Recommended Movies

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
mrjohnmarchughes
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: Recommended Movies

Post by mrjohnmarchughes » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:14 am

Regarding Pan's Labyrinth: I know the entire world thinks Guillermo del Toro is infallible, but might I be permitted to suggest that "Pan's Labyrinth" pales into insignificance when compared to the extraordinarily beautiful and haunting "The Spirit Of The Beehive".
If you're looking for an evocative Spanish language film exploring the strange impact of Fascism upon the nation's children, then you'd be doing yourself a serious disservice by choosing to watch Guillermo's over its much earlier, much stranger, and much more satisfying predecessor.
I fully expect the world will disagree with me.
slippery thump

zombiemaster
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by zombiemaster » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:04 am

I have really enjoyed all three Riddick movies. Pitch Black, The Chronicles of Riddick and Riddick.
Both Kick Ass movies are a ton of fun.
Try, Under the Mountain. It's a tween movie, but totally worth the watch for any Mythos fan.
Beasts of the Southern Wild, check it out. May or may not be your thing, but it's very good.
Frankenteins Army. Total. Must. See. I just bought the Blu-Ray.
Iron Sky is a lot of fun.
Cabin in the Woods. One of the best takes on monster/slashers films ever made.
Moonlight Kingdom. Cute and quirky.

and...

Big Trouble in Little China. Even if you've seen it, watch it again.

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:18 pm

Another good Lovecraftian themed movie that I just finally saw is Stephen King's The Mist from 2007. Normally got tired of most of King's stuff from the cinema after a huge amount of them to me were rather tame so after hearing many recommendations for that one it's quite good.

edit-also found that after a few years of a delay on rewatching it a couple days ago, the Koontz movie 'Phantoms' wound up to be rather interesting to fit loosely in a Lovecraft kind of mood of a film.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

BoscoBoy
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by BoscoBoy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:17 pm

Not a mythos themed movie, but a very creepy documentary, "Titicut Follies". Real life insanity, banned in Boston.

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:54 pm

Beyond Dream's Door (1989) - http://akas.imdb.com/title/tt0096919/

One of my favorite horror movies, and one I've taken a lot of inspiration from to create a weird surrealistic experience for my players.

It's about a nightmare that if you're told about it, you get if yourself, and a gate between the world of dreams and our reality that has been left wide open, blending both worlds with each other.
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.
-"The Strange High House in the Mist" by HPL

SeaOfTrouble
Freshman
Freshman

Post by SeaOfTrouble » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:21 am

Bellow are listed two somewhat current movies that emulate a traditional COC scenario amazingly. If you have not seen them, DO!!!

* The Banshee Chapter (HPL is mentioned in the movie, and I really enjoy the Hunter Thompson knock off character)

* The Ruins (holy Sh@# so disturbingly good)

Note: I would love to know what others think on these films. I think all players should be forced to watch them.

caddy1071
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by caddy1071 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:41 am

A cool alien invasion movie via Ken Hite from Ken & Robin Talk About Stuff - Alien Raiders. Excellently done for a movie without an endless budget. Some cool concepts for CoC play, as well - I guess it's more Delta Green-ish, but a great watch. :)

tty!
Cory
Geekery Unbound

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:52 am

caddy1071 wrote:A cool alien invasion movie via Ken Hite from Ken & Robin Talk About Stuff - Alien Raiders. Excellently done for a movie without an endless budget. Some cool concepts for CoC play, as well - I guess it's more Delta Green-ish, but a great watch. :)
Funny, I just listened to this podcast and will watch Alien Raiders. They also mentioned a film named Absentia, which I have found but not watched yet.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

caddy1071
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by caddy1071 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:59 am

trevlix wrote:Funny, I just listened to this podcast and will watch Alien Raiders. They also mentioned a film named Absentia, which I have found but not watched yet.
Hi Trevlix! Yeah, I did watch Absentia from their recommendation as well. :) It was a really good film, and definitely well within the bounds of weird horror. I guess I actually was a >a little< disappointed, probably because I thought it was going to be an amazing film, but definitely can see where others might think it's right up their alley and love it. Definitely worth a watching! Have fun!
Geekery Unbound

fallingtower
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fallingtower » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:18 pm

With New Orleans and Mythos in the wind...

Watching Angel Heart...though not Mythos based, damn I forgot how good of a movie it is. Got Satanic Voodoo O'plenty though.

And Mickey Rourke why? Your face, once so affably handsome to a plastic surgery disaster.

Anyway...Angel Heart...it's on Netflix.
If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences.

H. P. Lovecraft