Dec 22nd 3pm PST Online Game (Xmas meets the Mythos)

A place for games to be managed and run, as well as looking for people to play with online.
Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 22nd 3pm PST Online Game (Xmas meets the Mythos)

Post by Shannon Mac » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:53 am

ONLINE GAMERS: I'll be running a Cthulhu RPG Mythos game in which regular people meet something out of the ordinary for the first time in their lives. You will need to make your own character and I can send the info for it if needed. Dec 22nd Sunday 3-7pm PST.

http://www.infrno.net/games/4182
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: Dec 22nd 3pm PST Online Game (Xmas meets the Mythos)

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:57 am

How did the game go for you? I ran it on December 30 with 4 investigators. One Doctor of Medicine, who hosted the Christmas Party, one Soldier, one Lawyer, and one Alcoholic Criminal (they all got to roll a Character Trait from Cthulhu by Gaslight), all childhood friends in their 30s coming together for the holidays. They all got stabbed to death during the final battle, but we all had fun.
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.
-"The Strange High House in the Mist" by HPL

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:28 am

SPOILERS

I had 2 players (Alabama hick with a gun and a no nonsense gym owner in Arkham) and an NPC cop on the 22nd (a lot of people wanted to play but they were out of town). Both of the PCs got hurt but nobody died. They arrived armed. It was somewhat good but could have used another player or two to round it out as the investigation is pretty simple and relies a lot on player interactions.

I'm running this on the 10th for 5 players who I know offline. Since the previous run took 2 hrs and 20 minutes this upcoming game should be longer but under four hours. So far we've got a pro wrestling doctor, a famous psychic and a circus entertainer. The others have yet to submit anything.

There are three online Infrno achievements (one for dying titled "Silenced on Silent Night"), one for being the host and one for completing the scenario.

How did four people get wiped out at the end? Were they all unarmed with no combat skills? If so why didn't they go to the cops for help? That's what these two players did which was a smart move.

END SPOILERS

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:35 pm

Shannon Mac wrote:How did four people get wiped out at the end? Were they all unarmed with no combat skills? If so why didn't they go to the cops for help? That's what these two players did which was a smart move.
Well, as the scenario took place in Arkham in present day, we made use of the Arkham Now [CHA 23116] book. On page 20 the players read about the Massachusetts Gun Laws, and reasoned it would be highly unlikely they would take their guns with them to a Christmas Party among friends. They put their skill points on unarmed combat and knives, the Doctor of Medicine was very skilled with his scalpel and other knives, and the Soldier were trained using combat knives. The cops suspected them of murder of a married couple in the neighbourhood, so they didn't want to contact the cops again, unless they had some really good reason for it, and later their enemies cut the phone-wires, so they couldn't contact the cops again even if they wanted to, at least not on a land-line. Their battles during the adventure went very well, until the final battle when they made some major fumbles, and using the tables for fumbles in Basic RolePlaying [CHA 2020], they accidentally stabbed each other with critical hits, causing some laughs around the table, and ending the final battle quite early.
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:29 am

Sounds like you could use that fumble table to wipe out the entire party. 8-)

SPOILERS BEGIN:

In the first run they got a cop on their side. I just ran a second time tonight for a "late crew" of gamers who had planned this date out two months back. Yes, it's hard to get them together.

The second group didn't have access to the cops. I had the smurfs freeze them to speed things along otherwise it would have gone too long (this group was thinking of calling in detective and walking over there and such). The second group was not a combat type so I gave them a mix of combat and psychic connection to Ithaqua's avatar to stop the ritual (unlike the first group they still had the ceremonial knife and broke it in the abode of the smurfs).

Oh, I also used pics to show them as kids, then blue skinned types and then Gremlins from the movie. Early on one of the PCs thought he had seen things and killed a kid. I let him sweat it out for a good hour.

The second group was incredibly lucky on their combat rolls mostly so the opposite of your cursed group. Heh.

END SPOILERS

The group enjoyed their characters and since they all survived I might continue the tradition and do another Xmas/Mythos "Special" next Xmas/January. :twisted:

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:11 am

Shannon Mac wrote:The group enjoyed their characters and since they all survived I might continue the tradition and do another Xmas/Mythos "Special" next Xmas/January. :twisted:
Nice, my group already have a Halloween tradition, and with this last scenario also have a Xmas tradition now. :)