022 - The Lost City of Zed

Topics for the Lecture and Slice of Life series.
Discussion about historical events, people, items, etc. that can add to the flavor to any historical game setting.
Discussion and sharing of links and resources.
Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor
022 - The Lost City of Zed

Post by Dr. Gerard » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:16 am

Between 1906 and 1924, British adventurer and gifted surveyor Percy Fawcett made seven expeditions into uncharted regions of South America.

Fawcett was friends with author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, who based his 1912 novel “The Lost World,” on Fawcett’s exploits.
Fawcett was also a close follower of Madam Blavatsky’s Theosophical Movement. Blavatsky taught that a psychic network of enlightened spiritual masters lived in hidden cities from ancient civilizations around the world.

While exploring Brazil, Fawcett became obsessed with rumors of a legendary abandoned pre-colonial kingdom he called “The Lost City of Zed.”

He based his theory on the journals of 16th Century missionary Gaspar Carvajal, an early explorer of the Andes and the Amazon Basin.

Carvajal wrote about white Indians and female warriors that resembled the Amazons of Greek myth. Another explorer reported seeing a city of gold, in a later report known as Manuscript 512.

Fawcett connected these legends to some strange carvings on stone artifacts in the jungle, that had an angular script loosely resembling Greek.

To Fawcett’s mind, the stories and matched the description of Blavatzy’s lost civilizations. He imagined a Greek city of stone like legends of Atlantis.

His expedition plans were interrupted by the outbreak of World War I, in which he served with the British artillery brigade in Flanders, despite being nearly 50 years old at the time.

But after the war, he returned to Brazil and began to search for Zed. He secured funding from a mysterious group of financiers that called themselves “The Glove.”

He recruited his son, Jack, and on April 20 1925, and the two embarked for the Mato Grosso region of the Amazon, a place known to be inhabited by violent tribes that many explorers have come to call “green hell.”

Fawcett’s last known coordinates were sent in a letter to his wife Nina in a secret code.

The coordinates pointed to a place Fawcett called Dead Horse Camp. Little else is known of their last days, but the party was never heard from again.

Only Fawcett’s compass and signet ring have surfaced over the years.

Fawcett’s wife and others believe the party found their lost city, and lived out their days as high priests. A scholar who studied his private papers believes Fawcett never intended to return to Britain, but believed his son to be a great spiritual leader who would be worshiped as a god once they reached Zed.

Since 1925, up to 100 explorers have died or disappeared trying to retrace Fawcett’s expedition.

One wonders if perhaps the population of Fawcett’s lost city — has grown a little over the years.

For more on The Lost City of Z, look up David Grann’s book about the expedition.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator
Re: 022 - The Lost City of Zed

Post by trevlix » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:05 pm

I absolutely loved "The Lost City of Z". Great recommendation!

If you are looking for something to base a pulp story off of, this is it!

Question - was the information on "The Glove" in the book? I don't recall that, but its been a while since I read it.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Koakai
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Koakai » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:43 pm

The fascinating thing about this lecture is that since 2010 there has been a rash of finds in the amazon. Large geoglyphs have been seen now that deforestation has been an ongoing factor in the region.

http://www.world-archaeology.com/news/a ... ire-found/

Very cool stuff.
PH.D candidate -M.U. Western Annex

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:31 pm

Koakai wrote:The fascinating thing about this lecture is that since 2010 there has been a rash of finds in the amazon. Large geoglyphs have been seen now that deforestation has been an ongoing factor in the region.
Absolutely right. I wrote some of that stuff into the first draft, but then cut it back for time, so I'm glad you're bringing it up. David Grann's book covers some of these findings -- he retraced Fawcett's steps and began to publicize these sites. And curiously, Google Earth has helped to identify some other previously unknown sites. There's apparently not much rock in the Amazon for pyramid building or other more permanent structures, but remaining trenches and earthworks indicate a vast civilization able to coordinate (likely with slavery, let's not be naive) massive labor forces to create water systems and advanced infrastructure. Awesome. And sad. It seems that this civilization might have been wiped out, much like the rest of the Americas, by disease brought over from Europe. Talk about the end of the world. I'm fascinated by those years of plague between first contact and westward expansion. I hope it doesn't seem insensitive to say so, but it has always seemed like a potential backdrop for a very dark horror scenario. To many tribes, it really must have seemed like the end of all things.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers