Cthulhu Dark -- A Secret Everest Expedition

A place for games to be managed and run, as well as looking for people to play with online.
Scriven
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: Cthulhu Dark -- A Secret Everest Expedition

Post by Scriven » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:31 pm

Keeper Jon wrote:Please meet: Ansfrid Kolstad, Norwegian Meteorologist and experienced climber of the Swiss Alps. He is also a competitive skier.
Kolstad? Norwegian cousin to Wally Korstadt and Richard Kirstead?
Dr.Gerard wrote:Everyone must be an experienced alpine climber in excellent physical shape.
Well, there goes my initial idea of roleplaying a donut-inhaling shut-in. Just offhand, Dr. Gerard, are there any reference materials (online or otherwise) you would recommend that might give those of use unfamiliar with these kinds of expeditions a little rudimentary background? I hate going in sounding like a rube, especially if my character is supposed to be experienced in the field.
AKA Professor Max von Schiller of the Miskatonic Area Paranormal Society (MAPS)
AKA George Finch of the Secret Everest Expedition
"Let's see if someone tries to kill us and work backwards" -- Dr. Who

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:29 pm

mjmedwick wrote:Dr. Gerard, are there any reference materials (online or otherwise) you would recommend that might give those of use unfamiliar with these kinds of expeditions a little rudimentary background? I hate going in sounding like a rube, especially if my character is supposed to be experienced in the field.
Yes indeed. I'm about to post a little background section with links and suggestions for possible key historical figures to play. You could also use those figures as a basis for a fictional character. I'll include a few of the unclaimed historical figures as NPCs to make sure you'll have the skills needed for the expedition.

I recommend reading the background and plot hook. If you have a non-climber character concept you want to hammer out, I'm more than happy to figure out a way to get them in the expedition. We just need to justify them being recruited for this extremely hazardous secret alpine mission.

Meteorologist is an excellent choice, Jon. Welcome Ansfrid! I'll have some questions for you. Take a look at the background (next post) and we'll work out how you got drafted for this weird job.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:57 pm

"The entire summit ridge and final peak of Everest were unveiled. My eyes became fixed on one tiny black spot silhouetted on a small snow-crest beneath a rock-step in the ridge; the black spot moved. Another black spot became apparent and moved up the snow to join the other on the crest.” -- Noel Odell, member of the 1924 expedition and last person known to have seen George Mallory and Sandy Irvine alive.
In the early 1920s, Britain launched three unsuccessful expeditions to reach the top of Mount Everest. The race was part of a tug-o-war between Britain and Russia over control of central Asia, a political chess match nicknamed “The Great Game.”

1st Attempt: 1921 – Five-month reconnaissance expedition in which George Mallory discovered the northern route to the summit, reached 23,000 feet and was the first to set foot on the mountain.
2nd Attempt: 1922 – Reached 27,000 feet. Bottled oxygen used for the first time. Seven Sherpas died in a tragic avalanche.
3rd Attempt: 1924 – George Mallory and Andrew “Sandy” Irvine vanished high on the slope. Through a mysterious break in thick fog, climber Noel Odell was the last to see them alive.

Because of the loss of life in the latter two attempts, Tibet has since closed its borders to Britons and any future expeditions.

Now: Spring, 1925

But at great personal expense, the chairman of the Mount Everest Committee, Sir Francis Younghusband, has launched a secret mission to recover the bodies of Mallory and Irvine and – perhaps – to make one last attempt to claim the peak for Britain.

Why did Younghusband recruit you for this mission? What skills do you have that he thought would help the team? Do you have any personal connections to previous expeditions?

Dramatis Personae

Normally, Player-Characters in Cthulhu Dark need only declare a name and a profession to get started. This scenario was originally written for pre-generated characters, so here are some possible historical figures to play as characters if you want, or use them as the basis for your own creation…

Edward “Teddy” Norton: Climber, Leader and Soldier. Teddy was a member of the 1922 expedition and took over as expedition leader in 1924 when former leader Charles Bruce contracted malaria. He wrote a book about the 1924 expedition.

Trafford Leigh-Mallory: Beginning Climber, Pilot and brother of missing climber George Mallory. He has trained for one year in high-altitude flight and alpine climbing to prepare for this mission, but has never been to the Himalayas.

George Finch: Australian Climber, Chemist, Skier, and inventor of the high-altitude oxygen system. He was part of the expedition in 1922, but was excluded in 1924 due to a scandal over his accepting money for lectures. Rumor has it that he was spurned because the British didn’t want an Aussie to reach the peak first.

Howard Somervell:Climber, Surgeon, Soldier, Pacifist Missionary. He was a member of the 1922 and 1924 expeditions. He was a close friend of George Mallory, and the two used to recite Shakespeare together to pass the time. He is deeply haunted with guilt over the death of seven Sherpas in the 1922 expedition. He nearly died choking on a dislodged chunk of his own frostbitten throat in the 1924 mission.

Richard Hingston: Climber, Physician and Naturalist. He has traveled extensively in Central Asia and has written many books on the creatures of the region. He served as the head physician for the 1924 expedition, but was one of the least experienced climbers. He collected 10,000 specimens during that expedition, and discovered the highest-altitude spider ever recorded.
Plays for Keepers

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:07 pm

I think I'll take Trafford Leigh-Mallory. He should be interesting to play, with the least amount of climbing experience. :)
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:50 pm

Ansfrid Kolstad was selected for the expedition because of his unique skills of both an experienced climber/skier and a noted meteorologist.

Scriven
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Scriven » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:54 pm

I'll take George Finch, please. I've looked through a few online notes about him -- pragmatic, capable, controversial. I especially like the fact that Mallory was using the breathing apparatus developed by Finch when he disappeared at the Everest summit. Hmmmmmm.....
AKA Professor Max von Schiller of the Miskatonic Area Paranormal Society (MAPS)
AKA George Finch of the Secret Everest Expedition
"Let's see if someone tries to kill us and work backwards" -- Dr. Who

Tariq
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Tariq » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:19 pm

And my character is Nawang Wangdi, a 23 year old Nepalese Sherpa with only four years of experience but already a competent mountaineer and climb resource manager. Nawang speaks Sherpa, Nepalese, Hindi (basic), and a little English. He is also very superstitious and wary of both sudden changes in weather and the foreigners who hire him... (could there be a link between the two?).

Sorry folks only just realised there was a page two to this thread.

I assume the expedition will need native guides who can be trusted to keep their mouths shut... and for double the usual prices that's my character.

That said if it is better for game play I'll happily take one of the pregens.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:39 am

Tariq wrote:And my character is Nawang Wangdi, a 23 year old Nepalese Sherpa with only four years of experience but already a competent mountaineer and climb resource manager. Nawang speaks Sherpa, Nepalese, Hindi (basic), and a little English. He is also very superstitious and wary of both sudden changes in weather and the foreigners who hire him... (could there be a link between the two?).

I assume the expedition will need native guides who can be trusted to keep their mouths shut... and for double the usual prices that's my character.
Excellent character concept, Tariq. Were you present on any previous expeditions? It's 1925, so if you've been at it for four years, you could have been on both the 1922 and 1924 expeditions. Up to you. You'll get an extra die for cultural expertise when applicable, and that could come in very handy.

There will be about 15 Sherpas hired to assist in this operation. The Sherpas would be selected from a group of veterans that former leader Charles Bruce trained -- the so-called "Tigers" -- who were intensely loyal to Bruce. Yes, the pay will be quite attractive.

With your English skills, you would indeed be a really important coordinator. Many of the returning foreign climbers know some Nepalese, but it's very helpful to have language skills on both sides of the cultural divide. I'd like to introduce a key NPC, the group's main translator, who is called "Karma Paul." Perhaps Karma Paul is a mentor of yours? Perhaps there is a family connection?
Plays for Keepers

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:41 am

Housekeeping

- Once we get into the story, let’s use [square brackets] to indicate questions or talk that is “above game.”

- We’ve got some good momentum at this point. Everyone seems responsive, and I appreciate that. If you think you’ll be out of the loop for more than a couple of days, just post a quick update to let the group know. I think most everyone has played PbP before, yes? I’m new at running one, so please be patient -- and also feel free to offer advice.

- Since this is a public forum that others might read to check out the game system, I’ll try to err on the side of over-explaining rules. But please pipe in if you feel something’s not clear. There is plenty of interpretation involved here.

- A question for the group: would you like me to start an Out of Character thread? Many PbP games have them. It keeps the main thread clean, but it means checking more than one thread.

Deadliness

To review, if you fight any Mythos creatures directly, you will indeed die. Also, if you try to fight anything empowered by the Mythos or supernatural forces, you will die. However, you may try to thwart, stall, or harm such beings through indirect means – we’ll handle the dangers or efficacy of those attempts as they arise. It’s implausible that a character holding a grenade wouldn’t chuck it behind them as they run away from a monstrosity. That’s not going to get you automatically killed. It's also not going to win the game or save the planet. There will likely be grey areas. Human cultists, mildly tainted hybrids, spellcasting -- we'll have to deal with those kinds of things as they come up.

Exhaustion

This is an optional rule suggested by the game's creator. I think it fits the mood of this scenario.

Choose a die to represent your exhaustion. (If you're rolling virtually, just be clear which of your "throws" is for Exhaustion.)

Like Insanity, your Exhaustion begins at 1.

You can optionally roll your exhaustion die any time your character is doing something that is physically exerting, such as fighting, climbing mountains or running away. If your exhaustion die ties with any other die that you rolled, increase your exhaustion by 1.

When your exhaustion reaches 6, you are dead.

Any time you fail a physical task, you can roll your exhaustion die after the fact as many times as you want. Each time you tie with another die you rolled, increase your exhaustion by 1.

The Keeper may call for an Exhaustion roll if a particular task or situation warrants one.

Failure

If anyone in the game, including the Keeper, thinks it would be more interesting for someone to fail at whatever they’re attempting, they may roll a single die to try to improve the result. If the challenger (spoiler?) beats the original result, they may describe what happens instead of the success.

If the player for some reason must succeed in this task for the adventure to continue (finding a key clue, gaining access to an important location, etc.) then I’ll disallow the failure option.

Drawbacks

If the highest result of a given set of die rolls is a 1, the Keeper will allow the task to be successful, but there will also be a drawback. Ex: You successfully jump out of the back of a moving truck, but you end up with a pronounced limp and severe road rash. You find the article you're looking for in the library, but you accidentally leave behind some sensitive notes. Fog rolls in. You alert the guards. It's true that you can always re-roll your dice if you want to add the Insanity die. But I'd like to encourage players to allow a few "1" results here and there. They won't break the game. They usually just mean complications. This is me daring you...
Plays for Keepers

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:10 am

Sounds good. Couple questions:

- would you like me to start an Out of Character thread? Many PbP games have them. It keeps the main thread clean, but it means checking more than one thread.

I think so. I think it would be helpful

Under exhaustion: Any time you fail a physical task, you can roll your exhaustion die after the fact as many times as you want. Each time you tie with another die you rolled, increase your exhaustion by 1.

Why would you want to do that? I'm not seeing the point to roll it after failing a task.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/