Lamentations of the Flame Princess

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
Gladius
Sponsor
Sponsor
Lamentations of the Flame Princess

Post by Gladius » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:26 am

I came across this RPG courtesy of the BGG geek awards. I found one thread where Tak mentioned it, but not much else.

Has anyone played it? Tagging on to Chad's recent discussions about Cthulhu Dark Ages and D&D, this seems like it might fit a niche in there somewhere. I haven't yet seen the book, although you can grab the free, art-less PDF here:
http://www.lotfp.com/RPG/

The art I've been able to find on Google is intriguing...just wondering if anyone has actually played it, or converted the adventures for CoC or some other system...

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor
Re: Lamentations of the Flame Princess

Post by Keeper Jon » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:01 pm

I have not played it yet, but I have heard really good things about it. I also heard, (but cannot confirm), that it has a lot of Lovecraftian elements in it.

Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree

Post by Nvision » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:32 pm

I've worked on a few books for LotFP, and am working on another right now. It's a very cool game, in the OSR vein, but with a focus on Weird Fiction and Historical gameplay. The core books are set against an early 1600's backdrop, primarily European, but there are other locations and more in the works. Cosmic horror is a strong element across most of the material I've seen, and it ranges from very dark and gritty to very pulpy (the stuff I'm working on now is inspired by Jack Kirby comics). The last book I worked on was centred around an extraterrestrial entity, worshiped as a god, that did its best to cater to its adherents...but that language/thought barrier caused a fair amount of (incredibly horrible) misinterpretations...

It shouldn't be difficult to convert to BRP, as the published adventures are relatively light on crunch and statistics, and several are very sand-boxy.

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:34 pm

Nvision wrote:I've worked on a few books for LotFP, and am working on another right now.
Thats very cool!

Which base set would you recommend getting? IIRC, there were a few different ones.(?)
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree

Post by Nvision » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:50 am

If you want the background, or to play with the LotFP system, the core Rules & Magic book is available in bare-bones text for free, or you can get it with pictures in PDF or print for a very reasonable amount. If you're looking for specific adventures to convert to CoC rules with a similar feel, I'd suggest trying out The Monolith From Beyond Time & Space, The God That Crawls, or the epic Carcosa (a MASSIVE sandbox reference).

Gladius
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Gladius » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:39 am

Great, I've downloaded the free rules (and there are a couple of free adventures) but it seems some of the attraction is the artwork!

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:49 am

Yup, I'd play that.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:14 pm

I have been following this game for a long time. I would really love to play/run it!

TAK
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TAK » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:08 pm

I'm still here :o

And yes, I own a bunch of LotFP, 3 versions of the core rules and a whole bunch of adventures/campaigns etc.
If I had more time I would've already been devising a "grand" campaign to include most of the books... unfortunately I don't have that much time these days... In fact I haven't ordered some of the latest books due to lack of time to even read the ones I have now.

Anyway, the game goes from Clive Barker style gore horror and body mutations to very Lovecraftian cosmic, with a capital C, horror and at times has some sexual innuendo thrown in, I mean, there is an adventure called "Fuck For Satan" :P . Some of the early adventures/campaigns are in a more traditional fantasy setting, but the recent ones (including the core rules) are moving towards 1600 European setting, which I find really interesting, e.g. their 2013 Free RPG Day Adventure is a huge campaign set in the Thirty Years War.

I for one would not be able to play in a "traditional" fantasy setting after reading these books, it would be too damn boring and predictable. Oh, also, there is no set monsters, pretty everything you will come against is a one off, in some cases (walking, "talking", giant penis) that is a blessing.

Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree

Post by Nvision » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:16 pm

Passing this on from James:

"Just a reminder that if you're curious about LotFP, the best way to find out all about it is to download Better Than Any Man.

It's Pay What You Want so you can check it out at no cost, and it has all the best and worst content (writing and art) and attitude LotFP has to offer.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/116452/Be ... rs=0_0_0_0"