What are you looking forward to at Gen Con?

Conventions, gatherings, ceremonies and other in-person meetings.
Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor
What are you looking forward to at Gen Con?

Post by Keeper Jon » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:13 pm

Gen Con is right around the corner. Are you, like me, already planning on what you want to find and buy?

For me, I'm looking for vintage Call of Cthulhu supplements and small press zines for Call of Cthulhu and Dungeon Crawl Classics. I'm not sure if I'm going to buy anything that's new. While it'd be cool to get it at Gen Con, I can most likely get it for a discount if I wait a bit and buy it online.

What about you guys?

toddwo
Sophmore
Sophmore
Re: What are you looking forward to at Gen Con?

Post by toddwo » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:53 pm

I'm always on the lookout for rare, out of print stuff at the Gen Con Auction, and of course I'll be picking up my copy of Starfall in the Dealers Hall. More importantly, though, I'm most looking forward to meeting the hosts of the Miskatonic University Podcast!
That’s what you young chaps have got to remember – when you run, run, full speed, with never a thought for anything else; don’t look or listen or dither even for an instant; let terror have his way, for he’s the best friend you’ve got- Harry Flashman

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:44 pm

I cannot go to Gen Con, but I'm looking forward for when you publish the live show you'll be doing there.
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.
-"The Strange High House in the Mist" by HPL

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:07 pm

Hey Thomas, what kinds of things are you looking forward to hearing about from us in the live show? How can we serve non-con goers? Any suggestions appreciated.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:20 pm

Well, be our eyes and ears. What did you see, hear, do, experience? How does it feel to be at a con? What kind of people do you meet? What are the similarities and differences between different cons you've been on? What makes Gen Con unique for you? What does Gen Con have to offer that you haven't experienced anywhere else? What has been fun, has anything not been fun? Found out any good gossip? Got any bad news?

You people always manage to deliver, or I wouldn't still keep listening to you. Keep up the good work! :)
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.
-"The Strange High House in the Mist" by HPL

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:54 am

Those are all great reminders. We will keep the senses sharpened!
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree

Post by Nvision » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:55 am

I would love to hear a Lovecraftian adjective-laden description of the smell at GenCon.

caddy1071
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by caddy1071 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:25 am

Nvision wrote:I would love to hear a Lovecraftian adjective-laden description of the smell at GenCon.
You really don't want that. ;) J/k with very few exceptions, I think the brow beating in the program has convinced the less hygenic to shower once or twice for the Con.

tty!
Cory
Geekery Unbound

caddy1071
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by caddy1071 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:41 am

I gotta say, my typical Gencon mojo has been broken, probably for the better, this year, so this will be a bit of a different Gencon for me. (I've not the last 8, (or 9?) years?) Our typically friends signing up for the same events was a fail this year, so I'm kinda solo'ing this one - I'm making it the year of Cthulhu. :p I didn't get any CoC games proper, so I'm going to run one, I have a True Dungeon event a friend wanted to do, but my usual otherwise Pathfinder-ful schedule is pretty open, and that's kinda nice. I've picked up a bunch of Cthulhu seminars, and we'll see if I can jump on some interesting gaming sessions for no shows. Jon, you still thinking about a DCC pickup on Sunday? :p I'm defnitely interested. :)

I guess on the fantasy side of things, I'll probaby see if I can get in a 5th Edition proper game to see what that is like, and I'm sure we'll have to do an obligatory Pathfinder session or two, but it might be nice to break that habit a bit.

From all the podcasts I've been listening to (MUP, Ken and & Robin and The Dead Games Society) I've expanded my RPG knowledge about 500% and will probably look for some vintage stuff to round out the collection. Looks like I need a Mentzer Basic set, the Delta Green Supplements which I've been hearing so much about and some of the classic Chaosium Sourcebooks which I'm missing. :p

OH yeah - the Auction. That's something I've never really done in the past - maybe I should complete my Gencon anti-mojo and do some hanging around there and see if I can pick up something cool. Nice idea, toddwo.

tty!
Cory
Geekery Unbound

toddwo
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by toddwo » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:48 pm

caddy1071 wrote:I gotta say, my typical Gencon mojo has been broken, probably for the better, this year, so this will be a bit of a different Gencon for me. (I've not the last 8, (or 9?) years?) Our typically friends signing up for the same events was a fail this year, so I'm kinda solo'ing this one - I'm making it the year of Cthulhu. :p I didn't get any CoC games proper, so I'm going to run one, I have a True Dungeon event a friend wanted to do, but my usual otherwise Pathfinder-ful schedule is pretty open, and that's kinda nice. I've picked up a bunch of Cthulhu seminars, and we'll see if I can jump on some interesting gaming sessions for no shows. Jon, you still thinking about a DCC pickup on Sunday? :p I'm defnitely interested. :)

I guess on the fantasy side of things, I'll probaby see if I can get in a 5th Edition proper game to see what that is like, and I'm sure we'll have to do an obligatory Pathfinder session or two, but it might be nice to break that habit a bit.

From all the podcasts I've been listening to (MUP, Ken and & Robin and The Dead Games Society) I've expanded my RPG knowledge about 500% and will probably look for some vintage stuff to round out the collection. Looks like I need a Mentzer Basic set, the Delta Green Supplements which I've been hearing so much about and some of the classic Chaosium Sourcebooks which I'm missing. :p
OH yeah - the Auction. That's something I've never really done in the past - maybe I should complete my Gencon anti-mojo and do some hanging around there and see if I can pick up something cool. Nice idea, toddwo.
tty!
Cory
Be sure to check out the auction consignment store, where items that don't make their minimum bid are put up for sale. I've found a great many bargains there.
That’s what you young chaps have got to remember – when you run, run, full speed, with never a thought for anything else; don’t look or listen or dither even for an instant; let terror have his way, for he’s the best friend you’ve got- Harry Flashman