Kid comics?

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
Kid comics?

Post by KeeperMurph » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:54 pm

This is off topic I know, but my nine year old daughter is showing some interest in comic books. I have been mostly out of the comic scene for a few years now since I don't have a local shop anymore.

So what are some age appropriate comics that I can get her to read and foster this burgeoning nerd?

Have YOU seen the yellow sign?

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor
Re: Kid comics?

Post by Keeper Jon » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:23 am

Is she into the My Little Ponies? They have a new comic that I've read is doing very well in sales. I think Boom Studios is publishing it. They are a quality company.

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:31 pm

My daughters have started getting into comics as well recently, and I've been out of it for a while. Plus, I was a Marvel guy and they're more into DC, so I'm learning as well. :)

My youngest (11) is a huge Spider-Man fan, so I've been getting her Superior Spider-Man, which came out after Amazing Spider-man finished its run. However, Amazing Spider-man is starting back up again in April, and may be a good time to start her there. Marvel is also doing a Marvel Babies (or something like that) series which is kinda "kid-ish".

There is also a TMNT comic based on the cartoon (both my girls like that). Be careful - there is a difference between that one and the original comic.

My oldest (15) is really into Batman, so she's been getting some of the Batman off-shoots that are going on now, including the Forever Evil series and Harley Quinn's own comics. I've found that DC comics cover darker and more mature material than Marvel does. With her being 9, you may want to steer clear of most of the DC stuff for now. There may be some that are less dark.

There is a Scooby-Doo/Batman cross-over comic that is out that I like (very similiar to the old SD cartoon cross-overs).

May I recommend http://www.midtowncomics.com/ for back-issue ordering. I've ordered a lot from them and have very good success.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:03 pm

Awesome guys thanks.

Have YOU seen the yellow sign?

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:29 pm

Any comics by Disney are usually a good bet, I think. I grew up with those, and still buy issues once in awhile for holidays like Christmas and Easter for the seasonal themed comics.
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.
-"The Strange High House in the Mist" by HPL

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:36 pm

Also, my five year old son loves Spongebob comics cause he's also addicted to the cartoon.

Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree

Post by Nvision » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:19 pm

I was surprised to find a whole kids comic section at the shop I used to frequent. Most of the major companies have versions of their core titles aimed at a younger audience. My son grabbed a copy of Teen Titans GO! (a tie-in to the show, in the same style), and my daughter got a PowerPuff Girls comic from IDW which had some really good artwork in it. If you want to start with trades grab some of Jeff Smith's Bone or Kazu Kibuishi's Amulet. Both are excellent reads for kids and geeky adults.

Benjamin.wenham
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Benjamin.wenham » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:34 pm

Mouse guard

Sent from Carcosa

Riq
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Riq » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:45 am

I would always suggest Asterix and Tintin comics for kids and adults alike.

Both are fun, intellectually stimulating, can be used to encourage reading and addressing important life issues, have great art and engaging story lines. Plus you can read them with your kids and enjoy the stories as much as they will!

Also, some of the Tintin stories are perfect gateway stories into the Mythos... Prisoners of the Sun, Tibet, the Black Castle and even Flight 747 all have a strong mystery / supernatural element, that tied with the 20s to 40s setting will lead neatly to Lovecraft when your daughter is old enough to appreciate his works.

Asterix is the natural gateway comic to more fantasy based RPGs, especially historically motivated systems like Hillfolk... Or even a pulpy, kid friendly Cthulhu Invicta.

Otherwise, I'd recommend Books of Magic by Gaiman, Vess and others (especially if she liked Harry Potter and is ready for a slightly darker better told version that predates Potter by a couple of years).

Oh, and Ted Niafer has done two sets which have won awards, Polly and the Pirates (which I've not read) and Courtney Crumrin which is utterly amazing... Though you should read it first to assess suitability. Both are published by ONI Press and should be orderable from their website (possibly in ePub or kindle friendly ebook version).

Finally I would echo the distant call from Carcosa and second Benjamin's excellent suggestion of the Mouse Guard.

hastur
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by hastur » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:29 pm

JTHM. :twisted:

otherwise, Adventure Time is awesome. and a second for both Asterix and Tintin.
say it three times, girl
there's no tomorrow
and there's no today
say it three times
i'm not far away

i survived the Post GenCon Random Bizarre BS episode