God, my little brain is spinning. I am sure people have seen the 'alien' skulls that result from cranial deformation. We have that as well up here. Various native groups on the coast practiced this, and one of the more common paintings showing this practice is of a Chinook lady and her infant. (Chinooks living in on the Columbia river in the US, but traditionally are related to BC groups.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kane_Caw_Wacham.jpg

On the aspect of those Yuquot figures, I found the line in my photos that I remember reading. According to the analysis most were apparently made over a century, with a wave of 48 being made at some point in the 19th century.
Oh man, a PDF for BC secrets would be really cool. Hmm...

I didn't know about the cranial binding up there -- I thought it was a Peru thing. Actually, I just Googled and it seems like this technique popped up all over the place, from Central Asia to Oceania. Amazing.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Koakai
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Koakai » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:30 pm

Speaking of Peru and to keep myself from spouting, BC, BC, Rah rah rah!, you should check out the wikipedia article on Chinchorro mummies. They likely are the first mummies that ever existed, but what the chinchorro do to make mummies is odd. They are almost construct like, with several methods used during the years, including the red mummy method that involved making lots of cuts to dry out the body with sticks and other materials were used to strengthen it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinchorro_mummies

Regular mummies are creepy. Chinchorro mummies rack that up ten fold.
PH.D candidate -M.U. Western Annex

Koakai
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Koakai » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:53 pm

Okay, Okay. One more BC topic. I promise I'll tone it down. :) Eventually. :)

I am presently dogsitting at my paretns, and I decided to pick up one of my Dad's books to read. It is a favourite series of mine, called the Raincoast chronicles, and it has a bunch of stories about BC in it. I was idly flipping through it and I found the PCMR's counterpart. The Fisherman's reserve. Yes, we armed fishing boats with depth charges, minesweeping gear and guns and sent them out to patrol out coast. The name given for it in the book was the more collequal, Gumboot Navy. :)
http://www.warmuseum.ca/cwm/exhibitions ... E-3-a&id=7
http://jproc.ca/rrp/fishermans_reserve.html

I really do live in a... unique province.

alpope23
Freshman
Freshman

Post by alpope23 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:43 pm

I'll ask the wife and the MIL if they have any creepy Korea tales to share.

Koakai
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Koakai » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:58 pm

There is a spot on one of the inlets near Vancouver that has somewhat of a creepy reputation. It used to house the town of Barnett, which was razed during the 1950's to build a park. It had been a lumber town, squeezed between the slopes of Burnaby mountain and the shores of Burrard Inlet, it shipped lumber to American clients from its buzy sawmill. But the sawmill burned down, lumber got too expensive to barge in, and then they wanted to expand the highway around the mountain. In the end, all but a few houses were demolished, and little but subtle reminders remain of this once small town.

In the crisp autumn twilight of 2003, two friends hiking through the trails of Belcarra looked across the waters of Burrard Inlet to see lights through the evening mist. Knowing the area well, they were sure they were not seeing Port Moody nor the lights originating from nearby oil refineries. As they studied the area further, a silhouette of a small town came clearly into view -- dim lights flickered in the windows.
The hikers had every right to be concerned, for they knew the mirage they were experiencing couldn't be real. The town of Barnet was abandoned and torn down over forty years earlier. Still, they saw homes, small commercial buildings, smokestacks and what appeared to be movement along a far off street.

Thinking that perhaps a local studio had constructed a movie set, they hopped into a car and travelled along the Barnet highway to investigate. They found nothing but darkness and a closed park.

The area known as Burrard Inlet has been a hotbed for unusual sightings. Ancient legends tell of the coastal mountains transforming before people's eyes. Perhaps the most famous documented story is Pauline Johnson's account of a "lost island" not far from the old Barnet town site that is said to appear and disappear.

In a way, nature has presented its own unique epitaph to the town of Barnet. Look to the grassy fields and you'll witness a strange phenomenon. Spring gardens planted long ago still pop through the grassy fields and line the perimeter of long demolished homes like grave markers. Reminders of the town are everywhere if you know where to look.

---------
Nearby lies a beach with its own hidden secrets. Once, a 12 foot long, tentacled monster washed up on it. Now thought to be the remains of a giant pacific octopus, this was not the only strange thing that lurked in these waters. In 1915, another secret monster prowled these waters.

An enterprising american, forbidden from building submarines for an Imperial Russian contract while in America, secretly built a manufacturing facility along the shores of the Burrard inlet. During the dark of night the vessels would be tested on the waters of the inlet, while during the day they would lurk deep in the depths. It was only after the war ended that anyone knew what was going on in this facility. Even the Canadian government had been kept in the dark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_H ... submarines

Howard
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Howard » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:03 pm

This Cliff House in San Francisco has always intrigued me http://www.cliffhouse.com/. It's Victorian image/age combined with the tragic history from that era could easily be spun around Cthulhu related events which could have been the source of it's tragedies. I have plenty of time on my hands these days for any degree of collaboration if further ideas on any subject are needed. Just PM me.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:10 am

Howard wrote:This Cliff House in San Francisco has always intrigued me http://www.cliffhouse.com/. It's Victorian image/age combined with the tragic history from that era could easily be spun around Cthulhu related events which could have been the source of it's tragedies. I have plenty of time on my hands these days for any degree of collaboration if further ideas on any subject are needed. Just PM me.

Awesome

I just wanna say I love this thread.
Plays for Keepers

Howard
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Howard » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:15 pm

This site has some good history and images. http://rbkclocalstudies.wordpress.com/c ... buildings/

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:54 am

Howard wrote:This site has some good history and images. http://rbkclocalstudies.wordpress.com/c ... buildings/
Nice find!
Plays for Keepers

Koakai
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Koakai » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:44 pm

Most people do not know that under the streets of San Fransisco reside a veritable fleet of buried sailing ships. During the gold rush these ships were commonly sailed into the harbour and then abandoned as their crews decided that gold was a greater lure then the life of a sailor. When the city needed to expand the land base and filled in part of the harbour, these ships were buried only to reappear during construction work for modern projects.

I was fortunate to hear a lecture by one James Delgado(yes the guy on the tv show The Sea Hunters) who did some doctoral work on these ships during his university years. He was the director of the Vancouver Maritime Museum then and doing his PhD at my university. They were fascinating things.

http://www.sfgenealogy.com/sf/history/hgshp1.htm