Inspiring Quotes

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Inspiring Quotes

Post by Graham » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:09 pm

A thread for quotes, such as this modified version of one from an old chess book that could provide scenario inspiration.
"Young Mr Student, permit me to introduce you to Hastur, but before doing so let me warn you that the old gentleman will seem at times rather complex and extremely hard to know. After having become acquainted with him, however, you will find that, like most tried and true friends, he will be the means of giving you many a pleasant hour, and the longer you are associated with him, the greater will become your desire to know him better. In the many years that I have been associated with Hastur I have valued his friendship above all others. Besides helping me forget my troubles, fancied and real, he has led me into the circle of good fellowship the world over, to which only those who know him have entrée.’"
for the original, unaltered version see:

Mitchell's Guide to the Game of Chess: Being a Complete Course of Instruction for Beginners

https://archive.org/stream/mitchellsgui ... 4/mode/2up
Last edited by Graham on Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Re: Inspiring Quotes

Post by Graham » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:56 pm

Blurb from a rather forgettable thriller:
"Terror in London...a diamond heist in Africa...a kidnapping in Bangkok... All that connected them were whispers, rumours and chance remarks - but they were part of a gory trail with no beginning and the very deadliest of ends"
Basikasingo (John Matthews)
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

Riq
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Riq » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:00 pm

Dear Sir and Madam,

I am Professor Dr. Nyarlathotep And I am the director of the First International Carcosa Bank Limited of Carcosa, and I have been given your details by our trusted friend, as I believe you are someone which I can entrust this most crucial assignment.

Please, several months ago our most senior customer has died from entirely natural purposes, but he has done so without any heir to claim this great fortune. It is a fortune worth of $200,000,0000.0 in gold and precious diamonds and cash in the vaults of the First Carcosa International Bank Ltd. But if this money is not claimed by a person who is a heir within the 4 month expiry time then all the money will be stolen by the tax collection ministry.

This is where you can save us from the problem, by please providing us with your bank account so that we can place the whole money by direct transfer to you then we shall transfer out $150,000000 and leave with you the balance as your fee. We will also please require a blood sacrifice and a small portion of your soul.

It is with sincerely the kindest regards,

Chief Executive Opperater Dr Nyarlathotep
From one of the many emails in my Spam folder.

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:15 pm

I don't particularly care about ghosts, vampires or werewolves; they've been killed by repetition. Lovecraft, Poe and C.A. Smith are the rare ones who did a splendid job with them. There are plenty of good stories in neurotic psychology ready to be used. There are good stories in everyday things. Trains, crowds, motor-cars, submarines, dogs---the wind around the house. I'd like to use them much more. And there's much good stuff buried in the green leafs of childhood and the heaped dead leafs of old age. I want to get at that, too. I want to write about humans; and add an unusual, unsuspected twist.
Ray Bradbury, Weird Tales, Nov 1943

Original credit to gbsteve on yog-sothoth.com for posting the quote. I just love it.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Graham » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:41 pm

...I have not spoken of the work Santha and I did in the South Pacific around the Tahitian islands of Taiatea and Huahine, or of the strange things we saw underwater off the Tongan island of Haapai.
Graham Hancock, Underworld, 2002

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Graham » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:55 am

Rather than a quote I'm linking to scan of part of the cover of a 1970's WWII set pulp action novel, which Keepers may wish to use for inspiration.

https://app.box.com/s/ohuw6o5sww7miplxymgg35e6xuim5d4v

TAK
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TAK » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:34 pm

Maybe not particularly inspiring, but I hold these words dear to my heart at work:

"I'm going to ride that horse we've beaten to death,
and deliver its stinking carcass to your doorstep"
-Lamb Of God, Another Nail For Your Coffin

Tore
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Tore » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:26 pm

“I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony; but chaos, hostility and murder.”

Werner Herzog - Grizzly Man
Where Yig doth tread no man treads tomorrow.
Reeking death, harvest of humans in hatred.
Suck on the shitbag of what you created, what we created.
Yig now incoming, Yig now is here.
Yig he makes everything impossibly queer.

Mahaffa
Junior
Junior

Post by Mahaffa » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:12 pm

That Herzog quote is really only complete with his amazing accent.... Mere mortals need not apply, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tore
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Tore » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:40 pm

Mahaffa wrote:That Herzog quote is really only complete with his amazing accent.... Mere mortals need not apply, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very true. :D
Where Yig doth tread no man treads tomorrow.
Reeking death, harvest of humans in hatred.
Suck on the shitbag of what you created, what we created.
Yig now incoming, Yig now is here.
Yig he makes everything impossibly queer.