Eternal Lies

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
Odin
Sophmore
Sophmore
Re: Eternal Lies

Post by Odin » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:51 am

I personally like the CoC world and mythos specifically because it's so different from D&D. This coming from someone that's historically played pretty much only D&D.

I wouldn't want CoC with a D&D skin, it's better in it's own skin.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:08 pm

Just to clarify, I love Cthulhu Dark Ages as a setting in its own right, and I see vast potential for horror gaming in that era. I hope very much to see more scenarios written for it, and can't wait to see the new edition. I'm just skeptical of using it as a recruiting tool to pique the interest of D&D players, unless those players are already familiar with other systems and games that are not focused on heroic story arcs.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:35 am

All the splat books that came out in the first decade of this century led to many spinoffs. Why is it so hard to think that CDA may have been partly put out to attract some non CoC types?

And also we're presuming said people would run using CoC. I recently saw people blogging about the MoN campaign. One was using FATE and another Savage Worlds. Horrible mechanics to create deadliness on the scale of regular CoC but if that's the only way to get them into it so be it.

D&D has so many more people than CoC. I would totally tap that market as a means to put sales up.

(Chad): I've had some people blunder along in convention games for CDA. Usually I give a warning speech at the beginning as I evoke the era. When someone does something stupid I give them one last warning and tell them that is the last time and that next time we roll dice to see what happens. Most get it then but a few keep pushing to test me or simply don't care. They learn the hard way. :twisted:

In one CDA scenario a player decided in Act III that he and two other PCs would rear attack an army numbering over 500 warriors. Fortunately for him it was his first and last warning. He got it then. Another player in that game incited some Norsemen and had received his first warning. They gutted him as he begged they answer his questions (because a high persuade skill should get you whatever you desire, right?) but they laughed and kept torturing him. He passed out from the torture but was revived later. He didn't try that angle again. Oh, he basically asking them to reveal their secret mission and didn't offer anything. Woops.

One player decided to attack a Mythos being and told me he knew he would die. He died in one round and was surprised. He didn't think I would pull the trigger. :ugeek: Some people gotta learn the hard way.

Outside of those examples the majority of players new to CDA (and some of them are D&D players) get the changes.

Check out the early Oscar Rios scenarios especially The Ravenar Sagas. That has a lot of combat in it that would make any Old School D&D players gleeful.

It wouldn't surprise me if CDA was intended to get some D&D types. It's irrelevant to me whether all the people buying said product would adjust to the setting. There's always an expected percentage of buyers that get the books yet never play or hardly ever play I would think.
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

EddyPo
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by EddyPo » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:45 pm

Well our Eternal Lies campaign should be wrapping up with our next session. All signs point to TPK. Very exciting!
Not a hack!

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:33 pm

Our group has finished Mexico.

We now have a choice between Thailand or Malta.

Gladius
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Gladius » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:17 pm

My luck I happened across a ToC campaign that was just starting up - finally I get to play instead of be Keeper!

Depending on how that goes, I may try to run Lies myself...and if it turns out I don't favor the ToC rules, converting to CoC should be a piece of cake.

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:26 am

If I were to ever run EL that is how I would do it, Gladius.

EddyPo
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by EddyPo » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:00 pm

So yeah. We had a TPK. We were in bad shape as it was and ended up blowing ourselves up. After that, our keeper reset things a little bit to let us finish the campaign completely. It was an awesome ending. This is a great campaign and Michael is a superb keeper. He's planning on running some ToC one-shots so keep an eye out. He'll be looking for players.
Not a hack!

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:51 am

EddyPo wrote:So yeah. We had a TPK. We were in bad shape as it was and ended up blowing ourselves up. After that, our keeper reset things a little bit to let us finish the campaign completely. It was an awesome ending. This is a great campaign and Michael is a superb keeper. He's planning on running some ToC one-shots so keep an eye out. He'll be looking for players.
Agreed it was quite fun campaign to see the different endings & Michael was great at running it. Looking forward to playing with him in the future for some of the one shots in whatever Gumshoe or CoC game he does as it was quite fun & a great way to get into either system to try them out.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:42 am

Interested.

Our Keeper is off skiing so we are still wrapping up Mexico.