Boston Region 1922 - Hotels / Prices

Topics for the Lecture and Slice of Life series.
Discussion about historical events, people, items, etc. that can add to the flavor to any historical game setting.
Discussion and sharing of links and resources.
Logar
Freshman
Freshman
Boston Region 1922 - Hotels / Prices

Post by Logar » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:06 pm

Ok, here are some prices for actual Hotels from ads listed in the Boston Globe. Cost is listed per day/week. This is as of August 1922.
Most of the Hotels had a large amount of rooms like 80 up to 150. Although I get the feeling they were for bachelor types/ or anyone who needed a place for an extended amount of time. Sort of like a YMCA or maybe a motel but with one big building and a lot more rooms. My example is the cost. The typical daily/weekly cost adds up to a monthly cost that is comparable to what you would pay for apartment/boarding house rent as you will see below:

Putnams' Hotel - 284 Huntington Ave. Between the Boston Opera House and Symphony Hall. 10 minutes from the Theater District. 80 rooms, hot and cold running water, electric lights. $7-15/week $1-3/day. Restaurant and cafeteria.
(The above is directly from an add for the Putnam so you can get an idea of a typical listing)

Hotel Edwards - Bowdoin Street (near State House): $1-3/daily or $6-12/weekly

Hotel Lucerne - 66 Causeway Street (next to North Station): $4.50+/week

Hotel Windsor - 18 Bowdoin Street .75c - $1.50/ daily

Hotel Washington - Northampton Street
Majestic Hotel - Bowdoin Square
(I didn't get a price for these two but I assume they are comparable to the others)

What I am wondering about is the respectability of hotels at the time. I keep thinking of it as the place men went when they were kicked out of the house. "Charlie? He's been staying down at the ... hotel ... since they had that fight." Or a place for semi-respectable people with a legitimate reason. Salesmen (up to no good), sailors (up to no good), bachelors (up to no good), visiting professors (definitely up to no good at least in Call of Cthulhu), etc..
Does anyone know if they were thought of as just second class homes or did the typical housewife for example, think of it as a place where drunkards stayed and prostitutes went? Or like anywhere else, it just depended on the places reputation. If you have an idea please mention it. It's not a big deal but I am casually interested. Not just in the reputations either. How they were used at the time, things like that.

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
Re: Boston Region 1922 - Hotels / Prices

Post by KeeperMurph » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:33 pm

Really good info there man. Thanks for it.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Logar
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Logar » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:32 pm

KeeperMurph wrote:Really good info there man. Thanks for it.

Thank you! Take a look at the job/pay listing I put up and combine it with this and the rent prices and it begins to form a better rounded idea of money issues.
Although, I have to say that thing at the bottom of your message... "Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk" is making me paranoid. You don't happen to work for the government do you? ... Kidding. I'm guessing it's a phone thing :)

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:40 pm

Logar wrote:
KeeperMurph wrote:Really good info there man. Thanks for it.

Thank you! Take a look at the job/pay listing I put up and combine it with this and the rent prices and it begins to form a better rounded idea of money issues.
Although, I have to say that thing at the bottom of your message... "Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk" is making me paranoid. You don't happen to work for the government do you? ... Kidding. I'm guessing it's a phone thing :)
Yeah, I post from the same app on my phone sometimes, and it does that to me, too.

Sent from my NCC-1701SpaceShip using Tapatalk 2
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers