So, I've never role played...

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
Obi_Tick
Freshman
Freshman
So, I've never role played...

Post by Obi_Tick » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:36 pm

I've never role played before, however I've always been a Lovecraft fan, I happened to find the MU Podcast and really think I want to get involved.
A few questions, I know a new edition is coming out; is it smart to wait for that book or buy the 6th ed book?
Next I've done a fair bit of mini gaming as well as card gaming, so should I be buying MANY of the source books for this game like other styles of gaming or just the main book?
I don't know anyone local, so how hard is it to get into a skype group for the game after I learn a thing or two?

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
Re: So, I've never role played...

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:12 am

Welcome to the forum!

I think it would serve you well to go ahead and find a copy of the 6th edition rules. The 7th edition are still in final editing, so it will be later this year when it will be available. If you get a 6e, you'll be able to get familiar with how the game works while we wait for 7e. The rules are completely comparable with each other, so you won't be learning everything all over again, just some minor changes to how some aspects work.
I think it's reasonable to just start with the core rulebook. It has character creation, creatures, running games, and sample scenarios in there. My group literally played for like 3 years using just the core book when I started. I would rate the Investigator's Companion as a potential #2 book to get. That will flesh out the character options greatly, but get comfy with them in the core book first.
The other thing apart from the core book would be dice. You'll need a standard set of RPG polyhedral dice. These can be found inexpensively for a starter set.

As for finding a Skype game, just keep an eye here on the forums. Folks will post here when they're looking for someone. There may even be groups opening up now and then specifically for new players.
:welcome:
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Obi_Tick
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Obi_Tick » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:11 am

Thank you man, by the way LOVE the MU Podcast!

MikeM
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by MikeM » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:13 am

Hi

You might also want to download the free Call of Cthulhu quick-start rules from www.Chaosium.com - the new version is the basic 7th edition rules and includes a scenario too.

Welcome aboard!

Mike
Mike D Mason
Call of Cthulhu Line Editor, Chaosium Inc.

Shimmin Beg
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Shimmin Beg » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:16 pm

Obi, for what it's worth, this is one of those games you can actually run without anything other than a d10, pencil and scrap paper. The quick start guide is highly recommended, but if you have at least a rough idea what the rules are you can kind of make it up as you go along. You kinda need some stats, some skills and a Sanity mechanic, and that's about it. Oh, and a plot seed. That's the important bit.

Personally I think the 6th Ed rulebook was a very solid (if slightly disorganised) book, my own take being that works better as something to read through and get an understanding of the game than as a reference (due to said disorganisation). I hear 7th Ed is good from people I have confidence in, but haven't happened to run into it yet. Anyway, what I'm saying is I'm not knocking the rulebook, just wanted to emphasise that grabbing books and memorising rules isn't something to worry much about. Most people find that scenarios are the main thing they get because inventing investigations that hang together is trickier than building dungeons full of monsters* and people don't always have time.

It isn't at all necessary to own the Cthulhu rules, have read any Cthulhu or played an RPG to play this game. It's one of the friendliest I've seen to new players providing someone gives them the low-down on what they're trying to do. I've successfully run games for several people new to both gaming and Lovecraft, including my Dad. It's the willingness to engage that's key, and a vague grasp of the premise and willingness to abide by the genre. Knowing the rules isn't particularly something players need to worry about. Heck, I know at least one person running Call of Cthulhu in some kind of World of Darkness hack right now because it's familiar to the group.

*although not trickier than building really good dungeons or coming up with a constant stream of good reasons for the PCs to end up in them. One of the main problems is that investigations don't lend themselves as much to reskinning as combats do. You can call a monster something else and shuffle the fights into a different order, but it's hard to reuse a plot.

Sorry, end screed here...

caddy1071
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by caddy1071 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:56 am

Hi Obi! Welcome! Yeah, with 7th Ed being a ways off, I'd suggest going with the 6th Ed book as it has everything you need to get off and running. I'd ALSO suggest picking up the 7th Ed Quickstart as Mike Mason suggested, as I'm really digging the rules so far and and think they will make a big bang when released... However, they do just get you the basics of the game for the time being - I ran Scott Dorward's Blackwater Creek at Nexus Game Fair in Milwaukee this year under 7th Ed, but I included a lot of to be released game content by picking it up off of the Good Friends of Jackson Elias podcast, hosted by Paul Fricker (the other new 7th Ed author besides Mike M for this edition), Scott Dorward and Matt Sanderson. (Their website is http://blaphemoustomes.com, or you can get the podcast on iTunes, etc.) After power listening to the 7th Ed rules episodes (chase rules (VERY cool), pushing rolls, luck use, opposed rolls and much more I'm sure I'm forgetting), I was able to piece together some of the cool new mechanics in playable form and got some great gaming out of it... I'm planning to do an online run of Blackwater Creek as soon as I can (right now, it looks like it will be unfortunately after Gencon :( ), so if you're interested, keep an eye on the board. :)

So, anyway - I guess I'm reflecting Dan's view - 6th Ed is great to have to get the whole deal for now and get yourself playing with a ton of support material. You can get the 7th Ed Quickstart PDF for free, so you can run The Haunting out of it, and they have released "Deadlight" as well for the new system; and your prepped for the future! :p

Good luck in finding your gaming opportunities! CoC is a blast - enjoy!

tty!
Cory
Geekery Unbound