Will you upgrade to 7E or do a blend per this video chap?

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
Wordcraftian
Senior
Senior
Re: Will you upgrade to 7E or do a blend per this video chap

Post by Wordcraftian » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:11 am

That's a good point, length of game is definitely something to consider, and may indicate that this rule is best implemented on a case by case basis.

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:12 pm

Shannon Mac wrote:If it's a campaign or miniseries then a PC can use all the luck desired.

A one shot is a different beast. Someone with a starting luck of 90 points for a six hour game probably has too much. I'd make it a percentage in such cases like 20-50% depending on the scenario and length (I have one Cthulhu Dark Ages scenario that is roughly 12 hours and have run at cons).
Good point.

Gladius
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Gladius » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:57 pm

My group ran the 7e playtest back when (two years ago almost?). I've already been incorporating some of the rules changes into my game since that time or even before. I've always had significant house rules that I've used for various reasons, and I don't expect this to be any different. Bonus/Penalty dice, chase rules, modified initiative, SAN spends (instead of Luck), Levels of Success with rolls (full skill, half skill, 5% skill) are all examples of things I've been using for a couple of years now.

I like the new concept of Pushing a roll and will probably use it but won't use SAN/LUCK spends in my future games.
I'm not sure how much I like the new combat system - where every combat action is essentially an opposed roll. I may try it for some one-shots but I don't think I will use it if I run a campaign for my usual group of players, who like more tactical combats.
The new Sanity system remains to be evaluated. I already mess quite a bit with the Sanity system and I still haven't found a system that really works well for me; it's not clear if the new system of insanities is any better.

In short, it's same old, same old. Use the bits you like, don't use the bits you don't like, and change the stuff you want to change to make the game fun for your group.

SamS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by SamS » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:49 pm

I can't wait for 7e to come out. I just hope I can afford it. I may have to sell a kidney and a lung after seeing the cost of Orient Express.
Don't get me wrong i'm going to buy that too but I want 7e first.

As far as the rules I'm jumping in with both feet and will use all the rules in the book. Because what I have heard and seen so far looks awesome!
Sam Stamps
Keeper of my own little reality.