7th Ed Quickstarter Rules are out!!!

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
fallingtower
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Re: 7th Ed Quickstarter Rules are out!!!

Post by fallingtower » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:37 pm

I like the needing a major wound to die rule. Having a character die from a punch out, never seemed copacetic with the old system.

Another quibble I had/still may have? is recovery rates from getting punched out vs.taking 12ga. buckshot to the stomach..

I had a house rule that 'fixed' this, I will probably still use or modify it if need be.

Something like:
Minor Wound: Healing rate X 4, Moderate: X 2, Severe: X 0, Deadly: 1/2 normal, Terminal 1/4 normal

This way getting punched out won't put you in the hospital for two weeks and at the same time, ensure that an investigator isn't up and about, running marathons a week after getting blood eagled by an angry Scandinavian.
If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences.

H. P. Lovecraft

Cthuhugh
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Cthuhugh » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:08 am

..and I like the name of the name of one of the guys in the example on pages 11-12.

Hugh once again fails to score! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Steve Highfield in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario. Fenton Beanland in the Call of Cthulhu "The Inheritor " scenario.

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:20 pm

Well, you were rolling against Captain Tightpants, so it was a long shot to begin with. :D
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

fallingtower
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fallingtower » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:34 am

JH33 wrote:Really pleased these have come out and agree the artwork looks great - very much liking what I'm reading too.

Cheers!
Where's Cthulhu? :fhtagn:

I think the art is very underwhelming. Poor choices. :shock:

I did like the frozen elder thing and the running for their life investigator art. :cthulhu1:

Shouldn't quick start rules really zing you, hook you, to grab your interest (if you were new to CofC for instance) :?: :doh:

• First...NO CTHULHU picture. Really...major mistake. :cthulhu2:
    Second...not very much of a horror vibe overall. :zombie2: :ghost:
    Third...machine gun clipart in Spanish? cut/paste/huh? :beltfed:
    Fourth...the same piece (Elder thing on ice) of art shows up 4 times in 46 pages :monster4: :oohyeah:
    Fifth...huge image of women's period fashion, but no monster or evocative Mythos-ish art. :monster3:
    6th...Flapper soft drink advert, but no Miskatonic U., no Arkham townscape...no ghouls, deep ones or byakhee's.:monster2:
    7th...Airplane clip art waste of space...again...something Lovecraftian would've worked better. :axe: :conspiracy:
    8th...Encyclopedia Arcana...but no Necronomicon...really? really? :argue2:
If I never heard of HP Lovecraft and Call of Cthulhu, the artwork in this QSR would leave me more confused.

Sarah: "Hey Steve, what's this Call of Cthulhu all about?"
Steve: "Well at a glance, I guess it's about airplanes, machine guns, soda pop, women in frumpy clothes and weird soldiers staring off with blank expressions."
Sarah: "Oh, for some reason I thought it had something to do with squid monsters and mind blasting horror."
Steve: "I don't think so...it doesn't seem like it's overwhelmingly horrific. There are a bunch of pictures of what looks kinda like a sea cucumber or the beach ball monster from Dark Star. And there is one pic that has a blob monster...somewhere. I'll have to read it I guess, I'm not getting a clear vibe about what it's all about, really odd mix of art for sure, most of it clipart. Oh yeah, I thought that Cthulhu was like an octopus head, maybe that blob is Cthulhu. Nope, babe (flipping through the printed pdf) no squid heads any where."

:cry:
If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences.

H. P. Lovecraft

JH33
Freshman
Freshman

Post by JH33 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:34 pm

I still like the artwork and it does pretty sum up the atmosphere of the game for me - personally. But totally respect the fact it doesn't do it for you (although I'm assuming the 6e quickstart doesn't do it for you either...)

I do love the fact that a game based primarily on the works of one author, writing primarily in one setting in one main time frame can lead to so many wildly different views about the how the game feels to them! The whole 7e debate has really brought that home to me. But I think that's a real strength of the game and the Mythos.

And.... if I can take the liberty of dragging Sarah and Steve off to a parallel universe.......

<imagine some wobbly lines>

Sarah: Hey Steve - look at this!
Steve: Oh awesome! Loads of monsters, tentacled nightmares and - hey, I remember the Necronomicon- is't that from that film?
Sarah: Yes, it is. We loved that. Lets give it a go.

3 hours later.

Sarah: I just. Don't. Understand.
Steve: Me neither. We spent one and half hours rolepaying being in a library?
Sarah: Yeah. And that bit where you through all those man's clothes out the window of the train. Why?
Steve: Sorry about that . I don't remember seeing ANY tentacles. At all.
Sarah: I kinda liked it though. The whole atmostpheric build up thing. Just not what I was expecting.
<Panic on Steve's face>
Steve: Oh no... you're going to start going on about taking time on the build up again are you.......

fallingtower
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fallingtower » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:12 pm

Sarah: "You know what Steve?"
Steve: "What?"
Sarah: "This gaming stuff is lame...have you ever been with a girl?"
Steve: "Errr...ahh...what about the library...the character build?"
Sarah: "No Steve...I don't care about that crap...I have an aching in my loins..." Sarah flings the QSR7e across the room.
Steve: "Hold on...I got some Ibuprofen."
Sarah: "No Steve...Ibuprofen ain't gonna help...I need an injection of Stevietussen."

In true Lovecraftian fashion...Steve makes a gurgling noise in his throat, then faints, never to see Sarah again.

H. P. Lovecraft

fallingtower
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fallingtower » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:59 pm

JH33 wrote: And.... if I can take the liberty of dragging Sarah and Steve off to a parallel universe.......

<imagine some wobbly lines>

Sarah: Hey Steve - look at this!
Steve: Oh awesome! Loads of monsters, tentacled nightmares and - hey, I remember the Necronomicon- is't that from that film?
Sarah: Yes, it is. We loved that. Lets give it a go.
If Sarah and Steve were encountering loads of monsters and tentacled nightmares, then they were not playing with the 7e quickstart rules...which basically has some rats and a floating knife for adversaries.

I just hope that the 7th edition book looks a lot better than the quickstart. I had high expectations...you know with the half million dollar payout and all.

H. P. Lovecraft