Nexus Game Fair

Conventions, gatherings, ceremonies and other in-person meetings.
EddyPo
Sponsor
Sponsor
Nexus Game Fair

Post by EddyPo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:31 pm

Nexus Game Fair brings summer gaming back to Milwaukee, June 19 to 22nd.

There is a great lineup of special guests: Jolly Blackburn, Mike Carr, Chris Clark, Bob Coggins, Dave "Zeb" Cook, Jeff Easley, Todd Fisher, Matt Forbeck, Kenneth Hite, Tim Kask, Dave Kenzer, and James Lowder.

More information can be found here: http://www.nexusgamefair.com
Not a hack!

caddy1071
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: Nexus Game Fair

Post by caddy1071 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:37 am

EddyPo wrote:Nexus Game Fair brings summer gaming back to Milwaukee, June 19 to 22nd.

There is a great lineup of special guests: Jolly Blackburn, Mike Carr, Chris Clark, Bob Coggins, Dave "Zeb" Cook, Jeff Easley, Todd Fisher, Matt Forbeck, Kenneth Hite, Tim Kask, Dave Kenzer, and James Lowder.

More information can be found here: http://www.nexusgamefair.com

Man, sounds purty damned great - gotta see if I can carve out the time. Lots of buzz at Gary Con, and I think they said they're trying to make it as affordable as possible - pretty cool! :p

Note to self, check it out. :)

tty!
Cory
Geekery Unbound

caddy1071
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by caddy1071 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:34 am

Badge bought, will game. :p

tty!
Cory
Geekery Unbound

EddyPo
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by EddyPo » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:26 pm

caddy1071 wrote:Badge bought, will game. :p

tty!
Cory
Awesome! I'll see you there. The Event Catalogue is live. Here are some of the Horror RPG games on tap so far:

The Gilded City -- Down the seven hundred steps and past the Gate of Greater Slumber, there is a city forbidden to mortal dreamers. For in gilded Kadath, hidden beyond the black gulfs of our own dreamlands, the Elder Gods still dance. But other gods, terrible and alien watch over the selfish gods of man, and their soul and messenger is the crawling chaos, Nyarlathotep.

In the Realm of a Dying Sea -- August 1942. At the height of the Russian campaign, elite members of the Waffen SS are sent on a secret mission to an island in the remote Aral Sea. Forbidden and unnatural experiments, clandestine and reckless affronts against humanity: a daring aviatrix will fly them into what will become the mind-shattering horror of Vozrozhdeniya Island! A Call of Cthulhu adventure for 4-6 players. Brought to you by the Dead Games Society!

Stranger Days and Crazy Nights -- “Welcome to Chicago”, a tall grey headed man in a blue pinstriped suit says to you. My name is Mr. Johanson. I know you all have wondered why I brought you here. I summoned you because you all have assets I find useful. This Museum is merely a front for the Artifact Acquisition Group. An organization that helps keep really bad things from happening to normal people. As you already know, you’re not normal. As he paces across the floor a few more times the telephone rings and he says “I see”. Hanging up the phone he looks at you with a look of horror and says “We have a big problem”

Nightmare on Sesame Street -- Mr. Hooper has been found ritualistically murdered in his store and children begin to disappear. The clues are few as horror fills the once peaceful streets of Sesame Street. Luckily Kermit the Frog is on the case along with the Cookie Monster, Count Von Count, Grover and Ernie and Bert as they try to solve the mystery of the Nightmare on Sesame Street. Guest DM: Bob

DGS Presents: Terror on the Love Boat -- Amongst much fanfare and confetti you depart on a 5 day, 4 night cruise to some of the most romantic places on Earth. All is wonderful. All is perfect. All is about to go horribly wrong in this Cthulhu by Strobe-Light adventure. Ah Amore. Guest DM Capt. Stubing.

DGS Presents: The Simpson’s Dial Z for Zombies -- On a dark and stormy night you hear a faint scratch at your door. Is it Santa’s Little Helper, Snowball 2 or perhaps the pizza you ordered? No, just a Zombie there to eat your brain. Doh! The citizen’s of Springfield must band together to beat back the Zombie Hoards and find the source of their unrest in the Call of Cthulhu adventure. Show’s over Shakespeare

Murder on the Moors -- Welcome to Bleaklow Manor, a respectable country estate located on the moors, where the Earl of Marsden is celebrating his sixtieth birthday. The formal affair shall feature fine dining and drinks; but will murder also be on the menu?

http://registration.nexusgamefair.com/event_catalog.php
Not a hack!

EddyPo
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by EddyPo » Mon May 12, 2014 3:17 pm

tty!
Cory
Hey Cory, games open up for registration tonight (5/12). What games are you looking at right now?

~Ed
Not a hack!

caddy1071
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by caddy1071 » Wed May 14, 2014 3:09 am

EddyPo wrote:

tty!
Cory
Hey Cory, games open up for registration tonight (5/12). What games are you looking at right now?

~Ed

Hi Ed! Bah, steeupid - shoulda thought to post here. A friend of mine and I got everything we wish for firing our choices off at the bell. :p Got a few DGS, and it looks like our Colin Higgins Cthulhu game still have some spaces available if you're interested. :)

Also, I'm going to take a stab at running Scott Dorward's Blackwater Creek at 10 AM on Friday, if anybody is interested. :)

Full list of what we're going to:
11124425 Learn to Hack: The Sewer Run to Freedom Hackmaster Thurs, Noon 2.0 hrs. - heard of some interesting mechanics in Hackmaster, thought I'd give it a whirl.
11184005 In the Realm of a Dying Sea Call of Cthulhu Thurs, 6:00pm 4.0 hrs. - Colin Higgins DGS - still 2 available
12104442 Blackwater Creek Role-Playing Game Call of Cthulhu 7th Ed Quickstart Fri, 10:00am 4 hrs - My game :)
12174009 DGS Presents: Terror on the Love Boat Call of Cthulhu d20 Fri, 5:00pm 3.0 hrs.
12204971 Friends in Low Places Firefly Fri, 8:00pm 3.5 hrs. - Space cowboys, y'all
13124068 The Chicago Way Gangbusters Sat, Noon 3.5 hrs. - Chad Parish DGS - tickets still available
13184445 Keep a Stiff Upper Lip Savage Worlds Sat, 6:00pm 4.0 hrs. - Taking a crack at Savage Worlds :p

Looking forward to playing, should be interesting! :)

tty!
Cory
Geekery Unbound

caddy1071
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by caddy1071 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:44 pm

Nexus obtained! :p

Looks to be pretty cool - Clarion is kinda old, but is very clean and nice... Fridge and microwave in the room, that's useful. Bar food got thumbs up all around at lunch, lots of gaming space and a big vendor hall for a small con - this could be pretty sweet. Kenneth Hite has confirmed on G+ he'll be locked into a room and speaking from 1-5 PM on Saturday. :p

Anybody attending? Ping me and we can get together for a drink, game, all of the above or other. :)

tty!
Cory
Geekery Unbound

EddyPo
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by EddyPo » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:57 am

I'll be there Saturday. See you then!
Not a hack!

caddy1071
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by caddy1071 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:58 am

Sounds good, Ed! See ya then! :)

tty!
Cory
Geekery Unbound

caddy1071
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by caddy1071 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:22 am

Hi all! Hey, just wanted to give a Nexus Game Fair recap! For a first year, is was pretty incredible! The Clarion at the Milwaukee Airport isn't really a looker, but it's a great spot for a convention! Older but great rooms and comfortable beds, the gaming space was pretty colossal for the early years and should serve them well for a while, and the food was pretty great for convention food.

But, we're here for the GAMING! It was an amazing and cozy con - they had tons of industry greats there to game with and socialize. We were hanging in the bar with the Dead Games Society boys, and I ended up introducing my self to a certain guy named "Zeb" sitting next to me, and end up drinking with he, Jolly Blackburn and Stefan Pokorny for the night. :p Many familiar faces from GaryCon were happily around the convention, and I got a few iconic Dead Games Society plays in, which are absolutely great if you get a chance. They take it to the next level in preparation and you have tons of fun - if you see the DGS banner, give it a try! (Chad, Michael and Colin - thank you for your contributions - you're definitely rock stars at these cons.) :cthulhudance:

We lucked out and Zeb Cook was looking for a game, so he played my Indian Manservant to my Manor House Colonel in my first play of Savage Worlds - MAN, he's a legend. I was humbled by his awesome roleplaying skillz and intuitive game mastery, and stayed a lame padwan in comparison - it was a blast nonetheless! Zeb playing the competent servant while I baffooned around as a clueless blue blood; it worked incredibly well! Anyway, it'll be a great memory. (Note to self: Don't drink so much the night before playing with the greats. ;) ) The likes of Frank Mentzer, Tim Kask, Jim Ward and Skip Williams roaming the single stretching hallway throughout the convention center - pretty great stuff.

I guess my biggest "wha?" is the non-existence (as far as I know of) a schedule of seminars until the I received the program. Kenneth Hite provided his schedule beforehand on Google+, so I was sure to some time out to pick up his seminar (with a couple other industry leaders, who I was unfortunately not familiar with) on creating horror in gaming. I'm a huge fan of Ken & Robin Talk About Stuff, and to have a personal session of Ken rants 10 feet away from me, was pretty damn cool. In addition, met up with Eddy Po - great to see ya there and hang for a bit, Ed! :)

Anyway, I was extremely impressed, as you may have sensed. Looking forward to next year! Next destination GenCon, then on to Gamehole! If you guys and make these, do your best - especially these fledgling cons - get 'em while their young! ;) Sounds like Ed Greenwood is going to be at Gamehole this year, and from the strength of what I heard of Gamehole from last year, I'm sure there will be some other legends as well... When they are this small, the likelihood of hobnobbing with the greats is pretty favorable. Hope to game with ya soon! :)

tty!
Cory
Geekery Unbound