For Fantasy RPG GMs

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Re: For Fantasy RPG GMs

Post by fox01313 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:29 am

Fantasy: try the following.

1. Dungeon World - part of the Apocalypse World light system about $10 or less on drivethrurpg. Think of playing D&D without all the tactical stuff so it's more RP/storytelling. Plus the google+ community of the DW Tavern is great for all kinds of games or rules discussions.
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/1 ... geon-World
http://www.dungeon-world.com/

2. Cthulhu Invictus - plenty of great things with BRP rules & great writers, can also use the Dreamlands & Dark Ages for fantasy+Cthulhu too.

3. Gurps also good as it is the 2nd best universal system behind BRP on doing it all with similar rules.

4. Also believe there's fantasy stuff available with Fate too.
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/1 ... _44284_0_0
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

Umbrage
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Umbrage » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:52 pm

Fate is good for everything. For fantasy specific options, I've heard good things about Dungeon World and like the system from non-Dungeon versions, and for D&D-like things 13th Age actually looks good to me, with character creation helping to enforce roleplaying a bit.

But there are 2 fantasy games I love. For generic fantasy flavored one-shots or short/infrequent campaigns, Barbarians of Lemuria is a lot of fun. It's kind of like old school games but with a more modern design feel. Very simple rules, doesn't need a map, can be campy fun.

But the best fantasy roleplaying game ever? The Dying Earth. Specifically, I'd recommend starting with "The Dying Earth Revivification Folio". It streamlines the rules, especially the character creation. It's great for one-shots but you can totally make a campaign of sorts out of it. Show your players where Vancian magic came from!

A warning: Dying Earth is very RP-heavy, and instead of having a standard adventuring party, it assumes the players are all petty, vindictive wizards of varying levels of competence who speak in extravagent, awkward ways. The system rewards you for dropping certain pre-written big phrases. Players are encouraged to mess with each other. It isn't for every group, but if you have a group that can roll with it, it's amazing. The scenarios in the Revivification Folio are a good way to get people into the right frame of mind.

Wordcraftian
Senior
Senior

Post by Wordcraftian » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:17 pm

Might be "so three years ago" but Savage Worlds is a very inexpensive system to get into. Not obscenely crunchy. And you can make just about any game you want. Oh, and also it's inexpensive...