What are you looking to purchase at a convention?

Conventions, gatherings, ceremonies and other in-person meetings.
Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor
What are you looking to purchase at a convention?

Post by Keeper Jon » Mon May 19, 2014 7:20 pm

So, I am going to my very first Gen Con. And now I find myself itching to get to the dealer's hall and do some shopping. I heard the new D&D Next Player's Handbook and the first module will be available. Hmm... maybe, but I'm positive that it'll be cheaper via Amazon or Miniature Market. I am growing to love Goodman Games' Dungeon Crawl Classics, so I'm thinking I'll get a set of Zochi "funky" dice. I also want to look for some vintage stuff, Psi-World, FASA Star Trek, and Villains & Vigilantes.

What are you looking to buy and Gen Con or any other con? Is there something I should seriously consider buying?

fallingtower
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Re: What are you looking to purchase at a convention?

Post by fallingtower » Mon May 19, 2014 7:45 pm

The thing I love about conventions is the ability to haggle. I usually don't haggle on price, but freebies. I'll grab like 3 or 4 items at one particular vendor booth and then see if I can squeeze in a freebie. I've gotten lot's of freebies over the years.

I once tried to haggle Charlie Krank, he was unbreakable. I still regret not making that purchase. Two boxes of Mythos: New Aeon cards, a couple of modules (one of them Orient Express), and a T-shirt...I tried to haggle a canvas bag. He wouldn't bite. I walked away.
If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences.

H. P. Lovecraft

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Mon May 19, 2014 7:54 pm

I look for whatever deals I can get. There is a vendor @ Origins every year (and I presume Gencon) that has all books 50% off, and also a HUGE shelf of buy 1 get 2 free. I've gotten so many amazing deals from them, they are always my first stop.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Benjamin.wenham
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Benjamin.wenham » Mon May 19, 2014 8:47 pm

I would say...purchase the things you can cannot easily buy anywhere else. Vintage games. Limited editions/small run. GenCon exclusives. Indie games you've never heard of but which your happy to take a punt on.

Sent from Carcosa