Scariest Published Scenarios

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor
Scariest Published Scenarios

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:29 pm

I'm looking for the scariest published scenarios you've ever played. I feel like really scaring a new group of Call of Cthulhu players, so give me your suggestions. Only scenarios you've played or been a keeper of, please.
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.
-"The Strange High House in the Mist" by HPL

PirateLawyer
Senior
Senior
Re: Scariest Published Scenarios

Post by PirateLawyer » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:21 pm

Convergence, without a doubt. Author is John Tynes, it's in the main Delta Green book.

I've run it three times and each time my players were stunned and horrified by the central revelation (and many other events during the scenario). And I do mean genuinely horrified.

Zombieneighbours
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Zombieneighbours » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:57 am

Tatters of the king has its moments ;)

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:48 pm

Been wondering this too while trying to decide which of the Chaosium pdfs to pick up, been looking at the Arkham, Miskatonic U & Halloween pdfs. One thing to try is what was mentioned in the MU Podcast on New Orleans mythos where there's talk from Matt about taking some part of the scenario & making it really personal with one character & try to give that character nightmares. Having heard audio plays of that same scenario mentioned elsewhere, the scene in the question was rather toned down as a spooky opener versus the living nightmare done in the game Matt was running.

http://www.mu-podcast.com/mu-podcast-03 ... ns-mythos/

Try to find a few spots where an investigator might be alone or a few of them without the group & then find ways of giving them a couple of nightmares with some creative thought (or you can wait for one investigator to be alone with an npc & then target the npc to not only spook the character but also to better illustrate the threat going on). Good luck.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

flashbackjuice
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by flashbackjuice » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:14 am

I think a big part of what makes a scenario scary is how the keeper runs it. If you can draw out the tension and make the players feel like they can get snuffed out at any moment then nearly any scenario could work, especially one where the players are stuck in a confined place not knowing how to combat the evil. That said, one scenario (not published) that still has an impact on me is Music from a Darkened Room, not only because it is well written, but the keeper who ran it created just the right atmosphere that sent chills down our spine. He really made feel that the house had a mind of its own!

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:03 pm

What Flash said.

The Keeper's abilities are far more important in my mind.
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/