History Lecture Ideas

Topics for the Lecture and Slice of Life series.
Discussion about historical events, people, items, etc. that can add to the flavor to any historical game setting.
Discussion and sharing of links and resources.
Zombieneighbours
Sophmore
Sophmore
Re: History Lecture Ideas

Post by Zombieneighbours » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:57 pm

Probably. Give me a couple of days to get settled into my new job, and see if I will be able to borrow a decent recorder.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:44 pm

Sounds good. Congratulations on the job, by the way.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

armitage's_interne
Freshman
Freshman

Post by armitage's_interne » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:59 pm

The Georgia Guide stones would be an interesting lecture. I know I've used them in Delta Green as a psychological experiment overseen by NRO Section Delta were the stones were giving off a kind of psychological interference that inspires paranoia in those who fixate on them.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:15 pm

armitage's_interne wrote:The Georgia Guide stones would be an interesting lecture. I know I've used them in Delta Green as a psychological experiment overseen by NRO Section Delta were the stones were giving off a kind of psychological interference that inspires paranoia in those who fixate on them.
Excellent idea!
Plays for Keepers

Barl0we
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Barl0we » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:39 pm

How about the Spring-heeled Jack myth? :)

I tried searching the internet for myths, legends, etc. from Liverpool as I'm currently here on exchange.

I found this:

The Bold Street Time Slip Kind of an interesting story (And just ~10 minutes from my dorm).

I don't know if the British just like myths / ghost stories more than other people (Certainly I've never heard even half as many ghost stories originating in Denmark), but there was a lot of 'em. Pity most of them were just one paragraph texts on random message boards. Nothing substantial enough to have a ~400 word text on them >_>

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:48 pm

Barl0we wrote:I found this:

The Bold Street Time Slip Kind of an interesting story (And just ~10 minutes from my dorm).
Yes! Investigate! Muckrake! You could actually ask people in those areas if they've seen anything...past-y, and we could string the interviews together. That sounds a bit ambitious, but could be fun if you have no shame...

There's also this very bizarre little item about a "Tiki Cult" murder in 1961, which would provide a possible cult that Keepers could use.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/ ... 41&forum=1

There's also the "Man from Pru" case that seems to leave open questions (that a tenacious Historian could exploit).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Herbert_Wallace
Plays for Keepers

vladsee
Freshman
Freshman

Post by vladsee » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:08 pm

Here is something from the Philippines. I hope you will find this interesting...

Yamashita's Treasure - This is acutally more of a conspiracy theory/urban myth rather than a horror or paranormal story. The story was that during the final days of WW2, General Yamashita (aka The Tiger of Malaya) fled from Manila heading north to the mountain province allegedly taking with him stolen gold, art pieces, jewelry, etc. Unable to find a way to transport the treaure out to Japan and with the American Army at his heels, Gen. Yamashita decided to bury the treasure in a secret location or maybe in various secret locations. He was eventually executed after the war and knowledge of the exact whereabouts of the treasure were lost with him. Some say that he left behind a map showing where it is. Others say that there are a few surviving soldiers who know where it may be hidden. To this day, the map is nowhere to be found. If there are any living soldiers who may have information, they certainly have not surfaced yet.

There have been several high profile treasure hunters both local and international who claim to know where the treasure is hidden who have attempted the search in the 80s and 90s. Even the Philippine government gave them permission to dig in historical sites. All that was done was to leave big holes in the ground but there was no treasure to be found. There are some rumors that say that the treasure has already been found but whoever found it are just keeping it to themselves. There are certain individuals or families who are suspected to posses it due to their sudden unexplained wealth and are now owners of big businesses or patriarchs of political dyanasties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamashita%27s_gold

I think this could make for an interesting game scenario where the players take the role of treasure hunters to try to find this treasure. Who knows if there are mythos items that are also stashed together with the other valuables? If it has been discovered, who knows what evil plans are at work by those who found it?

Koakai
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Koakai » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:55 pm

What would you say if I told you that once upon a time there were ships from the orient, hastily unloaded onto specially constructed traincars which set out with maximum priority across Canada. These train cars were specially shortened to go faster around curves, and these trains only ever stopped to exchange locomotives in a rushed ballet of steel and steam. Armed guards accompanied these trains, and nothing was allowed to delay them, all other traffic was shunted onto sidings, including the train carrying the eventual King of England, King George VI. These trains ran between the 1890's till the mid 1930's.

Now what were these special cars carrying? Millions of dollars of raw silk. The insurance rates were so terrible that nothing could be allowed to delay these trains in their journey to the silk mills of New Jersey and New York. Declining demand during the depression and invention of Nylon put the end to these special trains, Canada's own silk road. However I can imagine these trains carrying a darker cargo. One that the investigators must either guard, or perhaps stop.

http://www.albertarailwaymuseum.com/sil ... erica.html

Another purely local thing of interest is a local beasty in the woods of the Pacific Northwest called Tsonoqua, or the wild woman of the woods. A native figure of mythology, she was both respected as a bringer of wealth, and feared as an orgress who would kidnap children in her cedar basket and take them home to eat. Her wild hooting led her to being depicted as having huge pursed lips and wild hair. Having checked the wiki on this creature, I find that she has powers that could be very mythos related.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzunukwa
PH.D candidate -M.U. Western Annex

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:33 pm

Koakai wrote:What would you say if I told you that once upon a time there were ships from the orient, hastily unloaded onto specially constructed traincars which set out with maximum priority across Canada. These train cars were specially shortened to go faster around curves, and these trains only ever stopped to exchange locomotives in a rushed ballet of steel and steam. Armed guards accompanied these trains, and nothing was allowed to delay them, all other traffic was shunted onto sidings, including the train carrying the eventual King of England, King George VI. These trains ran between the 1890's till the mid 1930's.

Now what were these special cars carrying? Millions of dollars of raw silk. The insurance rates were so terrible that nothing could be allowed to delay these trains in their journey to the silk mills of New Jersey and New York. Declining demand during the depression and invention of Nylon put the end to these special trains, Canada's own silk road. However I can imagine these trains carrying a darker cargo. One that the investigators must either guard, or perhaps stop.

http://www.albertarailwaymuseum.com/sil ... erica.html

Another purely local thing of interest is a local beasty in the woods of the Pacific Northwest called Tsonoqua, or the wild woman of the woods. A native figure of mythology, she was both respected as a bringer of wealth, and feared as an orgress who would kidnap children in her cedar basket and take them home to eat. Her wild hooting led her to being depicted as having huge pursed lips and wild hair. Having checked the wiki on this creature, I find that she has powers that could be very mythos related.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzunukwa
I would say that I love both of these tips! I've been looking for a good Train story, because they're such great elements to add to classic- or gaslight-era game between scenarios. The silk train would be the start of a brilliant hook.

Tsonoqua sounds weirdly similar to a whole class of ogresses around the world who eat children. In Bali, there's something called a Rangda, which is sometimes depicted holding a basket for children! Other Asian countries have eerily related stores. And then there's the Child-Eating Statue in Bern. Maybe I should do a segment on all of these to tie them together.
Plays for Keepers

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:43 pm

Dr. Gerard wrote: I would say that I love both of these tips! I've been looking for a good Train story, because they're such great elements to add to classic- or gaslight-era game between scenarios. The silk train would be the start of a brilliant hook.

Tsonoqua sounds weirdly similar to a whole class of ogresses around the world who eat children. In Bali, there's something called a Rangda, which is sometimes depicted holding a basket for children! Other Asian countries have eerily related stores. And then there's the Child-Eating Statue in Bern. Maybe I should do a segment on all of these to tie them together.
Why am I suddenly so hungry? :fhtagn: