FRIDAY THE 13TH...Chhh..chhh...chh...haa...haa...haa

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
fallingtower
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
FRIDAY THE 13TH...Chhh..chhh...chh...haa...haa...haa

Post by fallingtower » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:39 pm

It's Friday the 13th and I'm getting ready to watch a hockey masked killer movie in celebration.
Which leads me to many important questions.

Who would win in a fight? Michael Myers vs. Jason?

Which F13 movie(s) do you like the most?

Favorite F13 kills?

Freddy vs. Jason...masterpiece or turd?

Camp Crystal Lake adventure ideas for Call of Cthulhu...got any?
If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences.

H. P. Lovecraft

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: FRIDAY THE 13TH...Chhh..chhh...chh...haa...haa...haa

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:31 am

fallingtower wrote:Who would win in a fight? Michael Myers vs. Jason?
Easy, Jason, especially after his resurrection in F13 Part 6 when he became some kind of unkillable undead.
In addition, Michael Myers got defeated by Busta Rhymes doing karate in Halloween: The Resurrection. What happens when you try to do martial arts against Jason? See F13 Part 8 for an answer where a boxer gets his head punched off from his body.
fallingtower wrote:Which F13 movie(s) do you like the most?
F13 Part 7 with the girl with telekinetic powers.
fallingtower wrote:Favorite F13 kills?
Swinging someone inside a sleeping bag against a tree must be my favourite.
fallingtower wrote:Freddy vs. Jason...masterpiece or turd?
Somewhere in between. F13 Part 5 and NoES Part 2, those are turds.
fallingtower wrote:Camp Crystal Lake adventure ideas for Call of Cthulhu...got any?
The BRP (4th Ed.) has a sample NPC, The Maniac, which is a kind of amalgam of horror movie slashers that could be used. As for ideas, the movies themselves have plenty of ideas that can be swiped and reworked into scenarios. As for mythos connections, well...
  • Delta Green investigation into mysterious events in the area around Crystal Lake.
  • Investigators hired as camp counselors, lots of free-play, but the Keeper makes NPCs, when they are alone or coupled, vanish when they get seperated from the group. Investigators might get attacked when they break the horror movie rules for survival.
  • Do everyone who drowns in Crystal Lake risk returning on a murderous rampage? Is the water tainted somehow, and drinking too much, may turn you crazy, give you rage-fuelled strength and/or turn you undead? Are there something in the lake that can spread to other bodies of water, a virus or an entity?
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.
-"The Strange High House in the Mist" by HPL

creatureslagoon
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by creatureslagoon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:34 pm

My favorite is part 6...zombie Jason! Also quite partial to part 4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4
Erich B.
Denton, TX

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:01 am

My favorite is Part 2. I think I was twelve years old, my uncle took me to the movies. Back in that day, you had a walkway down the center of the seats. I asked to sit in the front row, so we did. I took the chair right next to the isle, the seat next to me had been removed for repairs, so my uncle was one more seat over. I was basically alone through that movie, and it scared the living shit out of me. It was also the first movie I got to see boobies in. :mrgreen:

He was my favorite uncle for years. I was really bummed when my aunt divorced him. Her replacement husband is a total bore.

fallingtower
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fallingtower » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:23 pm

Answers to my own questions:

I think Jason would win in a fight vs. Mikey. He's more supernatural, unkillable, killing machine.

I am old enough to have seen the first three in their original runs...but my favorites have to be II & III (which I saw in 3D).

My favorite kills: The most memorable one for me was the 3D eyeball bursting head squeeze from part III. Why? Because in the theatre it made someone behind us vomit up Pepsi and popcorn and we had to scramble out of the way to avoid the 'flow'.

But my favorites are the wheelchair machete chop from F13/2 (a classic) and the back break on the sheriff from part VI.

As far as my feelings about Freddy vs. Jason. I went in with so low expectations that I was actually blown away. I loathed what they did with Freddy in the later Nightmare flicks...Freddy the yuckster...not the child killing Janitor, now dream demon. Fred vs. Jay brought back the Freddy that wasn't funny before frightening.

As far as crazed killers in Call of Cthulhu.
I ran a game which featured a serial killer. The killer didn't wear a mask though and he used industrial zip ties and a taser. He'd zap his victims and then zip tie their throats. It was pretty brutal, too brutal for some. It also answered why Detroit is the way it is.
If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences.

H. P. Lovecraft

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:48 pm

Personally like the first one, #6, #7 along with Jason X out of all of them. The rest have some fun moments but just found the stories in these to be spot on & #6 is probably the best to introduce someone to the series as it does a great job to make a Jason film more about the other characters.

Thought they did an interesting idea on Freddy vs Jason on mixing them together but just didn't quite hold up for me, mostly due to them ditching K. Hodder from the film as he did a great job at playing Jason in the last few films before it.

As for adventures in Crystal Lake, it'd be easy to get some investigations going where they are looking into some kind of ghost reports or missing people starting with Jason. Then shift it to cults, Mi-go or other woodland fun but the haunted campsite/cabins offer a lot of possible things (seems better that Jason treated more like a ghost or an urban legend than a serial killer for an adventure but could always go with some re-animated fiend in the area too).
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

AshtonRCClarke
Freshman
Freshman

Post by AshtonRCClarke » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:25 am

In sequence: Jason / one / tie between eyeball pop and fist through chest (I think in part 3?) / steaming turd / no idea. I liked the Halloween series much more than Friday.

Wordcraftian
Senior
Senior

Post by Wordcraftian » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:37 am

Interesting side note on the movie's main score: The sound is derived from two words specifically, "Kill kill kill... Ma ma ma"

Manfredini was inspired to recreate a similar sound for Friday the 13th. He came up with the sound "ki ki ki, ma ma ma", based on the line "Kill her mommy!", which Mrs. Voorhees recites repeatedly in the final reel. The "ki" comes from "kill", and the "ma" from "mommy". To achieve the unique sound he wanted for the film, Manfredini spoke the two words "harshly, distinctly, and rhythmically into a microphone" and ran them into an echo reverberation machine.[35]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_the ... franchise)

CthulhuDude
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by CthulhuDude » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:31 am

I can't believe I just noticed this. Jason has always been my homeboy, and he always will be. On to your questions.

"Who would win in a fight? Michael Myers vs. Jason?" -> Jason. Hands down and easily.

"Which F13 movie(s) do you like the most?" ->Part 4, the Final (hah) Chapter. It was THE first horror movie I ever saw (other than B&W creature features on Saturday afternoon TV) and it quite literally changed my life. I told you Jason is my homeboy. :)

"Favorite F13 kills?" -> There are so many to choose from. Kevin Bacon in bed from part 1. Wheelchair guy/machete to the face in part 2. Head crush/eyeball pop out and the walking on hands bisection of Part 3. Throat cut/head turned around, head crush in the shower, corkscrew/meat cleaver kill in part 4. The head strap, shears in the eyes in part 5. The back breaker, face through the RV wall in part 6. The sleeping bag kill in part 7. The head punch off in part 8. None in part 9 becasue that flick sucked. The face in liquid nitrogen/head smash in part 10. And the bed folding up in Freddy vs. Jason.

"Freddy vs. Jason...masterpiece or turd?" -> I like it a lot. It's not perfect and it takes several liberties (Jason is afraid of water? Really? Since when?) but it was a fun fan flick in my opinion.
“Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk.” ― Robert Bloch

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:33 pm

[quote=,CthulhuDude,]It was THE first horror movie I ever saw (other than B&W creature features on Saturday afternoon TV).[/quote]
Wait a minute...did you happen to watch those on Channel 56 in Boston? Creature Double Feature? With host Uncle Dale?
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers