Cthulhu Dark: How far can I push the SAN?

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
flashbackjuice
Sophmore
Sophmore
Cthulhu Dark: How far can I push the SAN?

Post by flashbackjuice » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:16 am

So I am making a Cthulhu Dark game for tomorrow, which is set in a Japanese High school. I have a few questions about the SAN system in CD:

How many SAN encounters would be appropriate for a one-shot CD game? Because of the school's history (in which the PCs will be trapped) I want to hint as to the horrible history of the school and what is happening, but I don't want to go overboard and have the players hit that 6 too early (even with the SAN suppression rule). For those who have run CD games, how many encounters do you feel is appropriate, but still manages to convey to players that they are (essentially) in a hell hole?

On a related note: would it be plausible to ask for SAN checks during earthquakes? I intend to have a few key moments in the game where earthquakes occur. If it is plausible, should I ask for one every time an earthquake occurs, or just for the first initial earthquake?

Thanks for your time!

fallingtower
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Re: Cthulhu Dark: How far can I push the SAN?

Post by fallingtower » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:16 pm

Well with Cthulhu Dark it's possible to go through all of the character's SAN after failed 5 rolls. Bad news. So, going hog wild on the SANity blasting will render them insane and out of the game pretty fast possibly.

But...

There's a way to do this without destroying them. Have them roll for terror (it's one of my house rules). Just roll for sanity and if they fail, then they're affected by the horror of the situation, it's not sanity blasting, so they don't lose any sanity points. They're just pants crappy scared, screaming, fainting or curled up in a fetal position, sucking their thumbs in the corner.

You can have them roll for terror for earthquake fer sure....it's all up to you as the Keeper.
If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences.

H. P. Lovecraft

flashbackjuice
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by flashbackjuice » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:59 am

fallingtower wrote: There's a way to do this without destroying them. Have them for terror (it's one of my house rules). Just roll for sanity and if they fail, then they're affected by the horror of the situation, it's not sanity blasting, so they don't lose any sanity points. They're just pants crappy scared, screaming, fainting or curled up in a fetal position, sucking their thumbs in the corner.

You can have them roll for terror for earthquake fer sure....it's all up to you as the Keeper.
That's actually a great idea! I can use the terror check to have them react to the situation, but save the SAN check for things that should not be. Will give it a try tonight!

Thanks fallingtower!

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:11 am

Hi! Graham told us that a good guideline is to have players roll the insanity about ten times during the game. That way the odds work out to have at least a couple of characters teetering on the edge, and maybe one going completely over the brink by the end. Its pretty unlikely for a player to lose all six in a row.

Going fully bonkers is also a kind of treat for many players, so you might not need be too concerned about overdoing it. Its a moment in the spotlight that can be most memorable.

One trick that works very well for me is on mild scares in the beginning, pose it as a question: Do you think this would disturb so-and-so? And honor the choice. If they want to play a steely cop type, they can say no, and it's a moment of characterization for them. Usually the end result is that players later jump at the chance to roll the insanity die.

And don't forget about the rule allowing those with insanity of 5 to start decreasing insanity by suppressing or destroying evidence of the mythos. A character can survive a long time if they choose that option.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

fallingtower
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fallingtower » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:06 pm

flashbackjuice wrote:
fallingtower wrote: There's a way to do this without destroying them. Have them for terror (it's one of my house rules). Just roll for sanity and if they fail, then they're affected by the horror of the situation, it's not sanity blasting, so they don't lose any sanity points. They're just pants crappy scared, screaming, fainting or curled up in a fetal position, sucking their thumbs in the corner.

That's actually a great idea! I can use the terror check to have them react to the situation, but save the SAN check for things that should not be. Will give it a try tonight!

Thanks fallingtower!
No problemo. :cthulhudance:
If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences.

H. P. Lovecraft

flashbackjuice
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by flashbackjuice » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:53 am

The game went pretty well! I like CD's emphasis on roleplaying, and the house rule of the "terror roll" really made players scream out loud as they acted out their terror! I will be running this game again in a few months, and will edit the recording and post it here (when I have the time!).

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:02 pm

Great!
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:04 am

With Dark as it takes a minute or two to come up with character name & profession, for general idea of specific skills if using that, you can go through SAN quick or slow but just be expected to have some players filling in others a lot as it tends to happen.

*tip for players, jot down a few names/professions on some paper just to have them ready.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)