I might have a live local group of gamers

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor
I might have a live local group of gamers

Post by Keeper Jon » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:07 am

So I told a co-worker about the Starfall Over the Plateau of Leng kickstarter, and how I'm into role-playing games in general, and Call of Cthulhu specifically. And now, at his suggestion, we're going to try and start a gaming group formed with co-workers. So far, it's me, Andrew, and Allison. Andrew is pretty sure he knows of one other person who'd be game.

Andrew initially discussed a fantasy RPG, but both he and Allison are interested in trying out CoC. So, we'll start with that, since it's totally in my wheelhouse. We're going to aim for a campaign style of play. I'm already planning on having a Lines & Veils discussion with them to establish boundaries. Then, I want to see if they have any preferences on a particular style of campaign they'd like to experience. With that information, I'm going to first review published scenarios to see what I can find that will fit the bill. And maybe I'll eventually write something original for the group.

Man. I'm excited for this. It has literally been DECADES since I've had a steady in-person gaming group. Freaking weird.

Since I obviously have kids, the plan is to play most of our sessions via Google Hangouts, but on occasion we'll do an honest-to-goodness "meat space" game in a conference room at work after 5PM.

I don't think I'll be able to reliably record the games. So I'll have to settle for game reports here in the forums.

Wish me luck!

Naps
Freshman
Freshman
Re: I might have a live local group of gamers

Post by Naps » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:01 am

Hooray for Meat Space. Just remember: go easy on the eye-contact, and maintain a constant blink-rate. They find it calming.

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:53 pm

Good luck, playa.
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:35 pm

At first I was trying to decide what scenarios I need to string together for the first campaign, when it dawned on me that these CoC newbies need to be baptized in the fires that is "The Haunting."

I found a new house floorplan to use, and I'm adding an attic. So I'm beginning my preparations now.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:51 pm

That is excellent, man! Looking forward to reports!
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

TheStoryteller
Freshman
Freshman

Post by TheStoryteller » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:38 pm

Jon, that sounds like a great idea. I'm in the same boat you were, as it's been AGES since I last had a chance to play OR run. I feel like my head might explode if I can't get some RP going before long. (Hopefully it's inspiration, and not another Shan infestation...) :blink: Anyway, Might I suggest you try this: in place of the Corbitt house, use a non-Delta Green version of the house from Detwiller's Music From a Darkened Room. I'd decided to use that the next time I introduce people to CoC... and as a possible introduction to DG for future games (if any PCs survive/stay sane).

Shimmin Beg
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Shimmin Beg » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:32 am

That's awesome! I hope it works out for you. For what it's worth, recording via Ventrilo is easy, so if you do want to record stuff you could use that instead of/as well as Hangouts. I do meatspace recordings with a handheld cheapish (£70) recorder just sat on the table and it works out pretty well (see here for examples).

I'm groupless right now since I just moved overseas, and although I know there's a small amount of gaming here, I don't know anyone and my Japanese isn't good enough for gaming :( I'm hoping to do a bit of PBP with my old group to keep my hand in. Skype isn't going to work out, the time difference is a killer. I'm just left gaming vicariously through everyone else!

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:29 pm

My group has begun our game. All of my players are brand new to Call of Cthulhu, with one of the players totally brand new to tabletop role playing games period.

I'm running them through The Haunting, but I've made a few significant changes to it. I hope everyone enjoys the changes. Unfortunately, there was a total failure on Google's part to allow me to record our first game. Tonight is our second game session. I'm hoping for better luck in recording. We'll see. Wish me luck.

Once I get a few of these in the can, I'll start getting them into our MUP Actual Play feed.

TheStoryteller
Freshman
Freshman

Post by TheStoryteller » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:56 am

That sounds pretty cool. Can't wait to hear you guys. Good luck, (or is it "Break a leg"?) with the game and recording.

caddy1071
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by caddy1071 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:58 am

Keeper Jon wrote:Once I get a few of these in the can, I'll start getting them into our MUP Actual Play feed.
EXCELLENT! Looking forward to it! We can all use some more Master Hook. :p

Have fun and give 'em hell, Jon!

tty!
Cory
Geekery Unbound