Cthulhu Dark -- A Secret Everest Expedition

A place for games to be managed and run, as well as looking for people to play with online.
Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor
Re: Cthulhu Dark -- A Secret Everest Expedition

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:45 pm

Tariq wrote:[I roll 2! Oops. Assuming this isn't enough can I roll on San as well? If so I roll 3... Not much better]

Wangdi struggles with the rope at the rail... But realising time is short he considers simply charging after the vanishing tracks...
[A [3] is perfectly adequate, and you'd be able to tie in to the rope if you wanted to. +30 Respect Points for going all in with your Insanity Die! Clearly, you don't need to roll against your Insanity because your Insanity Die didn't yield the highest result among your dice.]

[Just to review the mechanics for everyone in the future -- if you decide to add your Insanity Die or Exhaustion Die for another go, you actually get to pick up all of your dice again and make the roll. According to the rules, you can do this again and again until you get the result you want, but each time your Insanity Die is the highest of your dice, you have to roll against your Insanity. And each time you choose to put your Exhaustion Die into the pool and it matches one of the other dice, you have to roll against your current Exhaustion. Does that make sense? I'm assuming that so far people haven't been risking lots of extra rolls because we're still in the beginning stages, but I want to be sure everyone knows you have the option to roll again and again for risking inclusion of those special dice.]

[So, for now I'm just going to write out what happens to Wangdi. I hope you're ok with the interpretation. Basically, this roll was just for following the tracks and finding Odell, and the [3] does the job (so would a [1] or a [2], but I might have been meaner about my interpretation of the result).]

Wangdi fumbles a bit, but manages to wrap the rope around his wrist and drag it out along the tracks. He finds that the light from the lantern bounces back against the driving snow, illuminating the ground below and helping him follow the boot tracks, but making it much harder to see much of anything beyond ten feet.

Odell's tracks seem to lead Wangdi on an intercept course toward the other line. He drags out a full length of rope at 100 feet, then pauses as the Sherpa helper ties an additional length at the rail. Then the Sherpa yanks twice to signal for him to proceed.

After a few more feet, the tracks actually cross over the other party's rope, from the east (monastery side) down the valley to the west, farther away from the safety of the complex. 30 feet. 40 feet. 50 feet.

The line becomes heavier as the coil feeds out, and he is dragging quite a lot of rope by himself as he reaches nearly 200 feet along the tracks.

Suddenly, a crouched figure emerges into the sphere of Wangdi's lantern light -- the shape is barely two yak lengths away when he notices it -- it's Odell, and he's kneeling in the snow with his rifle aimed out into the blizzard.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Tariq
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Tariq » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:23 pm

Wangdi slowly approaches Odell.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:19 pm

Ansfrid manages to corral Champo with hand signals, and herd him back along the safety rope. The monk bumbles along in a daze, but does not seem to be injured. Finch comes to his senses, and follows along. Ansfrid, averting his eyes, does not notice that the thing in Champo's hand is a short length of intestine.

"Mee goww," he keens hypnotically. "Dzooooo."

After doubling back one whole coil length, 100 feet, the three meet up with Trafford and Hingston, who quickly recognize Champo and see that he is covered in blood.

[trevlix, it is now your turn to roll 1d6 against your Insanity. If you roll higher than 1, your Insanity increases by one and you get to describe your reaction.]
Plays for Keepers

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:01 pm

The shock of seeing Champo covered in blood momentarily stuns Trafford.

Insanity roll (1d6=6)

When he recovers his thoughts go back to his brother.

"Ansfrid, what did you do to George?!?!"

His muscles stiffen and his face turns red as he tenses himself, preparing to pounce on Ansfrid.

[Trafford: Insanity: 2, Exhaustion: 1]
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:40 pm

"What? What are you talking about? Pull yourself together man. Help me get Champo inside." Ansfrid pays no attention to Trafford, and returns his attention to getting Champo back to safety.

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:57 pm

"You've hurt my brother!" Trafford yells, pointing at the blood-covered Champo.

A burst of wind picks up, blowing snow into Trafford's eyes. He rubs his eyes to remove the snow and the act of doing so appears to have brought him to his senses. Trafford looks around, realizing where they are and that Champo is not his brother.

Still somewhat confused as to what just happened, he moves forward to Ansfrid, quietly muttering an apology and working to grab Champo and help him along.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:53 pm

Odell spins around, jumping up from his crouch, and levels his rifle at Wangdi.

"Haaaah!" he bellows, eyes wild with fear.

After a moment, his panic softens slightly, and he slowly takes his finger off the trigger.

"Damn! Bloody damned hell, Wangdi! I might have shot you clean through!"

Then, he crouches slightly again, his head dropped and cocked to the side.

"Shhhhh!"

Then, whispering, "there is something out there, Wangdi. Maybe some things, Out there in the snow. Listen."

Meanwhile Ansfrid, Trafford, Hingston and Finch manage to usher Champo back toward the rail, but after a few dozen feet they notice that a second rope has crossed over their own. Just as they begin discussing what to do, the group hears Odell shouting in fear from the outward end of that rope.
Plays for Keepers

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:27 pm

Keeping a safe distance from the gory Champ, Ansfrid says, "Finch, can you please lead Champo back to the monestary? I'm going to check out that shout. Ansfrid then begins to follow the other rope line. If it's possible, Ansfrid will untie himself from the first lead, and then connect himself to the other.

If not possible, then he'll disconnect himself from his current lead, and then grab and follow the other rope by hand.

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:44 am

Trafford will insist on joining Ansfrid, tying themselves together if necessary.

"No one should go alone in this weather," he says.