Origins 2014

Conventions, gatherings, ceremonies and other in-person meetings.
trevlix
Investigator
Investigator
Origins 2014

Post by trevlix » Thu May 08, 2014 1:30 pm

OK who's going to Origins?
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

fallingtower
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Re: Origins 2014

Post by fallingtower » Thu May 08, 2014 8:25 pm

I'm thinking about it. I have a couple friends I'm trying to get to help with the expenses. One is in the middle of a divorce right now, so not sure if he's going to make it.

But I've never been to a big con and would like to.

I even have a couple of games I'd like to run.
If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences.

H. P. Lovecraft

hastur
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by hastur » Thu May 08, 2014 11:14 pm

i'd love to, but alas... a series of little mix-ups over what's considered edible in the con-suite has gotten me banned from most of the larger cons.
say it three times, girl
there's no tomorrow
and there's no today
say it three times
i'm not far away

i survived the Post GenCon Random Bizarre BS episode

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Sat May 10, 2014 1:43 pm

fallingtower If you go let me know. I'd love to meet up.

hastur - Um, ya, you need to tell that story!!!

I didn't say in my original post, but I'll be running 4 games...2 of my CoC scenario Devil's Cave and 2 of a new scenario for an upcoming 50s b-movie RPG called The Menace from Beyond.

** Self-serving post here, but I wrote up a few blog entries on Origins for newbies if anyone is interested. There used to be some great sites put there, but they are no longer around.

fallingtower
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fallingtower » Sat May 10, 2014 8:42 pm

trevlix, If I do make it I plan on running a couple of games and would definitely like to meet up.

I don't know if there is any space for 'pick up' games, but I hope so. I have had a lot of bad luck at cons. Either the person running is a complete idiot or I seem to attract the wrong type of player.

I have more than a few horror stories.

I'll tell you right about now one of my ideas for a game if I do make it.

All the characters are hard core LARPERS, so yeah it's modern. Anyway, someone is throwing a huge event, complete with overnight camping, a pub tent with live music and dancing and so on. The event is being billed as kind of a super bowl for LARPing, so it's only for the elite and invitation only. There are going to be a lot of expensive prizes as well. Have you ever seen what some of those foam weapons cost!!??

I have the scenario worked out pretty much. But, I'm not sure what would be more fun, actually getting to roll up your character and then create their LARP persona or just do pre-gens. I know if it were me, I'd love to come up with a ridiculous LARP persona myself.

Throbgar Deathaxe, Mystaraan Nightstorm and so on...they just seem to flow naturally.
If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences.

H. P. Lovecraft

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Mon May 12, 2014 2:40 pm

Heh - sounds fun! I'm sure you could get some people to play in it in a pick up (me included).

As for pre-gens vs creating, I guess it depends on how much time you want to do it in.

Howard
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Howard » Mon May 12, 2014 9:23 pm

trevlix wrote: I'll be running 4 games...2 of my CoC scenario Devil's Cave and 2 of a new scenario for an upcoming 50s b-movie RPG called The Menace from Beyond.
I'm going again. If I get in any games, I'll look yours up first. The Menace from beyond sounds good.

fallingtower
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fallingtower » Tue May 13, 2014 12:23 am

It looks like my Origin's dreams might be dashed upon the rocks. My friend who is going through the divorce, which was supposed to be done last week is going to drag on. It goes to trial the week of Origins. He was probably going to be the driver, I only have one car and can't leave my lady and kid without a vehicle for 2 or 3 days.

H. P. Lovecraft

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Tue May 13, 2014 2:28 pm

:( That sucks.

fallingtower
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fallingtower » Tue May 13, 2014 9:18 pm

Carry on geeking without me. :cry:

H. P. Lovecraft