Daily Life in the Ancient World

Topics for the Lecture and Slice of Life series.
Discussion about historical events, people, items, etc. that can add to the flavor to any historical game setting.
Discussion and sharing of links and resources.
Gladius
Sponsor
Sponsor
Daily Life in the Ancient World

Post by Gladius » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:58 pm

My friend is an AP/honors history teacher and I've told him about my Invictus campaign. He lent me a set of CDs from "The Great Courses" on daily life in the ancient world. The lectures are pretty interesting, and give a good background into what the daily life was like for many different groups. Each lecture focuses on one group; for example, "Being a Roman soldier;" "Being a Roman woman;" "Being a Poor Roman;" "Being a Rich Roman," etc. They give a keeper or a player some nice insight into what types of things might go on in daily life, excellent background detail for keepers and roleplaying hints for players.

The "Daily LIfe in Ancient Times" series is 24 CDs (!). It covers life in ancient Rome, Persia, Egypt, Britain, Greece, etc. If you can find it in the library or at a used book/CD store I'd definitely recommend them!

There is also an option to buy them as videos instead of just audio. Here's a link to the store where you can buy/download them:
http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/cour ... x?cid=3810

Once I listen to a bunch of them I may send you guys an audio review/snippet for the show.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor
Re: Daily Life in the Ancient World

Post by Dr. Gerard » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:17 pm

I'd love to hear a roundup of your thoughts on this. Sounds like great series.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:41 pm

No kidding! This sounds fantastic for prepping for a game.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:22 am

Wow, I think the stars are right, and the history nerd within me, is re-awakening from its slumber, in the R'lyeh of my mind's cyclopean abyss. :cthulhu1:
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.
-"The Strange High House in the Mist" by HPL