guidelines for magic point cost?

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
hastur
Sponsor
Sponsor
guidelines for magic point cost?

Post by hastur » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:12 am

so, time for some new spells for the more foolish of my cultists. before i wander off and compile something myself, is there a set of guidelines for magic point costs for spells? e.g. a spell which will kill a human should cost around X points, one which affects one square mile with terrible effect should cost around Y, etc.
say it three times, girl
there's no tomorrow
and there's no today
say it three times
i'm not far away

i survived the Post GenCon Random Bizarre BS episode

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor
Re: guidelines for magic point cost?

Post by Keeper Jon » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:17 pm

Good question, hastur, hastur, hastur...

There's not a hard-n-fast rule on MP costs in spells, but I try to use MP as a gauge of the "size" and "weight" of a spell. If the spell is quick-n-dirty, maybe it only effects the caster, or is non-damaging to a target, then I go with a low MP cost, (but not so low as to encourage it to be cast ever hour of the day)... 3 or less MPs per casting. If the spell is a fast casting damage inducing spell, then I go for a 4 - 8 MP cost range. If the spell is a long casting ritual, then I make the MP cost high enough that it will require MP input from other participants in the ritual casting. Usually something greater than 15 MPs.

Hope that helps.

hastur
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by hastur » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:42 am

thanks, keeper jon.

i'm finding most useful utility spells around 1-4 points, with the really useful ones at 5-8.
personal transformations and effects seem to fall in the range 9-16.
8 magic points gives you a shot at killing a person, 16 makes it likely, and 24 dead certain.
large environmental effects really start at 20, with alter weather being potentially the most expensive (possibly too expensive).

at that rate, 32 magic points per square mile to awaken volcanic rifts and vents is probably fine.
come on cultists, time to get to work!
say it three times, girl
there's no tomorrow
and there's no today
say it three times
i'm not far away

i survived the Post GenCon Random Bizarre BS episode

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:05 am

I'd also look at the overall spell & try to compare it to other spells on the general effect to get an idea. For a submission spell I just created for the Unspeakable Oath (unknown if accepted yet or not), I wanted a low MP cost as it could go over many hours with a non-combat spell. There's plenty of spells out there to get an idea on what a new spell might cost & you should be able to get a good idea too off the other suggestions in this post as well as just rereading other published spells to see if those would match the one you're making.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)