What do Keepers owe their players and vice versa?

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor
What do Keepers owe their players and vice versa?

Post by Shannon Mac » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:40 pm

This came up while I was listening to the "Fear the Boot" podcast.

As a Keeper what do you feel you owe the players? What do you feel the players owe you? Have you discussed such expectations at the gaming table and how did it go if you did it? Or, do you feel some things are just obvious?

I liked that they had distinctions in what players and GMs do not owe their players. Feel free to answer
that part as well.

You don't have to listen to the podcasts to participate in the discussion, by the way, but
they are interesting assuming you are into podcasts and/or listen to them at work or
during commutes.

http://www.feartheboot.com/ftb/index.php/archives/3500

http://www.feartheboot.com/ftb/index.php/archives/3573

P.S. Yes, I capitalized Keepers on purpose. :ugeek:
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor
Re: What do Keepers owe their players and vice versa?

Post by Keeper Jon » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:33 pm

As a Keeper, I feel that I owe it to the players to be as well informed about the scenario I am running to the best of my ability. If I'm fumbling through papers trying to figure out what is in the room they are searching, then that only serves to pull the players out of the game experience. And that is something I can't stand in myself, when I'm running a game.

As a Keeper, what do I feel that the players owe me? I think they owe me their attention and buy-in into the game. I won't lie, it bothers me when players start having their characters do off the wall campy things just to be silly. It bothers me, and I suspect it bothers the other players who actually want to build a collective story together.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:34 pm

Keeper Jon wrote:I won't lie, it bothers me when players start having their characters do off the wall campy things...
Oops, it's possible that I have resembled that remark...in a certain Arkham-based game...
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

PirateLawyer
Senior
Senior

Post by PirateLawyer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:17 pm

Concentration and focus. Nothing wrecks a horror game more than players who aren't paying attention or a keeper who isn't attuned enough to the players to adjust the pacing of the material to the sensibilities of the players.

If you can achieve genuine collaboration, you'll have a good time. If some of the participants will not concentrate or focus, they have no business being at the table.

(As a Keeper I have one simple rule that helps in this ADHD age of technology: I ban smartphones and tablets at the table unless they are being used as aids for the game.)

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:08 pm

Dr. Gerard wrote:
Keeper Jon wrote:I won't lie, it bothers me when players start having their characters do off the wall campy things...
Oops, it's possible that I have resembled that remark...in a certain Arkham-based game...
Uh... not you. ;)

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 am

I've got this on my to do list. I'll fill out a reply soon.
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:56 pm

Shannon Mac wrote:I've got this on my to do list. I'll fill out a reply soon.
You better. ;)

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:08 pm

Keeper Jon wrote:
Dr. Gerard wrote:
Keeper Jon wrote:Uh... not you. ;)
Good save, bro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2en2oKYx9SY
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:54 pm

As a Keeper, I feel my biggest responsibility is for everyone to have fun. This is done through knowing the material, knowing the system, and knowing how to screw around with the players in a manner they will enjoy. :)

As a player, its my responsibility to have fun and not screw the Keeper over (too badly).
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Gladius
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Gladius » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:38 pm

trevlix wrote:As a Keeper, I feel my biggest responsibility is for everyone to have fun. This is done through knowing the material, knowing the system, and knowing how to screw around with the players in a manner they will enjoy. :)
+99

This is my guiding philosophy - while I'm running the game because I enjoy running it, it's my job to make sure the players have fun, not force them into my expectations of what they should enjoy. If I find out that they are not enjoying the game, then it's my responsibility to change what I'm doing. If doing that would make it no fun for me, then better to stop the game than keep doing something that no one is going to enjoy in the end.

As a player, it's equally my responsibility to let the GM know if I'm not enjoying his game. Maliciously screwing with the game because you're not enjoying it, withdrawing from active participation, or just not showing up - those are crappy ways of dealing with something you're not having fun at. Better to tell the GM so that he can try to change what he's doing, or bow out of the campaign so he can find new players.